Advise needed: Hermes Kelly Sellier 32

7heblacksheep

Oct 2, 2013
I am torn and would love some (or more) advise on which to get for my first Hermes Kelly Sellier 32 bag. I, finally am able to squeeze in my budget to purchase a preloved vintage Kelly Sellier 32 but I am torn on which to get. I was certain I was going for the Rouge H Epsom GHW as the year-make was the same year I was born and the condition was extremely pristine, and I thought it would be a pretty rad birthday gift to myself but alas, it was not meant to be as I was just informed that it has been sold. :crybaby:

Here's where I need an advise, I saw two others, one is the Black Boxcalf GHW, and the other is a Blue Marine Epsom GHW. Which would you recommend as a first and quite possibly only Kelly, and why?

Also, for those who own boxcalf leather, how often do you maintain the leather? Any tips, do and don't with it?

I appreciate your kind advises.

Reactions: RT1

Joyceshing

Jul 11, 2019
I am torn and would love some (or more) advise on which to get for my first Hermes Kelly Sellier 32 bag. I, finally am able to squeeze in my budget to purchase a preloved vintage Kelly Sellier 32 but I am torn on which to get. I was certain I was going for the Rouge H Epsom GHW as the year-make was the same year I was born and the condition was extremely pristine, and I thought it would be a pretty rad birthday gift to myself but alas, it was not meant to be as I was just informed that it has been sold. :crybaby:

Here's where I need an advise, I saw two others, one is the Black Boxcalf GHW, and the other is a Blue Marine Epsom GHW. Which would you recommend as a first and quite possibly only Kelly, and why?

Also, for those who own boxcalf leather, how often do you maintain the leather? Any tips, do and don't with it?

For box, needs to be aware of rainy days. (╹◡╹)♡

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
I'm so sorry you missed out on the RH K 32 you had your heart set on. I have a BM bag (although not Epsom) it's a wonderful colour, and I have a BBK 32 which is to me the classic of classics.

Look at your wardrobe and make your choice. BM in a stamped leather will be like a muted ink and subtle, BBK quite definite, sharper and formal.

If your wardrobe is muted/pastel/grey/greyed-colour, and/or soft-shaped/casual go for the BM

If clear-colours/bright-colours/dark/minimalist/sharper/tailored go for the BBK

Last edited:

30th anniversary cuff
O.G.
Aug 31, 2008

In 2008, I bought a 28 BBK ghw because as a chanel bag person I assumed I would only have one H bag and I was not a birkin person....

I think that a BBK ghw is the classic H Kelly, but just as some people are not chanel jumbo ghw CF, it doesn’t suit everyone. After a lengthy spa and after H replaced the handle, arms and totally refurbished, I decided that I was in fact a phw B person instead.

if you are sure you are a ghw Kelly person, given that your first choice was also a classic combo, I would suggest the BBK.
If you are unsure, (and can treat both black and blue as neutrals in your wardrobe) then go for the best price, best condition one, and be sure to authenticate.

I adore Prada Saffiano and find it is extremely durable. I’ve been less impressed with H corcheval or epsom and find that it can scratch and it’s not refurbishable to the same extent as a heritage leather . Epsom is a lighter weight, pressed leather with an even grain.

I do send my box, barenia, hunter and VN leather to be weatherproofed docride method), and in that sense, it requires slightly more maintenance.

finally, if you want to wear your Kelly crossbody, I suggest getting one with the double ring to avoid wear and rubbing on the handle.