Advice required in relation to purchase of bbag - paid through paypal NOT ebay

I have the sickest feeling in my stomach.

I wanted to buy a bbag from a reputable seller (2000+ feedback, all 100%) through ebay (buy it now) and contacted the seller for further information about the item. Each time, she replied pretty much immediately. I told her I needed time to think about the purchase as it was quite an amount of $$$. She told me that if I didn't buy through ebay, that is, she sent me an invoice through paypal, she would offer me a discount as she would save in ebay fees. I accepted her offer and paid her on Tuesday.

When I paid on Tuesday, she said that she would post my item the next day (ie wednesday) and let me know the tracking number. I did not hear from her on Wednesday at all and sent her an email just to ask her to let me know the tracking number once she has sent the package. She replied back on wednesday night saying that her internet was disconnected during the day, that she was sorry and would send my item tomorrow (ie. thursday) and let me know the tracking number.

Today is friday and I still haven't heard from her. The seller is in america and I am in Australia so I know there's time differences etc but I'm just getting paranoid given that I have not purchased through ebay and I don't think it will be as easy getting my money back through paypal if there are any issues.

Am I overreacting? This is THE most expensive fashion purchase I have made and I am feeling very nervous about it. I wouldn't be feeling as nervous if I had bought through ebay but given that I have not, I feel quite sick about it all.

My other problem is that the delivery address I gave her is my current work address. I am finishing up at my current job in two weeks so if she doesn't manage to post the bag soon, I won't be at this job when the bag arrives. I have emailed her to tell her this but there has been no reply.

I am going crazy with worry!

Has anyone been in this position before? Am I overreacting given that its only been a few days since purchase?

Yep.. this was not a good plan. And no, I do not think you are over-reacting, as any time a seller is non-reponsive for several days... makes ME quite nervous.

Please post link to the auction.

Typically PP will tell you to wait 7 days b4 filing an INR. And quite frankly, on NON-EBAY transactions, you do not have any PP buyer protection, only PP Buyer COMPLAINT of INR... and PP rarely recovers any funds on Buyer Complaints.
You DID pay w/ a CC? If so, call your CC co and explain that you have a non-responsive merchant, and ASK what is the procedure and time-frame for filing a credit card charge back.

Thanks Ellie Mae.

I will file a claim with PP after 7 days and have already contacted my bank (yes I paid with credit card). They said to contact PP first and if the outcome isn't successful there, to contact them again in order to start the proceedings for a chargeback.

I feel so frustrated as there's nothing I can do but wait.

Last edited:
luckily you paid with a cc!
some sellers seem to become unresponsive once the item is paid for, i do hope she is just busy and has send the bag...
keep us posted.

Thanks Ellie Mae.

I hope I don't get in trouble for posting the link because the seller might honestly just have been busy and not had the time to respond to me? I don't know what to think anymore!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...em=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&salenotsupported

I will file a claim with PP after 7 days and have already contacted my bank (yes I paid with credit card). They said to contact PP first and if the outcome isn't successful there, to contact them again in order to start the proceedings for a chargeback.

I feel so frustrated as there's nothing I can do but wait.

I do not personally know anything about this seller. And yes, she might just be busy, BUT, this seller has conducted a NON-ebay transaction, which is WAYYYY against ebay policy. NOT GOOD and NOT anything that leads a buyer to JUST TRUST. If this transaction goes awry, you also need to report the seller to ebay. People should not list on ebay if they don't want to SELL on ebay. SHE made more money by avoiding fees and left you hanging out to dry. And quite frankly, that's wrong by all standards.
Your CC co appears to be giving you sound advice.
Question... did you have the bag authenticated prior to purchase?

I am very embarrassed to admit this but I did not get the bag authenticated prior to purchase. I did a search on her ebay name and all the threads (many of which were TPF threads) which came up indicated that she was a trustworthy seller who sold authentic goods.

I am usually much more savvy with my internet purchases (in the past I have always authenticated any bags before purchase) and can't believe I have been so stupid with this particular transaction considering the amount of $$ I handed over to her.

I don't expect any sympathy - just wanted to see what my options were and really appreciate your responses.

I am very embarrassed to admit this but I did not get the bag authenticated prior to purchase. I did a search on her ebay name and all the threads which came up indicated that she was a trustworthy seller who sold authentic goods.

I am usually much more savvy with my internet purchases (in the past I have always authenticated any bags before purchase) and can't believe I have been so stupid with this particular transaction considering the amount of $$ I handed over to her.

I don't expect any sympathy - just wanted to see what my options were. Thanks for responding Ellie Mae!

Well, what I can see of the bag looks OK. But, I am no expert... and there are not enough photos on the auction to fully authenticate... such as no photo of bales, which is always a big key to auth.
I suppose be patient a few days, and hopefully the seller will respond soon w/ a tracking #. You've spent alot of $$, you are IMO entitled to a prompt response as to shipping.
Keep us posted! HTH anytime!

no need to feel embarrassed, i've done that in the past too. it is easy to get caught on the ebay moment!
there is still the chance that the bag might be on its way. i wish sellers would communicate, it isn't hard to send an email!

i am the seller, my ID is be-luxe. i recently moved and have been having problems with my newly installed internet which i communicated. that combined with my uneasiness of shipping a bag to an unconfirmed address (which we had corresponded about) has resulted in the bag not being shipped immediately as usual. this is not typical of how i deal with eBay transactions, but a case of extenuating circumstances. she wanted me to reduce the price and i offered a solution that was beneficial to both of us. i actually feel more comfortable about this entire transaction knowing that you are a member here. the bag is of course authentic, was purchased from barney's and includes the original tag still intact. i know we have spoken since you posted this thread, but i've just seen it and feel terrible that i've given you anxiety over it! as we discussed, i will be shipping to the new address you gave me via USPS express mail tomorrow. i am sorry for any uneasiness you might have gone through.

Last edited: