ADVICE! Quality, Durability, & Value - SLGs - Gucci vs. LV

Sep 2, 2013
Hi, everyone!

I have an opportunity to add to my SLG collection.

I am deciding between these:

(1) LV Zippy Coin Purse (damier ebene)

View attachment 3585526

(2) Gucci Signature Leather Zip Around Card Case
(red or black)

View attachment 3585517

View attachment 3585518

(3) Gucci Signature Card Case (red or black)

View attachment 3585521

View attachment 3585522

View attachment 3585523

View attachment 3585524

Do you own any of these SLGs?
Raves? Rants?

I would like to make a measured decision (as opposed to being impulsive). [emoji5]

Which brand offers the best in the following:

- Quality
- Durability
- Value

Which SLG in particular would be the better/best buy?

With LV, I worry about potential canvas and/or glazing issues.

With Gucci, I have no firsthand experience with this type of leather ("Signature"). And I have no idea about resell value for Gucci, in general, and for Gucci leather SLGs, in particular. And does Gucci offer repairs (for how long)?

The nearest LV standalone boutiques and department store boutiques are a couple of hours away. So that makes any potential repairs trips not that convenient. (Repair requests have to be done in person, correct?).

We have a Saks with an LV boutique in town.

I would like to make the purchase soon. I appreciate everyone's help!

Thank you!

Hi, I can't get your pictures to show up but I think I know which ones you are talking about. I have had both the LV and Gucci zippy coin purse and zippered card case, but sold them because they were too small/tight fitting for me. I am going to buy the Gucci card case that you mention sometime in the next two months. I have seen this in person and it is easier to get in and out of than the zippered ones and just as compact. I am not sure about holding coins though. If you have alot of coins, it might not be good. For me it will be fine since I don't carry alot or I will just use a cles. As far as quality, I am lately not happy at all with LV quality. I love the older items I have but the newer items just don't seem luxurious to me . LV's quallity is just not what it used to be. I have several Gucci bags and a few slgs. and have had no issues at all with with quality, glazing, ect. There is the question of where is LV REALLY making their items. Not sure but Gucci is only made in Italy and I don't think that's ever been an issue. In my experience there IS a difference where these items are made. I think with LV they still have good quality items, but you just have to fork out over $3000 any more to get that quality. Good luck deciding

While I don't have any Gucci slg's, I have many LV slg's. I have the zippy coin purse in Amarante Vernis, it's 2 years old, and I absolutely love it. It's a fabulous small wallet. I would not hesitate to recommend this in DE. I have 2 LV Cles in monogram and DE that are very functional, the small cosmetic case in monogram and DE, the mini Pochette in monogram that I use as a cosmetic case in tiny bags, a full size wallet in Empreinte leather. In my opinion, LV makes beautiful, classic and durable small leather goods. My original LV small wallet ( a style they no longer make) I purchased in 2002. I used it almost daily for over 10 years and sold it on eBay for $100. It was in excellent condition! I think LV will probably always be my go-to brand for small leather goods.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackGrayRed
Of all choices...I picked the Gucci Signature Card Case in red. The signature leather should be durable, and the compartments look more functional than the LV zippy coin purse.. I think someone here mention that it actually the Guccisimma leather, but for some ever reason, Gucci renamed it to signature.

Hi, I can't get your pictures to show up but I think I know which ones you are talking about. I have had both the LV and Gucci zippy coin purse and zippered card case, but sold them because they were too small/tight fitting for me. I am going to buy the Gucci card case that you mention sometime in the next two months. I have seen this in person and it is easier to get in and out of than the zippered ones and just as compact. I am not sure about holding coins though. If you have alot of coins, it might not be good. For me it will be fine since I don't carry alot or I will just use a cles. As far as quality, I am lately not happy at all with LV quality. I love the older items I have but the newer items just don't seem luxurious to me . LV's quallity is just not what it used to be. I have several Gucci bags and a few slgs. and have had no issues at all with with quality, glazing, ect. There is the question of where is LV REALLY making their items. Not sure but Gucci is only made in Italy and I don't think that's ever been an issue. In my experience there IS a difference where these items are made. I think with LV they still have good quality items, but you just have to fork out over $3000 any more to get that quality. Good luck deciding

Thank you!
I appreciate your insights!
I don't know why my pictures ended up like that.

Mods, can you fix it?

While I don't have any Gucci slg's, I have many LV slg's. I have the zippy coin purse in Amarante Vernis, it's 2 years old, and I absolutely love it. It's a fabulous small wallet. I would not hesitate to recommend this in DE. I have 2 LV Cles in monogram and DE that are very functional, the small cosmetic case in monogram and DE, the mini Pochette in monogram that I use as a cosmetic case in tiny bags, a full size wallet in Empreinte leather. In my opinion, LV makes beautiful, classic and durable small leather goods. My original LV small wallet ( a style they no longer make) I purchased in 2002. I used it almost daily for over 10 years and sold it on eBay for $100. It was in excellent condition! I think LV will probably always be my go-to brand for small leather goods.

Thank you!

Of all choices...I picked the Gucci Signature Card Case in red. The signature leather should be durable, and the compartments look more functional than the LV zippy coin purse.. I think someone here mention that it actually the Guccisimma leather, but for some ever reason, Gucci renamed it to signature.

That's my favorite one, too.
Red and black would be lovely!
My fiancé gave me the Signature Zip-Around Wallet (full-size continental wallet) in red for Christmas. [emoji7]
I love red.
I was thinking of matching this SLG to that.
Although, in black, it would be very practical. And then I would have both colors!

I think the Signature is a "sturdier/thicker" version of the Guccissima.

Thanks for your insights!

Reactions: allyloupuppy
Signature is just the new name for Guccissima ;) There were 2 types of Guccissima but we won't go into that. Only the structured one exists ATM

I only have Gucci SLGs no LV , and I've never had to replace. I'm guessing we're comparing leather against canvas, of course leather shows patina after a while. I only have one guccissima SLG and seems indestructible. Guaranteed for a year.

I can't do anything with the picture links because I can't see what you tried to link/load and/or how you went about it. How to load pics info is a sticky on the 'feedback' forum. Sorry I can't do more

I would probably compare the guccisima/signature wallet to the LV AMARANTE patent learher Zippy coin purse - i hv a rossmore crossbody with additional strap to go with it - my one is going 10years i think n i stuff it to the brim plus some for its soo compact - it would win hands down as the condition is still newish looking too. The ebene is a canvas so I would only do that choice if you wanted it to go with an LV handbag even then probably opting for one of their slimmer but longer wallet styles instead (i hv a couple of ebene bags n matched wallets actually). Guccisima is nice too - i hv a bag in it but no purse- i dont switch purses just bags often

Signature is just the new name for Guccissima ;) There were 2 types of Guccissima but we won't go into that. Only the structured one exists ATM

I only have Gucci SLGs no LV , and I've never had to replace. I'm guessing we're comparing leather against canvas, of course leather shows patina after a while. I only have one guccissima SLG and seems indestructible. Guaranteed for a year.

I can't do anything with the picture links because I can't see what you tried to link/load and/or how you went about it. How to load pics info is a sticky on the 'feedback' forum. Sorry I can't do more

Thanks.

I don't know why the pics won't load.
I posted the same question under "Louis Vuitton," and all the photos are visible with that one.

Here they are again:

(1) LV Zippy Coin Purse

IMG_1485467991.104302.jpg

(2) Gucci Signature Zip Around Card Case

IMG_1485468030.292060.jpg

IMG_1485468040.963675.jpg

(3) Gucci Signature Card Case

IMG_1485468089.277814.jpg

IMG_1485468102.109654.jpg

IMG_1485468118.940811.jpg

IMG_1485468130.126783.jpg

I would probably compare the guccisima/signature wallet to the LV AMARANTE patent learher Zippy coin purse - i hv a rossmore crossbody with additional strap to go with it - my one is going 10years i think n i stuff it to the brim plus some for its soo compact - it would win hands down as the condition is still newish looking too. The ebene is a canvas so I would only do that choice if you wanted it to go with an LV handbag even then probably opting for one of their slimmer but longer wallet styles instead (i hv a couple of ebene bags n matched wallets actually). Guccisima is nice too - i hv a bag in it but no purse- i dont switch purses just bags often

Thank you! [emoji846]

Thanks.

I don't know why the pics won't load.
I posted the same question under "Louis Vuitton," and all the photos are visible with that one.

Here they are again:

(1) LV Zippy Coin Purse

View attachment 3586474

(2) Gucci Signature Zip Around Card Case

View attachment 3586480

View attachment 3586482

(3) Gucci Signature Card Case

View attachment 3586486

View attachment 3586487

View attachment 3586488

View attachment 3586489

Yay, I can see them! Well done.

Love the red 'set'

LV SLGs used to be superb quality but the quality the last several years is lacking especially in terms of the glazing. My older SLGs have never had glazing issues. My two newer LV SLGs (Joey wallet and 6 Key Holder both in Damier Azur canvas) have both had glazing issues. When sent back to LV for repair, the reglazing they did was superb quality. If they had done a glazing job that good initially, the items would never have had to been repaired. Definite difference in glazing from old LV to new LV. Haven't had any quality issues past that. I think most of LV quality issues lie with their canvas line, not so much with their leather items. I don't own any Gucci SLGs but my bags have always been great quality.

LV SLGs used to be superb quality but the quality the last several years is lacking especially in terms of the glazing. My older SLGs have never had glazing issues. My two newer LV SLGs (Joey wallet and 6 Key Holder both in Damier Azur canvas) have both had glazing issues. When sent back to LV for repair, the reglazing they did was superb quality. If they had done a glazing job that good initially, the items would never have had to been repaired. Definite difference in glazing from old LV to new LV. Haven't had any quality issues past that. I think most of LV quality issues lie with their canvas line, not so much with their leather items. I don't own any Gucci SLGs but my bags have always been great quality.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

All the information everyone is sharing is very helpful. [emoji846]

Hi, everyone!

I have an opportunity to add to my SLG collection.

I am deciding between these:

(1) LV Zippy Coin Purse (damier ebene)

View attachment 3585526

(2) Gucci Signature Leather Zip Around Card Case
(red or black)

View attachment 3585517

View attachment 3585518

(3) Gucci Signature Card Case (red or black)

View attachment 3585521

View attachment 3585522

View attachment 3585523

View attachment 3585524

Do you own any of these SLGs?
Raves? Rants?

I would like to make a measured decision (as opposed to being impulsive). [emoji5]

Which brand offers the best in the following:

- Quality
- Durability
- Value

Which SLG in particular would be the better/best buy?

With LV, I worry about potential canvas and/or glazing issues.

With Gucci, I have no firsthand experience with this type of leather ("Signature"). And I have no idea about resell value for Gucci, in general, and for Gucci leather SLGs, in particular. And does Gucci offer repairs (for how long)?

The nearest LV standalone boutiques and department store boutiques are a couple of hours away. So that makes any potential repairs trips not that convenient. (Repair requests have to be done in person, correct?).

We have a Saks with an LV boutique in town.

I would like to make the purchase soon. I appreciate everyone's help!

Thank you!
I have the guccisima full zip wallet. Used daily for 2+ years and still flawless. The signature leather is extremely durable. I used to use a LV zippy wallet in monogram everyday but felt like I was going to destroy it eventually due to the canvases tendency to split, crack or tear with daily use. I've seen some LV in really bad shape due to daily use, shame considering the price point. So I only use it sparingly now. Go with the Gucci.
. FullSizeRender(41).jpg