Advice please!!!

BrownEyedMe

Aug 30, 2011
Okay fellow handbag lovers I'm in need of some advice. I usually don't post in this part of the forum, so if I'm in the wrong spot feel free to move me to the correct one.

I found a bag I really want, I added it to my watch list but didn't get around to buying it before the auction ended. The seller relisted the item so I added it again this time with the intent not to let it get away and to purchase it. I had a few questions about the size, color, color of the hardwear and style number so I contacted the seller and she responded in a timely fashion anwsering all my questions. She also stated in her response that it was her fault for not listing all the details in the auction listing and she would revise it later that evening. She has not revised the listing as of yet and our contact was Sunday afternoon.

The auction has a best offer option along with buy it now and regular auction option. I decided to submit an offer based on the listing price the first time I had the bag on my watch list which is less than the current price. The seller hasn't accepted or rejected my offer yet, and I know she has 48 hours to do so, so no biggie there.

Later today I decided to do a search on completed listings for that style of bag, and guess what.......I see the bag I have submitted the offer TWICE marked as sold in the completed listings???

I'm not sure what to think or do now. I have a pending offer that I can not back out of. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I did check the sellers feedback before making my offer. She has a score of 100% and 987transactions. She also has some more listings for bags, but all have 1 picture and the discription is pretty much the same for each listing.?.?.?

Here is a link to the action http://www.ebay.com/itm/230922899825?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1432.l2649

That does seem strange. It could be that she has run into several non paying bidders. I had a Juicy Couture item listed once that I had to relist three times. The first time around, the buyer didn't pay. It sold again to another bidder who also didn't pay. Crazy!

I also think she may have come across two non-paying bidders in a row. And the bag she's selling is NWT, so it wouldn't be surprising if she's bought more than one at a sale or outlet. If you've had this authenticated then I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for the advice. I know I'm being silly and a worry wort, but I would reather not get scammed if I had the choice....lol I know the bag is a pretty common one and it's not at Coach's higher end but for some reason I drawn to that style and color. Thanks again ladies, y'all are the best!!

In the listing she states that she is clearing out her handbag inventory. IMO that sounds like a reseller, so yes, she could have multiples. Closet cleaners (myself included) tend to say we are clearing out our closets or thinning our collection.

I also think she may have come across two non-paying bidders in a row. And the bag she's selling is NWT, so it wouldn't be surprising if she's bought more than one at a sale or outlet. If you've had this authenticated then I wouldn't worry.

+1

That is a MFF bag right? That would explain the price and the multiple bags gotten at once.

Update

The seller counter offered my offer, much to my relief. I told her no thank you since she had no return policy and did not guarantee authenticity. I had decided I would move on and the right bag would come along especially since the whole thing just didn't feel right to me. She contacted me again saying she would accept my origional offer if I still wanted it and she would ship it today. Before I had a chance to respond she accepted my offer through the listing and sent me an invoice asking for payment. Once again I contacted her and told her again no thank you and sorry for the inconvenience. I didn't feel obligated to purchase the bag since she had counter offered my first offer. Thankfully she filed a cancellation request and was decent about the issue. Lesson learned for me and hopefully her to. I have sold bags on eBay before and I made sure to have plenty of pictures, proof of authenticity and return policy to ease the buyers mind.

Update

The seller counter offered my offer, much to my relief. I told her no thank you since she had no return policy and did not guarantee authenticity. I had decided I would move on and the right bag would come along especially since the whole thing just didn't feel right to me. She contacted me again saying she would accept my origional offer if I still wanted it and she would ship it today. Before I had a chance to respond she accepted my offer through the listing and sent me an invoice asking for payment. Once again I contacted her and told her again no thank you and sorry for the inconvenience. I didn't feel obligated to purchase the bag since she had counter offered my first offer. Thankfully she filed a cancellation request and was decent about the issue. Lesson learned for me and hopefully her to. I have sold bags on eBay before and I made sure to have plenty of pictures, proof of authenticity and return policy to ease the buyers mind.
Why not have it authenticated on the forum?

Technically you got lucky. She did not have to send you a cancellation request. She could have waited and filed unpaid item case and you could have gotten a strike.
You actually committed to a purchase by making an offer. It does not matter if she countered it or not. You first offer counts as a commitment. In the future, do not bid/place offers unless you are 100% sure you will go through with the transaction.

I'm curious, how does one guarantee authenticity? I personally offer proof like copies of (or the original) receipt and details about where I bought the item. I was asked before if I can guarantee that the item it authentic, and I never understood what is expected from me: "Cross my heart and hope to die"?

Last edited:
I'm curious, how does one guarantee authenticity? I personally offer proof like copies of (or the original) receipt and details about where I bought the item. I was asked before if I can guarantee that the item it authentic, and I never understood what is expected from me: "Cross my heart and hope to die"?

Usually I say where it was purchased from and offer a SCU number. I do not send copies of my personal receipts. I do not want my receipts used for the wrong purpose. I also refer the buyers to this forum and ask them to authenticate it here.