Advice, Please

shadow1

Mar 5, 2006
Hi. I've never posted on here before, but I figured you guys know what you're doing.
I am a (and I stress this highly) completely straight, white male in college. I'm completely normal, in the sense that I do guy things like work on cars, play video games, etc. But there's one strange thing about me:

I, for some unknown reason, love purses.

There, I said it. I put myself out there. I can't help it. I love Vuitton, Coach, Dooney and Bourke, Chanel, everything. I see a girl with a DB It Tapestry Bucket Bag, and can't help but think of how cute it is.

My question to you all, is, what do you think about a guy wearing a purse? Not some ugly 'man-bag', but say a Coach Signature Hobo?
What would you say about a guy carrying a DB wristlet at the gas station?

I know, you're probably going to think I'm queer anyway, or say that you think it's stupid, but I need some real feedback. As wonderous as the internet is, I can't seem to find ANYTHING written directly related to my problem. So, go ahead, give me your worst.

to tell you the truth, i think it would be interesting to see a guy carrying a handbag. i would be lying if i said i probably wouldn't assume he was gay, but i do believe you're straight. a wristlet verses a full-fledged handbag might be a little less shocking to many people, but honestly, who cares what they think? that said, if you do buy a handbag/wristlet/whatever, please don't buy coach or dooney and bourke, i'm not a huge fan of those designers.

aha im the same so dont worry :biggrin: im a straight guy too but i would never carry a purse. I only have "man-bags" lol. But anyways, no I wouldn't really care. If that guy thinks it suits him then I have nothing against it :smile:

I'm at the point in my life where I say "be yourself and to hell with anyone who doesn't like it." If it would feel great to you to carry a DB wristlet, then do it. When I was growing up, it would have been unheard of for men to wear an earring (unless he was being a pirate for Halloween), but look how common and acceptable this is nowadays.

Wow, not even 10 minutes and I'm getting replies. Thanks for not making me out to be a monster (so far :weird:smile:. I do really like the wapity, but it's just a tiny bit more than I could afford right now.

One thing that I forgot to mention before is that I don't (well, entirely) want to carry a purse just for the sake of it: I feel I do need someplace to put my things, keys, phone, wallet etc. because I absolutely hate having things in my pockets. Just a little clarification there.

Thanks again.

Well,
I guess Im thinking a little different. I definetely dont think other opinions matter, but since you asked, for me, I'm just not diggin' the idea of some hot strapping guy using a purse. It just seems a little ummmmm....... weird. Sorry.

You probably can get away with wearing most of the brands you named and more, but your biggest problem I see is the style of the bags, (unfortunately society is not very sympathetic towards your love of handbags) if you don't want to be ridiculed, I would stick to more of the "manly" styles. You are definitely not alone...I know quite a few "macho men" who love bags too, but stick to more of what society will accept.

Welcome to the forum....if you're a purse lover, this is a safehaven for your addiction...we're here to support each other!

Society sucks, and it will be years before you will be able to carry a purse without tons of ridicule and people jumping to the conclusion that you are gay and all of that crap. If you can handle it, then go for it. I think it would do society some good to see a normal guy doing something abnormal.
I will say that I wish my husband shared my love of purses...wow, now that is a fantasy!
Who knows...start carrying one and you may find your soulmate.

I say get whatever you like. And as for brands, some of us may hate D&B (I'm sorta eeeh about them, but my white IT barrel is one of my favorite bags) and Coach, but if you love it (I love Coach), get them. And some of the guys bags, like the Hamptons ones, look kinda like the girls ones. Some people may think you're gay, but ignore them, my guy friend carries a bag that I would honestly carry, it is a small messanger, but its like... a good size for a girl or guy, and he has a bunch of man-purses, and he's awesome. So get what you like, hey, you may even be able to pick up a hot girl if she compliments your bag, or if you compliment hers.

Besides, I like things that most guys do, like video games and really gory horror movies, and a lot of them think its cool, so maybe girls would think that its cool that you like bags. I know I would definitley talk to you if I saw you with a bag that I like, lol.