Advice please clutch bag altercation with drop of ice water/ginger beer

Betsy2712

Mulberry Addict
O.G.
Nov 28, 2010
Hi all

My gorgeous Valentine Clutch Wallet had an altercation with I think either a drop of ice water or a drop of ginger beer (retro chic eh :smile:)

The spots were darker but have faded but I can still see the stain

I tried to apply kitchen towel and also connolil - I must confess I did use spray as I was worried and thought there was nothing else I could do

I have looked up handbag clinic but after reading reviews am dubious.

I'll post some pictures. Appreciate any advice. If only keep and wear in and the mark will blend

Thanks as always

Last edited:
Hi

I know this doesn't help but I have the exact same bag. I took it on honeymoon with me last month and my bag picked up the exact same marks. It must have been from ice too.
Thing is I always give my bags at least 7 layers of collinol before leaving the house so I couldn't understand it. My marks are exactly the same as yours only smaller.

I used furniture clinic on my chestnut mila (the cleaning kit which it stayed was compatible with my bag) and it took the colour clean off my bag. I did a test patch on the underneath of the bag thank god.
I personally would avoid furniture clinic

Gem xx

Hi

I know this doesn't help but I have the exact same bag. I took it on honeymoon with me last month and my bag picked up the exact same marks. It must have been from ice too.
Thing is I always give my bags at least 7 layers of collinol before leaving the house so I couldn't understand it. My marks are exactly the same as yours only smaller.

I used furniture clinic on my chestnut mila (the cleaning kit which it stayed was compatible with my bag) and it took the colour clean off my bag. I did a test patch on the underneath of the bag thank god.
I personally would avoid furniture clinic

Gem xx

Congratulations Gem :smile: :heart:

Thanks so much and I appreciate your reply. That is very interesting, and sorry to hear about your bag too. I have been looking at furniture clinic before and after and whilst they do an excellent job, they do look very matte after the professional work, so not sure.

Can I ask what you have done with your bayswater clutch? I am hoping as the bag is red will darken overtime and then wear in well.. Looks like the clutch will be coming to asda with me then ha ha

Oh no, so sorry to read about what happened to your clutch :sad:

I swear on baby wipes :biggrin: I had a BLACK pen mark once on one side of my dark blush purse (so more a sensitive color) and babywipes removed it completely. I know few other members here had good experiences with them. They are very sensitive and I guess you can easily compare a baby bum with our leather loves :smile: but the thing is that when you have any kind of marks on your leather goods, don't use colonil - it will include every mark/dirt under it's protection. I really hope that this will help!

I swear on baby wipes :biggrin: I had a BLACK pen mark once on one side of my dark blush purse (so more a sensitive color) and babywipes removed it completely. I know few other members here had good experiences with them. They are very sensitive and I guess you can easily compare a baby bum with our leather loves :smile: but the thing is that when you have any kind of marks on your leather goods, don't use colonil - it will include every mark/dirt under it's protection. I really hope that this will help!

Thanks :smile: - I tried a wipe too - a hand one though have used on my SBS for colour transfer and it works great - Its difficult I didn't want to meddle to much with this bag as its on the front and actually not that noticeable but i'm sure I had the potential to make slightly worse too. I don't think I have though.

I sprayed because I didn't want any other marks to appear with further handling. I now realise that wasn't the best idea, but wasn't sure what other option I had other than professional cleaning. I also tried sellotape which I think helped a little.

I will continue to use the bag and hope that as the bag wears in the mark will blend in with the leather. I have contacted M.com for any advice on the leather as well.

I am inclined not to use the handbag clinic at the moment, keep the bag enjoy and use her well

Are they the regular baby wipes from the chemist/supermarket, MissStephie? Do you need fragrance free/pure or will bog standard do? I know a lot of ladies use them, but don't want to get the wrong ones! ;)

Stains and colour transfer are my worst nightmare with my bags - I hope Betsy gets her clutch sorted ...

Congratulations Gem :smile: :heart:

Thanks so much and I appreciate your reply. That is very interesting, and sorry to hear about your bag too. I have been looking at furniture clinic before and after and whilst they do an excellent job, they do look very matte after the professional work, so not sure.

Can I ask what you have done with your bayswater clutch? I am hoping as the bag is red will darken overtime and then wear in well.. Looks like the clutch will be coming to asda with me then ha ha

Thankyou Betsy 😍 I didn't even realise it was you who I replied to lol.

I just left it. I didn't dare put anything on it afterwards incase it stained it further. It was really dark at first but then lightened. I assumed with it being water it would eventually dissappear but it hasn't. I was hoping the same as you that it would just melt away with more use of the bag.
I keep reading about the use of baby wipes but it just scares me putting something like that to this leather if it's so easy to stain.

Ive just taken mine out now to photograph it for you and my camera won't pic it up. It definitely looks better than when the mark first appeared xxx

I also have this clutch and got the same mark from ice - so strange. Mine happened not long after I got it (despite LOTS of colonil) and I must say you can hardly tell now, I think as you say the bag has darkened slightly now.

Are they the regular baby wipes from the chemist/supermarket, MissStephie? Do you need fragrance free/pure or will bog standard do? I know a lot of ladies use them, but don't want to get the wrong ones! ;)

Stains and colour transfer are my worst nightmare with my bags - I hope Betsy gets her clutch sorted ...

I get them here from the regular supermarket - I use the super sensitive ones and they work wonders. :smile: Maybe just watch out that they don't include oil, fragrance or extras because I don't know how that will come out. I always clean my leather stuff with them and then use the collonil gel - the spray tends to make the leather more stiff in my opinion.

EDIT: I just had a look at the ingredients :smile: they DON'T contain colorants and preservatives, silicons, fragrances, peg, isopropanol & ethanol and animalbased stuff. the main ingredients are aqua, oenothera biennis oil, capric triglyceride, glycerin. Let me know if you have more questions :smile:

I get them here from the regular supermarket - I use the super sensitive ones and they work wonders. :smile: Maybe just watch out that they don't include oil, fragrance or extras because I don't know how that will come out. I always clean my leather stuff with them and then use the collonil gel - the spray tends to make the leather more stiff in my opinion.

EDIT: I just had a look at the ingredients :smile: they DON'T contain colorants and preservatives, silicons, fragrances, peg, isopropanol & ethanol and animalbased stuff. the main ingredients are aqua, oenothera biennis oil, capric triglyceride, glycerin. Let me know if you have more questions :smile:

That's really useful; thank you! It sounds as though it would be useful to keep a small pack of them handy in case of emergencies! I know what you mean about the spray; I always give my new items a good dousing but, even though I make sure they aren't dripping or anything, they always feel a bit tacky afterwards ... :sad: I use the gel on the silky snake scales on two of my Lexies and it certainly softens them and smoothes down any rough bits that are threatening to "lift".