Advice please - buyer with 0 feedback

Feb 20, 2008
I've got an item listed on eBay with a BIN of $1200 or best offer. It ends tomorrow and I've currently got 2 offers on it. One bidder offered $975 and has great feedback. The other bidder has offered $1100 but has 0 feedback even though it says she's been an eBay member since 6/05. The second bidder has also asked if she can pay with a bank check. Can I request a USPS money order - is that safer?

I recently had a bad experience with PayPal - a crazy buyer filed a SNAD 3 weeks after she had already left me positive feedback. PP ruled in her favor and yanked the money out of my account. So, you can understand why I'm not too pleased with PP and would rather not do a transaction through them at this point.

What do you ladies think?

I've had good experience with 0 fb buyers.. Not all of them are bad.. I would contact the 0 fb buyer first and let her know my policy before accepting.

Yeah I have to agree that I had some great tansactions with 0 fb ebayers! This one buyer had zero fb and registered that day and only bid on my bag! I was soo nervous about sending the bag out but she turned out to be really sweet and left me amazing fb! In fact, my problem transactions tend to be with the more experienced ebayers..

I would contact your buyer and have her agree to your terms.. everybody has to start

someplace. Hopefully it will work out and just let her know that you will ship out her

item after "her payment has cleared" so she should be patient and wait until you have

funds.. good luck

i had sold to 0 feedback member and didn't have problem, especially she has been registered member for some time. BUT before the sales, contact the buyer and tell her your policies and make sure she fully understand and awared of it. just IMO

i had sold to 0 feedback member and didn't have problem, especially she has been registered member for some time. BUT before the sales, contact the buyer and tell her your policies and make sure she fully understand and awared of it. just IMO
Just be sure it is not a hijacked account. But you said she is not paying with PP anyway right? Only accept USPS (from US Post Office) money order. Jeez iif you are nervous it might be best to tell the other buyer (the one with good FB) that you have an offer and could she come closer to matching it?? I mean it's only $125 more from the 2nd buyer....

Thanks everyone! I emailed her and explained my terms for payment and that I would not ship until the funds have cleared. I'll wait and see what she has to say. It's not so much that she has zero feedback - I mean everyone has to start somewhere. I just find it odd that she has been an eBay member since June of 2005 and appears to have had no transactions.

Thanks everyone! I emailed her and explained my terms for payment and that I would not ship until the funds have cleared. I'll wait and see what she has to say. It's not so much that she has zero feedback - I mean everyone has to start somewhere. I just find it odd that she has been an eBay member since June of 2005 and appears to have had no transactions.
That why I thought about the hijacked account...the scammers somehow find accounts that have been dormant and use them to buy stuff. If they ask you to ship to another address, don't do it.

I am a new Ebay seller and buyer and have only 2 feedback's. Obviously they have been only from buying, but my point is I bid and I paid and you have to start somewhere. It was only until recently I got over my non wanting to use Ebay.

That why I thought about the hijacked account...the scammers somehow find accounts that have been dormant and use them to buy stuff. If they ask you to ship to another address, don't do it.

I agree, also remember to get signature confirmation and full insurance the package. If she's paying with an e-check then you will save yourself a lot on fee because the most paypal will take is $5 for payments via e-checks.

is it zero feedback altogether or just in the past year?

Unluckystars has a good point. You need to check the total history. If they have not bought continuously over time, the rating eventually zeroes out.

Use this link. put in the user id and select negative, neutral and positive. It's really handy. http://www.goofbay.com/ebay_feedback_checker_tool.html

0 doesn't always mean 0 or scammer. It could be someone who buys rarely and just wants the thing you have. I have sold other high end items to 0 buyers mostly with excellent outcomes. But do look them up on goofbay.

Thanks for all the great advice! shinymagpie - great link! I decided to go with the 0 feedback buyer - everyone has to start somewhere. The contact I've had with her has been very pleasant. She emailed me prior to bidding and asked polite and relevant questions about my item. She also said that she did have a PP account but didn't think she had the correct bank account verified and was hoping to get it straightened out before the auction ended. She emailed me again once I accepted her offer and said she was trying to get her PP account verified and that she would pay me tonight. I just received a notice from PP that she has sent the payment but they are reviewing it and they will let me know when/if the payment is accepted. Has anyone had that happen?

Thanks for all the great advice! shinymagpie - great link! I decided to go with the 0 feedback buyer - everyone has to start somewhere. The contact I've had with her has been very pleasant. She emailed me prior to bidding and asked polite and relevant questions about my item. She also said that she did have a PP account but didn't think she had the correct bank account verified and was hoping to get it straightened out before the auction ended. She emailed me again once I accepted her offer and said she was trying to get her PP account verified and that she would pay me tonight. I just received a notice from PP that she has sent the payment but they are reviewing it and they will let me know when/if the payment is accepted. Has anyone had that happen?

That is typical if that is her first payment via paypal, I went through the same thing with a 0 feedback Japanese buyer a few months back. paypal should let you know within 24 hours if it is okay to ship. Good luck!