Advice please: Anya Hindmarch clutch received, minor quality issues...

Bitten

Chic, not cheap.
O.G.
Feb 6, 2007
Hi everyone :smile: I would really appreciate some advice/others' thoughts.

I recently bought a clutch from the Anya Hindmarch website. I have been stalking it for months. It is the Gracie satin clutch in dark plum and I've bought it to go with my outfit for my brother's wedding in May. I'd link to it but it's been taken off the website as last season.

Initially it sold out quite early on in the season. I added my name to the waitlist and then clearly a second production run came through and it was restocked online. However, by that time, I had been distracted by other purchases and it wasn't high on my priority list at full price. However, it was marked down 50% on sale and I thought, heck, it IS perfect with my outfit and I haven't seen anything else that comes close AND it's a very translatable jewel colour that will be wearable as an evening bag for many other occasions.

So I bought it and it came today and...well...there are some things that are just not right. Specifically:

1. the signature little gold metal bow that goes on the rear of AH's bags is missing, and it was clearly visible there on the website photos
2. the interior border leather was lilac in the photos on the website and it's much much darker purple in real life
3. the interior stitching is just not finished super well and there are some threads hanging off that really should have been snipped
4. the interior suede on this bag looks much coarser than the really well finished suede in the photos on the website. The photos look like BV-quality interior suede, whereas the actual suede looks almost like the reverse of a sheepskin car seat cover (not exactly that coarse, but seriously almost :wtf: )

I'd post comparison photos but as I said, unfortunately the website listing has been removed as last season since the sale has now ended.

I've emailed them to point out these issues and given them the quality control department reference (since all AH items ARE checked before release). I've said if there is a bag that does not have these flaws i.e. preferably was part of the first production run, I'd like to exchange. The thing is, since they sold out originally and then came back in stock, clearly this is the second production run so it's likely that all the stock has these flaws.

On the one hand I'm a bit bummed because AH is a quality UK brand that prides itself on workmanship and honestly when I opened the bag and saw the interior I just thought 'CHEAP'. On the other hand, I paid half price for this bag (still $300.00) and it goes PERFECTLY with my outfit for the wedding.

Any thoughts ladies? I'm completely undecided (the bag only turned up this morning) but I just get miffed when a supposedly-quality brand puts out stuff that quite obviously has been knocked together in a hurry from inferior materials. I have other AH bags, some of which have been finished in logo vinyl while is fine, but I have a Carker which was finished in really gorgeous soft fine quality suede. So I know the quality they usually put out and this ain't it :shrugs:

I don't know which clutch you are referring to but I can totally relate. I own one of the maeve clutches and I notice there are subtle differences with mine compared to the photos shown on several websites, one of the differences is the strap. I am guessing they have different designs depending on the batch. But I don't mind the difference and still love mine. I'd say keep if you love it. But if you're bothered by the quality, then maybe it should go. Even after 50% off, it's still a lot of money to spend on something you don't love.

I would wait to hear back from them. I have been a longtime fan of AH bags but the past few years the quality declined-manufacturing overseas, cheaper materials. I have noticed that some new season items are manufactured in Italy, so I hope the quality returns to what it used to be.

Hopefully it can be replaced to your satisfaction-it is a really nice looking bag, and the style should last a long time!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:S63fUNRx3SEJ:www.anyahindmarch.com/prod/Clutch/Handbags/Gracie_Clutch/44031/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Here's the google cache for that bag. I'd be annoyed that it didn't match the photos esp if the interior feels cheap.

Omg thank you SO much for posting this! :hugs:

Now that I look again, it is like a completely different bag!!! :cursing:

1. The bag in the photos, the front flap interior is suede with the lilac leather border - the bag I've been sent the front flap interior is full satin.

AH Clutch front interior.JPG

2. The bag in the photos, there appears to be a single interior pocket (at the back of the interior, if that makes sense) and it looks like a simple open pocket with a a lilac leather top trim and a separate square AH label plaque - the bag I have the interior pocket has a zip and the entire facing to the interior pocket is joined together to the zip, the leather trim and the AH label plaque are all one piece. In addition to this, there is an interior pocket on the front of the bag that's labelled 'cards' and I don't think that was in the original bag.

AH Clutch interior pockets 1.JPG

3. Gold bow logo is definitely missing off the back in my bag

AH Clutch back exterior.JPG

4. The front turnlock hardware is also different - it's a gold surround on the website photos, whereas mine is purple enamel all around.

AH Clutch front exterior.JPG

Omg I'm actually really annoyed now and I normally am the last person to make a fuss about this sort of thing! :nono:

Last edited:
I don't know which clutch you are referring to but I can totally relate. I own one of the maeve clutches and I notice there are subtle differences with mine compared to the photos shown on several websites, one of the differences is the strap. I am guessing they have different designs depending on the batch. But I don't mind the difference and still love mine. I'd say keep if you love it. But if you're bothered by the quality, then maybe it should go. Even after 50% off, it's still a lot of money to spend on something you don't love.

Thanks, it's good to hear you saying lovely things about your bag :flowers:

I think it's the fact that some things, which are to my mind quintessentially AH have been missed on this one? The interior zippered compartment and card slot section feels chunky and 'cheap' and the little gold bow missing is like ordering a pair of CLs on sale and having them turn up without a red sole?!

I would wait to hear back from them. I have been a longtime fan of AH bags but the past few years the quality declined-manufacturing overseas, cheaper materials. I have noticed that some new season items are manufactured in Italy, so I hope the quality returns to what it used to be.

Hopefully it can be replaced to your satisfaction-it is a really nice looking bag, and the style should last a long time!

Thank you for responding :smile: I agree I will wait to hear but since looking at the webcache pics honestly I'm kind of more annoyed, whereas before I was just hmmmm...now I notice quite a lot of things are different... :wtf:

All the things you say about the classic style, it's nice looking - that's true and hopefully I can still look at it and see that but I'd really love it if they could send me a bag like the one in the website pics! :biggrin:

Hi everyone :smile: I would really appreciate some advice/others' thoughts.

I recently bought a clutch from the Anya Hindmarch website. I have been stalking it for months. It is the Gracie satin clutch in dark plum and I've bought it to go with my outfit for my brother's wedding in May. I'd link to it but it's been taken off the website as last season.

Initially it sold out quite early on in the season. I added my name to the waitlist and then clearly a second production run came through and it was restocked online. However, by that time, I had been distracted by other purchases and it wasn't high on my priority list at full price. However, it was marked down 50% on sale and I thought, heck, it IS perfect with my outfit and I haven't seen anything else that comes close AND it's a very translatable jewel colour that will be wearable as an evening bag for many other occasions.

So I bought it and it came today and...well...there are some things that are just not right. Specifically:

1. the signature little gold metal bow that goes on the rear of AH's bags is missing, and it was clearly visible there on the website photos
2. the interior border leather was lilac in the photos on the website and it's much much darker purple in real life
3. the interior stitching is just not finished super well and there are some threads hanging off that really should have been snipped
4. the interior suede on this bag looks much coarser than the really well finished suede in the photos on the website. The photos look like BV-quality interior suede, whereas the actual suede looks almost like the reverse of a sheepskin car seat cover (not exactly that coarse, but seriously almost :wtf: )

I'd post comparison photos but as I said, unfortunately the website listing has been removed as last season since the sale has now ended.

I've emailed them to point out these issues and given them the quality control department reference (since all AH items ARE checked before release). I've said if there is a bag that does not have these flaws i.e. preferably was part of the first production run, I'd like to exchange. The thing is, since they sold out originally and then came back in stock, clearly this is the second production run so it's likely that all the stock has these flaws.

On the one hand I'm a bit bummed because AH is a quality UK brand that prides itself on workmanship and honestly when I opened the bag and saw the interior I just thought 'CHEAP'. On the other hand, I paid half price for this bag (still $300.00) and it goes PERFECTLY with my outfit for the wedding.

Any thoughts ladies? I'm completely undecided (the bag only turned up this morning) but I just get miffed when a supposedly-quality brand puts out stuff that quite obviously has been knocked together in a hurry from inferior materials. I have other AH bags, some of which have been finished in logo vinyl while is fine, but I have a Carker which was finished in really gorgeous soft fine quality suede. So I know the quality they usually put out and this ain't it :shrugs:

You can definitely tell the differences between your bag and the link a fellow tpfer posted.

If it were me I wouldn't be happy either. I think you should contact them and tell them exactly how you feel.

Let us know what you decide.

You can definitely tell the differences between your bag and the link a fellow tpfer posted.

If it were me I wouldn't be happy either. I think you should contact them and tell them exactly how you feel.

Let us know what you decide.

Thank you for your support :hugs: I'm relieved it's not just me seeing these differences and thinking "Whaaaaa...??" :biggrin:

I have sent them a further email with photos and the google cache link to compare and said I am disappointed and would like to exchange the clutch for one that is the same as the website pics. Normally I'm the last person to make a fuss or complain to customer service because, I get it, sometimes things happen and none of us are perfect but in this instance I feel I sort of have to say something :sad:

Thank you for your support :hugs: I'm relieved it's not just me seeing these differences and thinking "Whaaaaa...??" :biggrin:

I have sent them a further email with photos and the google cache link to compare and said I am disappointed and would like to exchange the clutch for one that is the same as the website pics. Normally I'm the last person to make a fuss or complain to customer service because, I get it, sometimes things happen and none of us are perfect but in this instance I feel I sort of have to say something :sad:

You are doing the right thing. I hope they can send you a clutch like the website pictures.

You are doing the right thing. I hope they can send you a clutch like the website pictures.

I'm kind of madly clicking refresh on my email inbox but I know it might take a couple of days :biggrin: I'll def post an update - thank you for concurring, I hate causing a fuss but in this case it's like I have to, because the original pics and the bag they sent are completely different!! :shame:

Ok so update (sorry it's long):

I spoke to a customer relations manager at AH and they were very pleasant to deal with. We had a little difficulty hooking up at first because of the time difference but I called her late last night and discussed it.

Essentially, the bag in the website pictures is the sample. They never ended up producing that exact bag. She said typically sample design is exactly what ends up being produced as design is finalised at that point however in this case, they made some design changes in response to feedback from customers in respect of other evening bag designs - they have changed to a different suede interior to keep the bags light and reduce the weight, that's also why they made the front flap full satin in the interior and they added the zip interior pocket for added security.

In respect of the logo gold bow, the lady in customer relations said that there has been a formal design decision by AH to take the gold bow out in coming seasons. I'm not sure if that's really true (and honestly I think it's a shame if they do because it's so subtle but people in the know love it).

The lady did apologise for the fact that I was disappointed, expecting to receive the bag in the photos and then having the actual bag arrive with those changes. She said they would be happy to have me return the bag for a full refund.

I thanked her for her time and for explaining to me why this bag has ended up being so different. I said I would think about it and would respond in a day or two with my decision.

So I am pleased to know that they didn't produce two lots of bags, one with all the features on the website and the other as sort of a late-run knocked together lot. If something like that was happening, I would have a real problem purchasing from AH. I'm not sure why they would change the design and then not change the website photos. She said that they do the website pics well in advance of production and I was like, ok but in my country, that would be considered incorrect advertising and AH could be in loads of drama. I didn't feel confident enough of getting into a discussion with her re. advertising laws in the UK however, I have no familiarity with that area.

I need to decide whether to keep the bag or not. The points in favour of keeping are:
1. The bag perfectly matches my outfit for my brother's wedding
2. It IS a pretty bag in it's own right (just not exactly what I was expecting which is why I'm disappointed)
3. I did get it for half price.

The points in favour of returning are:
1. It is substantially different from the website pics in terms of design details. They made quite a few changes from the sample - it's not like one little thing.
2. Half price notwithstanding, it was still a expensive bag.

What do you guys think? I can feel myself coming down in favour of keeping it, partly to avoid the annoyance and hassle of returning it and partly because it is perfect with my dress (and a good transitional colour for cocktail wear generally - it's hardly as though the wedding will be the only time I use it). I am annoyed by the differences (and by the lame "oh we get the web pics done in advance" excuse - seriously, if you change the design you really need to take new pics of the bag you'll actually be selling and post them and avoid annoying your customers and potentially ending up in loads of poop from a CS/reputation perspective - is that not what companies are trying to achieve?)

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't be content with the product received after seeing what you thought you were getting. I'm finicky though - to the point where it's problematic at times. But - you should be happy with your purchase, and you don't seem to be. Would you use this bag beyond the wedding? If not, you know the answer.

I wouldn't be content with the product received after seeing what you thought you were getting. I'm finicky though - to the point where it's problematic at times. But - you should be happy with your purchase, and you don't seem to be. Would you use this bag beyond the wedding? If not, you know the answer.

Thank you for your input - you're right, I need to decide whether I am going to love the bag or whether I'm going to be annoyed every time I look at it :Push: