Advice on travelling with a fur coat please...

Docjeun

Sep 15, 2012
I will be travelling quite a long distance and don't want or need to wear or sit on my fur (god forbid) on the plane, I also don't want to store it in the upper compartment, does anyone have any suggestions but if that is my only option how would you store it to keep it as safe as possible from any damage?

I will be travelling quite a long distance and don't want or need to wear or sit on my fur (god forbid) on the plane, I also don't want to store it in the upper compartment, does anyone have any suggestions but if that is my only option how would you store it to keep it as safe as possible from any damage?
Do you need your fur on this trip? If you don't want to carry it or put it in the compartment, you probably shouldn't bring it. Or, fly business or first class, they collect and hang your outerwear.

Reactions: Alesa
My furs go into a large clear garbage bag (new & unused of course) if I'm not totally comfortable about where they will be stored at functions. You could do the same when flying. Just give your coat a good shake out and it will be fine.

Try and avoid plastic bags, they make fur sweat though. Also depends on what fur it is - if it is mink, fox then it is very durable. Some furs, eh chinchilla are not so and require more care.

My tips:

1. Never check in fur, always carry in your hand-carry luggage. You don't want to risk losing the fur if your luggage goes missing.
2. As Flip88 said never pack in plastic. Use a proper garment bag.
3. Wear your fur if you cannot fit in your hand-carry luggage. But if you must store in the overhead compartment, pack in a garment bag and flip it so the lining is outside so the fur has added protection (hope that makes sense).

Reactions: batbeauty15
My tips:

1. Never check in fur, always carry in your hand-carry luggage. You don't want to risk losing the fur if your luggage goes missing.
2. As Flip88 said never pack in plastic. Use a proper garment bag.
3. Wear your fur if you cannot fit in your hand-carry luggage. But if you must store in the overhead compartment, pack in a garment bag and flip it so the lining is outside so the fur has added protection (hope that makes sense).

1-4 :yes:

If I take mine, I wear it and then use it as a blanket so I'm not sitting on it

Reactions: Nerja
1-4 :yes:

If I take mine, I wear it and then use it as a blanket so I'm not sitting on it

LOL I've done that too, but with the lining facing out in case I (or heavens forbid somebody else) spills some liquid while I'm sleeping.

One other tip I forgot to mention. You need to plan in advance for the security check.

Since you mentioned a long journey I assume it involves international travel.

Right before you get to your gate, there is usually one more security check when they ask you to remove your laptop, coats, and sometimes your shoes, etc...

Before you head to the final gate, take out your fur (if you are wearing it) and already place it in the garment bag. Otherwise security will ask you to take off your coat and put in in the security "basket". Those baskets have probaby been used to place dozens or hundreds of shoes :cry:. You do not want your fur in that basket. So make sure it's covered and protected BEFORE you even head to the final gate.

I travel in my fur coats all the time. I just ask the flight attendant to store it at the out wear closet.
If they don't have one or if it's overpacked, I flip it out so the lining is outside and fur is inside and put it nicely to the overhead compartment. I do that to my wool and cashmere coats on planes too and never had any problems.

I don't even think about it actually, it's an automatic move I do anywhere, a restaurant, a cafe, shopping, I just flip it with silk lining outside and fur inside. I also flip it when going through the security check, and just put it inside the basket. I don't use garments bags for this, it's just 30 seconds of time in that basket so I don't want to go through extra struggle.
It's especually important to flip out delicate fur like chinchilla because during flights can get easily damaged in the storage closet.

Putting it nicely in a proper garment bag and since there was no place to hang it I put it in the upper storage bin folded nicely. Luckily I did this because this idiot put his water bottle up there and it leaked! I also had a paper bag I put up there full of paperwork and books and of course some of them were ruined. The guy was standing behind me on the way out and I just couldn't help myself, took the empty bottle out, showed it to him and gave him a disgusted look, he just had this blank look on his face, didn't say a word and just walked past me. After such a long trip and seeing that I was fuming....:mad:

I would like to take my full lenght faux fur coat onboard as a carry on... do I to turn my fur inside to protect it during the basket scans or no?? or is it worth it to get the TSA pre pass before hand??