Advice on taurillon Clemence leather

boyinterrupted

Hoochie Mama
Feb 24, 2019
Hi! I'm an Hermes newbie and I've always thought that the brand and the style wasn't for me but now, I've decided to buy my first Hermes, which will be the Evelyne III 29. I know this is probably deep inside other threads but I know there's a constant change with the leathers and all that or whatnot.

What do I need to know about taurillon Clemence leather? I'm thinking of getting the gold color with silver hardware and I wanted to be able to talk to someone who is experienced buying Hermes products because I've been a Chanel addict than anything else. Does hermes hardware scratch easily? How does the leather age? Let me know everything that I need to know and thank you in advance.

PS, I am careful with my bags like I love to clean them and actually take care of them. When i don't use them I like to take all my things out and give it a little breather, typically stuff it to retain its shape. If it gets scratched or whatever, oh well, life goes on and it will not be a big deal. Do know that I will be definitely using the heck out of this bag so please do tell me everything, I want to hear you guys' thoughts.

I personally prefer clemence over epsom for the Evelyne, bec it molds to the body, but don't like the way the base sags. Generally clemence wears really really well, but softens.- getting a good bag insert (if you are into that) would help. I don't think I ever thought the hardware scratched badly on the Evelyne, but my experiences are not long-term, so probably someone else can help better. If you go to the clubhouse forum, there is a whole thread dedicated to the Evelyne

No issue with hardware scratching. Clemence softens but I think it is a plus for the evelyne. You don’t want a big cardboard crossbody bag anyway. I have a 33 and it gently molds to your body. If you want it to stay more structure (which evelyne really isn’t a structure bag), you can buy a felt insert. Clemence is one of the hardiest leather (and my favorite). I actually am not anti epsom like most people but I don’t prefer it for evelyne. I much prefer epsom for BKC.

Reactions: acrowcounted
Hi! I'm an Hermes newbie and I've always thought that the brand and the style wasn't for me but now, I've decided to buy my first Hermes, which will be the Evelyne III 29. I know this is probably deep inside other threads but I know there's a constant change with the leathers and all that or whatnot.

What do I need to know about taurillon Clemence leather? I'm thinking of getting the gold color with silver hardware and I wanted to be able to talk to someone who is experienced buying Hermes products because I've been a Chanel addict than anything else. Does hermes hardware scratch easily? How does the leather age? Let me know everything that I need to know and thank you in advance.

PS, I am careful with my bags like I love to clean them and actually take care of them. When i don't use them I like to take all my things out and give it a little breather, typically stuff it to retain its shape. If it gets scratched or whatever, oh well, life goes on and it will not be a big deal. Do know that I will be definitely using the heck out of this bag so please do tell me everything, I want to hear you guys' thoughts.
Unless you prefer a stiffer leather, you can't go wrong with clemence. I agree with above posters that it will definitely sag if you aren't careful. So stuff it with paper/airbags/pillow when not in use, use an insert, and don't weigh it down too much.

No issues with Evelyne as you described. I agree with others Clemence is the best leather for Evelyne. It’s meant to be a casual bag and Clemence molds to your body naturally. Epsom leather’s better on other bags like Birkin or Krlly Sellier.

HOWEVER- If you’re on the shorter side like 5’2”, 5’3” etc., please be aware that the strap that comes with Evelyne III is too long even when worn crossbody on the shortest setting. You’d have to cut the strap or buy a new one. Or wear it long...

Clemence is practically indestructible and is beautiful in Gold (I had a Gold Clemence Birkin). In the Evelyne as others have said it is softer and mods to your body, IMO an ideal leather.
There isn't much hardware on the Evelyne so I certainly wouldn't worry too much about scratches.

If you are more petite, or want to be able to wear as a shoulder bag, you can have the strap adjusted by Hermès. I took eight inches off my Evie strap, which for me at 5'2" makes it good for both crossbody and shoulder. You can have it measured in-store when you buy. The strap will look exactly as if it was bought that way.