Advice on outfit for job interview

doloresmia

O.G.
May 20, 2008
Ladies, could I have your advice? I have to fly to Miami tomorrow for a job interview (one day turnaround from LA); 40% chance of thunderstorms (or hurricane????); 90 degrees and 100% humidity.... What looks better? By the way I have discovered if i can adjust the photo to make myself look taller and leaner - LOVE jpg!

Max Mara gold dress and black jacket with HAC. the Max Mara Sales Assoc convinced me this look works, but looking at it now i don't think so. Among other things don't feel i have the right shoes. These are BCBG mary janes

picture.php

Max Mara Dress without the jacket, Gucci shoes. The dress is lovely IRL

picture.php

On the other hand, the jacket and dress (which are made of that stretchy material that does not wrinkly and hugs you PERFECTLY) look good, but can i wear all black and then the gold HAC?

should i not wear the HAC? How would interviewers respond to my lovely HAC?

picture.php

This picture i squished a little in editing, and look much taller!

I don't see your pics but unless you have no other option but to use your HAC then I wouldn't use any Hermes bag or use something under the radar like a Bolide, Lindy, Plume

should i not wear the HAC? How would interviewers respond to my lovely HAC?

That's the thing. With a simpler bag, it's not likely to get controversial with interviewers. But with a bag like the HAC / Birkin, which is practically appearing in the news every other day these days, it's better to be more cautious. No need to invite gossips. And jeoparidise your own chances.

Nap the job first.

Can't see the photos. D: However, I think whether or not the HAC is a good idea depends on the sort of job you're applying for and the environment you're going into. What leather is the HAC?

That's the thing. With a simpler bag, it's not likely to get controversial with interviewers. But with a bag like the HAC / Birkin, which is practically appearing in the news every other day these days, it's better to be more cautious. No need to invite gossips. And jeoparidise your own chances.

Nap the job first.

ITA :yes:

I can't see the photos either...

Further, the 'right' outfit also would depend on what kind of job we are talking about here...? what kind of position? male/female dominated company? have you met with them before or this is going to be the very first face-to-face?... :confused1:

Under the radar outfit (NO H, NO Loubies, NO major bling - unless this is an interview at Vogue or W!), all the better for letting your personality and credentials shine. Good luck!

Can't see the pix either, but I tend to agree with MrsS... It is a highly recognizable bag and one never knows how it is perceived on an interviewee... I'm (or was, and hopefully will be again) in the buy side (vs the sell side in the financial industry) and people are used to dealing with private wealth or institutional clients with hundreds of millions of investment, and yet people in my firm tend to be very low-key. Although I see armani suits ALL the times, I've actually rarely seen a pmd or md using birkins (maybe kellys or bolide, both are dark colors and non-exotics). IMHO it is very much depended on the corporate culture. Having said that, it never hurts to be conservative in job interview, esp. for the first time. ;)

Hope this helps! And oh, BEST OF LUCK!!!

I can't see any pics?

I think re the bag it really depends on the job you are going for.

I would bring a jacket becuase it gets cold on the plane and/or a lightweight rain coat if it's going to rain, bring something and I do feel that even in Miami, if the company is a/c a jacket won't go amiss.

You don't want to feel wet and sit in cold a/c on the plane or in the office.

BTW, good luck with the job interview and safe travels.

Ladies, could I have your advice? I have to fly to Miami tomorrow for a job interview (one day turnaround from LA); 40% chance of thunderstorms (or hurricane????); 90 degrees and 100% humidity.... What looks better? By the way I have discovered if i can adjust the photo to make myself look taller and leaner - LOVE jpg!

Max Mara gold dress and black jacket with HAC. the Max Mara Sales Assoc convinced me this look works, but looking at it now i don't think so. Among other things don't feel i have the right shoes. These are BCBG mary janes

picture.php

Max Mara Dress without the jacket, Gucci shoes. The dress is lovely IRL

picture.php

MrsSparkles is ABSOLUTELY right - Do NOT take the HAC to a job interview!!

I can't see the photo to offer thoughts on outfit.

Can't see the pix either, but I tend to agree with MrsS... It is a highly recognizable bag and one never knows how it is perceived on an interviewee... I'm (or was, and hopefully will be again) in the buy side (vs the sell side in the financial industry) and people are used to dealing with private wealth or institutional clients with hundreds of millions of investment, and yet people in my firm tend to be very low-key. Although I see armani suits ALL the times, I've actually rarely seen a pmd or md using birkins (maybe kellys or bolide, both are dark colors and non-exotics). IMHO it is very much depended on the corporate culture. Having said that, it never hurts to be conservative in job interview, esp. for the first time. ;)

Hope this helps! And oh, BEST OF LUCK!!!

It's funny that you mention this. My hubby does that, he does personal wealth management thingy and we sometimes socialize with clients. One client judges what's on both our backs and the more labels the better. My birkin saved the day because I wasn't dressed well enough once as she felt my "manolos were old". I know, I don't get it. But to her, what we wear is a sign of success. She judges by labes as to how successful a person is.

Not only labels, but if we travel, she will ask what restos, if it doesn't have at least one Michlin star its not on her radar and she puts her nose down and wants to know why didn't eat better?

Honestly I don't get it. Gourmet food is great but doesn't sit well and we prefer nice simple food but for her I have to think Michlin star.

It's funny that you mention this. My hubby does that, he does personal wealth management thingy and we sometimes socialize with clients. One client judges what's on both our backs and the more labels the better. My birkin saved the day because I wasn't dressed well enough once as she felt my "manolos were old". I know, I don't get it. But to her, what we wear is a sign of success. She judges by labes as to how successful a person is.

Not only labels, but if we travel, she will ask what restos, if it doesn't have at least one Michlin star its not on her radar and she puts her nose down and wants to know why didn't eat better?

Honestly I don't get it. Gourmet food is great but doesn't sit well and we prefer nice simple food but for her I have to think Michlin star.

Funny that you mentioned the label thing... I remember we had corporate pension clients who invested with us, and one of my colleagues who were doing the presentation wore a Chanel jacket (with cc buttons), and the feedback from the client was "we're paying you guys too much"!!!

But I found pwm clients (private wealth mgmt) are much more relaxed about it, esp if it is a lady client. LOL. My family friend had her money with my firm in Hong Kong as well, and her rep. used to go shopping with her all the times and it was no problem... And you are so right: wearing labels in front of certain clients is being perceived as a sign of success!!! :tup:

Ladies, can you see the photos now? I just switched the album designation to public. does this work?

MrsSparkles, Mooks, LeMonde, VanillaSkye, XiaoXiao - Ok, very strong consensus, my darling HAC stays at home.

LeMonde - i am interviewing with a man and a woman. it seems pretty even in terms of male female. one issue potentially working against me is that i look much younger than i actually am. i thought the HAC would give me some first impression gravitas.

Anez - the job is for a General Manager position for a consulting company, so i have to look professional and polished and people should trust me.

MissMargaux - i have female friends who are in private equity, and they also are very into the labels. but my friends are great, funny workaholics too. i live by the beach and am more chill and have been "retired" for almost a year so i am having palpitations about how to dress for work again.

Attachments

• Max Mara Dress and HAC.jpg
    Max Mara Dress and HAC.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Max Mara Suit and HAC.jpg
    Max Mara Suit and HAC.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 270
  • Max Mara Dress, jacket and HAC.jpg
    Max Mara Dress, jacket and HAC.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 109