Advice on moving to Florida...

Hi - I live 20 miles north of Delray and wouldn't live anywhere else!! I love it here. Honestly, I think anything south of Palm Beach Gardens is too busy for me. I like the area I'm in for less traffic and a calmer town. Although, I do know people who live in Delray and love it. Do you and your boyfriend have a job or family down here?

Not familiar with Delray beach, but I currently live in Orlando and want to move further south once my daughter grows up like near Boca, Ft. Lauderdale, etc. I love it here! I lived in Maryland most of my life and always loved Florida and the weather as my body just cannot handle the cold. Moved here 8 1/2 years ago for the great weather, to be near family and with a TON of stuff to do, I would never want to move back north.

LOL Yeah, I forgot about Homeowners insurance. Ughh...its even worse closer to the water so keep that in mind in your housing budget OP.

But...on the other hand, we have no state income tax either, so it kind of does even out in the end.

^ And the rates have such crazy variations company to company! I am with a private carrier which was so hard to find at a reasonable price, but I had quotes as high as 5500 per year for my house, which is in the Tampa area (and we have not had direct hurricanes for how long?!). It is really hard to find a carrier willing to write at times- I remember calling probably 25 agents for quotes before I found a private carrier at an okay rate- everything else was Citizens or private carriers w/ astronomical rates for the property location. I was also a first time home buyer, so that could have factored in too b/c they didn't know what type of loss reporting history to expect from me.

I'm from Jacksonville, which is north Florida...pretty much the north eastern corner, and I went to Miami last July. Holy hell I thought I was going to die. I started sweating just thinking about walking outside. When we'd have dinner...at 9pm, I was still sweating. I had no idea the temps/humidity would be such a change from North Fla. My point...South Fla is hardcore! I honestly don't see how people live there between May and August.

LOL Charles....I'm getting to move there in mid-May....I'm ready for the heat! I've lived in 100+ degree desert heat and awful midwest humidity :smile: That's what A/C is for....although walking the dog will kind of suck!

The heat doesn't really bother me, I am always cold in CT!

My boyfriend has cousins who live in Delray Beach, and we'd really love to live closer to them.

We are getting so excited! He is a teacher and I am finishing school to be a teacher, so we wouldn't move until this summer.

I'm from Jacksonville, which is north Florida...pretty much the north eastern corner, and I went to Miami last July. Holy hell I thought I was going to die. I started sweating just thinking about walking outside. When we'd have dinner...at 9pm, I was still sweating. I had no idea the temps/humidity would be such a change from North Fla. My point...South Fla is hardcore! I honestly don't see how people live there between May and August.

I LOVE the heat. My body really physically cannot handle the cold and I never understood the people that live in the US north how they can handle it....heck, I cant remember how I handled it when I lived in MD. I swear my body shuts down when it gets below 50-60 degrees! lol
Here in Orlando, we've had some days and nights over the last month that have been near freezing and I have just been DYING! I cant wait to move further south and enjoy warm weather constantly. I also love the more tropical feel the further you get south. :yes:

I lived in Orlando for a bit too, and while it's slightly hotter than Jax....I'm telling you Miami was no joke. The humidity was stifling. You walked outside and it felt like you couldn't breathe, there was so much pressure from the humidity in the air.

Maybe it was just that week..if not, there's no way I'd ever move down there.

I can guarantee that it will take about one year to acclimate yourself to the heat and humidity in the summer. You will carry a water bottle with you wherever you go. But if you can find a shady spot, the temperature feels 15 degrees cooler, especially with an overhead fan. Air conditioning is a must. We never turn on the furnace down here in Southwest Florida. As far as hurricanes, pfffffft. We've lived through about 7 or 8 of them since moving down here and you just have to be prepared. The good news about hurricanes is that you always know when one is coming and you can gear up for it, unlike a tornado. We came from northern Michigan and we will never go back. Oh....and from Venice down to Naples on the Gulf side, the weather is much more tropical than northern Florida.