Advice on how to answer PIA buyer tactfully

zippie

Dec 7, 2006
It's getting harder and harder to be polite when answering ridiculous questions from buyers. I clearly state that one of my items is in new/perfect condition and show detailed pictures and no best offer. I received an email from a buyer wanting to know if there are any defects, where I bought it, what the item number was, how much I oriignally paid, will I accept a layaway plan and what's my lowest, lowest price.

Well I can't blame them for asking if their are any defects, they're just trying to be careful and I've seen buyers taken to task in this forum for not doing so when they've ended up in a SNAD dispute.

I don't think I'd answer how much I originally paid, but maybe they're asking where you purchased it so that they can feel reassured it's not a fake, so I don't think that's a ridiculous question.

What's wrong with asking the item number, is it listed already in the description?

"Hello ---!

The item is free of defects. It was originally purchased from ____, and the lowest price that I can accept is the current BIN/starting bid. Thank you for your interest!"

... and then just curse her out in your head a little bit for asking about the "lowest, lowest" part :lol:

Well I can't blame them for asking if their are any defects, they're just trying to be careful and I've seen buyers taken to task in this forum for not doing so when they've ended up in a SNAD dispute.

I don't think I'd answer how much I originally paid, but maybe they're asking where you purchased it so that they can feel reassured it's not a fake, so I don't think that's a ridiculous question.

What's wrong with asking the item number, is it listed already in the description?
She is asking for the item number from where I bought it not the EBAY number. The auction clearly states NO DEFECTS and the pictures show everything close up.

She is asking for the item number from where I bought it not the EBAY number. The auction clearly states NO DEFECTS and the pictures show everything close up.

Maybe she wants the item number so that she can look up the style/model? Why would that be an unreasonable question?

I get it that you stated no defects, but many sellers state this and post tons of pics and the buyer ends up with an item that sure enough has a defect that was not portrayed in the pics. So buyers double check just to be sure, they're looking for reassurance. I really don't see why that would be so irritating.

people mislead all the time and often show pics that arent theirs so i always answer any questions and post them as well...as long as no personal info is attached. it helps buyers know they can trust you and you have nothing to hide. i have actually gotten more than the origianl asking and cost value for my last few auctions b/c of it. noone wants to have buyers remorse and theyve prob. been burned before

Just tell her that you threw the store tag away, not thinking that anyone would ask for that information. How long ago did you buy the bag? If it was from a previous year, that info most likely won't be to be pulled up for verification.

Maybe she wants the item number so that she can look up the style/model? Why would that be an unreasonable question?

I get it that you stated no defects, but many sellers state this and post tons of pics and the buyer ends up with an item that sure enough has a defect that was not portrayed in the pics. So buyers double check just to be sure, they're looking for reassurance. I really don't see why that would be so irritating.
If a seller is a scum and doesn't state defects they sure aren't going to say anything when asked either. This is a jewelry piece and clearly shows it's in perfect condition.

There have been more than a couple issues on this site, recently, of buyers getting bags that had flaws but the pictures didn't show them--one was a Balenciaga that had a big stain right on the front that didn't show until it was taken out in the bright sun and another seller even laid the shoulder straps/tassels over a bad spot--so I wouldn't be upset by those types of questions (I ask them too); the other questions I would just politely answer like suggested above.

What is no defect to you might be to someone else and since ebay seems to side with the buyer nowadays, these questions could save you grief down the road.

And layaway wouldn't work on an ebay purchase anyway, right?

"Hello ---!

The item is free of defects. It was originally purchased from ____, and the lowest price that I can accept is the current BIN/starting bid. Thank you for your interest!"

... and then just curse her out in your head a little bit for asking about the "lowest, lowest" part :lol:

Good idea, thanks:biggrin:

If a seller is a scum and doesn't state defects they sure aren't going to say anything when asked either. This is a jewelry piece and clearly shows it's in perfect condition.

Perhaps, or perhaps the seller would look it over closely again before answering. In fact, we've seen threads in this forum where a seller admits that they didn't notice a defect until the item sold. Again, it's just a question a buyer is asking for reassurance, I don't understand why you would feel such a level with irritation with it. :shrugs:

Perhaps, or perhaps the seller would look it over closely again before answering. In fact, we've seen threads in this forum where a seller admits that they didn't notice a defect until the item sold. Again, it's just a question a buyer is asking for reassurance, I don't understand why you would feel such a level with irritation with it. :shrugs:
Actually, its not the defect question that is bothering me. I understand that some buyers don't read and can't look at pictures but asking where I bought it and how much I paid, etc. is getting a little ridiculous.

And, it could be as simple as seeing how you communicate. Some buyers are concerned about that should there be an issue down the road. I agree with the above letter, address the questions you are comfortable with, ignore the others. If you become uneasy, block them.