Advice on first mulberry

Sofie@Bxl

O.G.
Apr 14, 2012
Hi,

Some of you may remember me from my dissappointing sale purchase. (Bought a Taylor online, was faulty, returned it, they couldn't replace it, so in conclusion no Mulberry for me)

Now because this purchase didn't go through, I'm still left with the desire to have my own Mulberry bag.

I've loved the SBS from the beginning and it was my number 2 bag after the Taylor.

Now I'm going to London in 2 weeks and I am seriously considering buying the black SBS. It is 100€ cheaper for me to buy it in London instead of online. And after what happened with the Taylor I want to inspect every inch of the bag before I buy it :P

I plan to use it as an every day bag and I don't cary around that much stuff with me, so I think size wise it would be ok.

Now I want your advice on this bag! What are it's pros and cons? And do you think I should get it?

Thx!

Sofie

I'm new to the SBS - but I currently have 2 of them......

Pro's
Two short handles - getting in and out of the bag is easy when using the short handles
Long Strap is a great length for carrying on the shoulder or X body
Looks smart of casual depending on what you wear
Classic Mulberry looks/styling
Can fit in Continental wallet, Mulberry pouch, Kindle, Travel Wallet, iPhone and keys without a problem
NVT - lovely leather
Not faffy - easy access, no straps to faff around with

Con's
Short handles can look a little odd when using the long shoulder strap - however, this can be overcome if you "train the handle to bed over and lie flat rather than having it stick up/out awkwardly
Some people think it's a bit boring.... but I think it looks nice and classic, each to their own
Can't fit the kitchen sink in it

Good luck with your search!!

Hmm, I really do love the idea of this bag and finally bought a pheasant green heritage sbs from the CO outlet last year. She came in the post and was perfect - absolutely gorgeous, in fact, with a beautiful suede lining and patent leather trim. She holds a lot more than you'd imagine - I've got photos somewhere (as yet not uploaded, there's a surprise) and she held a long purse, perfume, diary, phone, makeup bag, glasses case, key case and a lot more. She was also universally adored when I took her out with me to lunch the next day with friends. I love hand-held bags but also liked the option of the shoulder strap - she really seemed ideal.

BUT, I took her to my daughter's Build a Bear party and had a nightmare experience. I couldn't get in and out of her easily or quickly and there was no separate pocket for my phone (which I have in my Alexa). Everything got jumbled around - but I know that a lot of ladies use bag organizers, so that might be worth looking at. I even left some other shopping at the till, I was so preoccupied with trying to close the straps on my bag and not hold up the queue (luckily the girls put them aside until I realised I'd left them behind!!)

In hindsight, had I known of the existence of the mini Del Rey this season, I would have held out for one of these. There are some gorgeous colours, including black, and there was a beautiful slate blue reveal ("mini blue reveal" by ILuvBagsnChocs, yesterday, I think). It might be worth you having a look at this style too, if you're buying in person, rather than online. Don't be afraid to put everything in the bag, put it on your shoulder, in your hand - however you'd carry it - just take your time and be absolutely sure that you are happy with your choice!

Btw, I have the mini Taylor and she's lovely! I'm sorry she didn't work out for you although the sbs and, I suspect, the mini Del Rey too, hold a lot more for everyday wear!

Good luck; I hope I haven't muddied the waters for you!! ;)

Last edited:

Pro's
Two short handles - getting in and out of the bag is easy when using the short handles
Can fit in Continental wallet, Mulberry pouch, Kindle, Travel Wallet, iPhone and keys without a problem
NVT - lovely leather

Con's
Short handles can look a little odd when using the long shoulder strap - however, this can be overcome if you "train the handle to bed over and lie flat rather than having it stick up/out awkwardly
Some people think it's a bit boring.... but I think it looks nice and classic, each to their own

Thank you for the great reply! I love the fact that it's a classic mulberry style, the NVT leather will mean I won't have to baby it too much, but I'm sure I will haha :biggrin: love the fact it has a long strap.

I love the bag but I think I still have to convince myself it's ok to spend so much on bag :P

Hmm, I really do love the idea of this bag and finally bought a pheasant green heritage sbs from the CO outlet last year. She came in the post and was perfect - absolutely gorgeous, in fact, with a beautiful suede lining and patent leather trim. She holds a lot more than you'd imagine - I've got photos somewhere (as yet not uploaded, there's a surprise) and she held a long purse, perfume, diary, phone, makeup bag, glasses case, key case and a lot more. She was also universally adored when I took her out with me to lunch the next day with friends. I love hand-held bags but also liked the option of the shoulder strap - she really seemed ideal.

BUT, I took her to my daughter's Build a Bear party and had a nightmare experience. I couldn't get in and out of her easily or quickly and there was no separate pocket for my phone (which I have in my Alexa). Everything got jumbled around - but I know that a lot of ladies use bag organizers, so that might be worth looking at. I even left some other shopping at the till, I was so preoccupied with trying to close the straps on my bag and not hold up the queue (luckily the girls put them aside until I realised I'd left them behind!!)

In hindsight, had I known of the existence of the mini Del Rey this season, I would have held out for one of these. There are some gorgeous colours, including black, and there was a beautiful slate blue reveal ("mini blue reveal" by ILuvBagsnChocs, yesterday, I think). It might be worth you having a look at this style too, if you're buying in person, rather than online. Don't be afraid to put everything in the bag, put it on your shoulder, in your hand - however you'd carry it - just take your time and be absolutely sure that you are happy with your choice!

Btw, I have the mini Taylor and she's lovely! I'm sorry she didn't work out for you although the sbs and, I suspect, the mini Del Rey too, hold a lot more for everyday wear!

Good luck; I hope I haven't muddied the waters for you!! ;)

Thx for your reply! Hmm a separate phone pocket would have been nice, but a bag organiser could indeed be a solution and it would keep the inside of the bag clean.

I think the mini del rey is a beautiful bag but it's not really my style. I prefer the sbs. And wouldn't that be smaller than the SBS?

Thx for your reply! Hmm a separate phone pocket would have been nice, but a bag organiser could indeed be a solution and it would keep the inside of the bag clean.

I think the mini del rey is a beautiful bag but it's not really my style. I prefer the sbs. And wouldn't that be smaller than the SBS?

You have to go with what you like and what suits you! :smile: I like the Lexy's slouchy style, so I have two of those, also the no-nonsense Somerset satchel - it really is what ticks your boxes that counts! I got the impression from the reveal that the small Del Rey held more than you'd imagine, but if she's not "your bag" then obviously stick with what you love!! (I think small DR is also £100 more expensive!! ;))

Good luck - I think you need to get your hands on a sbs irl and try her out!! :biggrin:

Thank you for the great reply! I love the fact that it's a classic mulberry style, the NVT leather will mean I won't have to baby it too much, but I'm sure I will haha :biggrin: love the fact it has a long strap.

I love the bag but I think I still have to convince myself it's ok to spend so much on bag :P

Would you consider pre loved or does it have to be new? You can sometimes find a few SBS's on eBay...

Pro's
NVT - lovely leather

Con's

Totally agree with Lulu - I love my SBS.

I love sbs in style and the leather is tdf but I sold all my sbs's. Inspite of it being the perfect sized bag and easy to open.
Only reason was the handles that drove me crazy! When I carried them either on the shoulder or crossbody my elbow got caught up in the handles and stuck. Annoying to say the least. And I could not make myself sitting and training the handles to fall down, nah that was for me as almost were hurting my bags...Sorry I'm a bit weird when it does come to my Babies /bags...So I ended up selling all of them and buying Alexa instead, but still misses the tdf leather than the SBS''s had.(and the heritage ones leather were just amazing!) but at least I have a bag that sits nicely now either used or brandnew. But still miss the leather... :smile: But I do prefer the look when the handles is down by far.

I love sbs in style and the leather is tdf but I sold all my sbs's. Inspite of it being the perfect sized bag and easy to open.
Only reason was the handles that drove me crazy! When I carried them either on the shoulder or crossbody my elbow got caught up in the handles and stuck. Annoying to say the least. And I could not make myself sitting and training the handles to fall down, nah that was for me as almost were hurting my bags...Sorry I'm a bit weird when it does come to my Babies /bags...So I ended up selling all of them and buying Alexa instead, but still misses the tdf leather than the SBS''s had.(and the heritage ones leather were just amazing!) but at least I have a bag that sits nicely now either used or brandnew. But still miss the leather... :smile: But I do prefer the look when the handles is down by far.

Thx for your reply!
I think I would mainly wear my bag in the crook of my arm and cross body or over the shoulder when I'm tired of carrying it like that :P Do you think it would look good carried in the crook of the arm?
I've seen it irl but never held one so I don't really know :P

Thx for your reply!
I think I would mainly wear my bag in the crook of my arm and cross body or over the shoulder when I'm tired of carrying it like that :P Do you think it would look good carried in the crook of the arm?

I don't generally wear bags in crook of arm, but have done with SBS just when nipping to car, etc, and think it looks great like that as well as x-body :smile:

Thx for your reply!

It does look fab both handheld ( i did often that, they look so cute carried that way!)
and on the crook or shoulder/crossbody. But best is that you try on one and see what you think irl.
They are a bit chunky and not all my friends love the Sbs as some find it far to wide at the base, so always best to really try them on before a decision.
Sometimes i get so disappointed when I try a bag on and see that it does not fit me and sometimes I find myself buying with a bag I did not expect to love at all but it did felt so fab on so I could not resist...Lexy was so for me! :biggrin: