Advice on first mulberry

When I went to buy my foggy grey Alexa I did go to Harrod's first because they take the VAT off immediately for international customers. However they only had one, and the leather was creased very obviously at the top. So I trotted down to the flagship on Bond Street just after lunch time; it was a Monday or Thursday, one of the funny days so the store was practically empty. SA was helpful but not overly so, she got out several bags for me to try on and inspect without so much as a raised eyebrow. I left with my first love neatly packaged up with some sweet Mulberry tags on the paper bag. Now a year or so later she is still practically perfect, as beautiful as the day she was bought.

Sorry for the long story, but basically if you're looking for something different and more 'limited' the flagship is the way to go. They're more likely to have more of the same style of bag in stock and you do get the whole kit and caboodle of the experience.

Some things to be aware of: Don't be afraid to ask to see more bags. For the amount of money you're spending you are entitled to look for perfection. If the SAs are snooty keep in mind you can always head off to another Mulberry store and deprive them their commission.

When inspecting make sure all the hardware is scratch free or protected by plastic. Make sure the zips work smoothly and they don't catch on anything. Similarly make sure the turn lock works to your wishes. Inspect stitching and places where the threads may come loose easily, touch the leather and see if the thickness is right. Check the back and the bottom for stains or deep creases. If you see something and it's only small but it niggles you, ask to see another bag otherwise you'll go home with it and all you'll be able to see is that little imperfection.

As for quality concerns I can only speak from my experience. I do not baby my bags but I do treat them with respect. My year old Lexy is still gorgeous and the Bayswater Clutch which I've been using almost daily for the last eight months looks almost the same as when I bought it. The Mulberry style still very much appeals to me and I'll probably be buying bags from them for years to come.

Thanks for your helpful reply! I think for my first Mulberry I want that experience with having a mulberry carrier bag, buying in the flagship store,... I know that I will take really good care of my handbag, I always have done this even with handbags that weren't expensive at all.
I will definitely ask them to see more of the same style so I can inspect them carefully and see which one is perfect for me.

I was just a bit scared after my whole Taylor sale disaster of having another faulty bag. But when I can pick it out myself I can decide whether the quality looks good to me or not.

Hello
They now come in a lovely box which is quite useful afterwards. Make sure you ask for one!
You still get the dustbag etc

Love the fact that they come in a box now. That makes it so much more luxurious I think. And it's very useful afterwards like you said to store the bag in my closet :smile:

I will have a gigantic carrier bag on my lap on the Eurostar :biggrin: haha :P I will not let that bag go out of my sight :biggrin:

Let us know how you get on Sofie!

I am just about to make my first purchase too and I am so undecided! Going to go to House of Fraser tomorrow to decide which one is for me! :greengrin:

I haven't purchased yet. Tomorrow is my last day and I will probably buy it then :smile: I haven't seen it in black only in oak. I will ask in store to see it. Will see how I like it irl :smile: hopefully its everything I want :smile: i will let you know if I buy or not :smile:

Hi Sofie.

What exciting times buying your first Mulberry. I made my first purchase about a week ago and I have not looked back since! Fantastic bag, amazing service in the shop and I look at it everyday with pride :woohoo:

Just a quick tip: If you're flying out of Stansted or Heathrow it might be worth considering to buy your bag there. The bags are considerably cheaper in the airport shops. I saved about 17-20 % buying mine in Stansted, and still got the full experience with the Mulberry wrapping and a carrier bag. They do have limited stock though, so if you are going for a willow or a limited edition or special colour they might not have it.

Good luck. Looking forward to the reveal.

Hi Sofie.

What exciting times buying your first Mulberry. I made my first purchase about a week ago and I have not looked back since! Fantastic bag, amazing service in the shop and I look at it everyday with pride :woohoo:

Just a quick tip: If you're flying out of Stansted or Heathrow it might be worth considering to buy your bag there. The bags are considerably cheaper in the airport shops. I saved about 17-20 % buying mine in Stansted, and still got the full experience with the Mulberry wrapping and a carrier bag. They do have limited stock though, so if you are going for a willow or a limited edition or special colour they might not have it.

Hi Col - I knew Heathrow did the discount but didn't know Stansted did too. I plan on getting someone to get it for me through there!! :cool: x

Hi Sofie.

:biggrin: its great to hear you are still as so excited about your Mulberry!
I'm from Belgium so I came with the Eutostar so no discount for me. But I'm lucky the exchange rate is good at the moment :smile: