Advice on first mulberry

Haha :P I think if I buy this first Mulberry it won't be my last :P my trips to London from now on will be more exciting :biggrin: perhaps a new Mulberry on every trip :biggrin:
Exactly! I may have gone a little bit crazy but I love using these beautiful bags and best of all they don't break after 3 months use. I know I coud get cheaper bags that are good quality like radley but I just love my mulberries. Honestly with my current collection I don't need anything else..... I still want though! ;)

I love the bags in your current wish list, mostly classics which is an excellent idea!

Exactly! I may have gone a little bit crazy but I love using these beautiful bags and best of all they don't break after 3 months use. I know I coud get cheaper bags that are good quality like radley but I just love my mulberries. Honestly with my current collection I don't need anything else..... I still want though! ;)

I love the bags in your current wish list, mostly classics which is an excellent idea!

Exactly! I've always bought handbags that were around 200-300€. They were good quality but I never really loved them. Then in 2008 I went to London for the first time and discovered Mulberry :biggrin: I fell in love with the style and the quality, so I knew once my student days were over I would buy myself a Mulberry :biggrin:

I would rather spend 900€ on a bag that I really love than 300€ on a bag thats just so so.

And I want my expensive bags to be classic. For the really trendy bags I don't want to spend as much if in a year they are out of fashion.

I think definitely try to go to the flagship store. The whole experience will be just more... Mulberry! It may be difficult to get a SA's attention, especially if on a Saturday, but there's plenty to browse at whilst you're waiting.

You must go in and try the bag. Parade it about the whole store. I did have an SBS, but ultimately it wasn't for me and I sold it nearly new. I bought mine online, and I like to think that had I seen it in store I would have realised it wasn't for me straight away. Try lots of styles and wear something nice and neutral which will look good with the bags.

Sometimes the SA's might be a bit snooty. but probably they get tired of time-wasters, but by all means, be a demanding customer, you're spending a fortune after all.

If you go to the Bond Street store and you're not keen, or they don't have what you want, then Selfridges and HOF and JL are all 10 minutes walk away on Oxford Street.

Or there's other smaller stores- one in Knightsbridge for example.

Also when I bought from HOF at Bluewater, I didn't get a Mulberry carrier bag, just the dust bag so don't count on it unless you get from the actual Mulberry store.

Best of luck with your task!! x

I think definitely try to go to the flagship store. The whole experience will be just more... Mulberry! It may be difficult to get a SA's attention, especially if on a Saturday, but there's plenty to browse at whilst you're waiting.

You must go in and try the bag. Parade it about the whole store. I did have an SBS, but ultimately it wasn't for me and I sold it nearly new. I bought mine online, and I like to think that had I seen it in store I would have realised it wasn't for me straight away. Try lots of styles and wear something nice and neutral which will look good with the bags.

Sometimes the SA's might be a bit snooty. but probably they get tired of time-wasters, but by all means, be a demanding customer, you're spending a fortune after all.

If you go to the Bond Street store and you're not keen, or they don't have what you want, then Selfridges and HOF and JL are all 10 minutes walk away on Oxford Street.

Or there's other smaller stores- one in Knightsbridge for example.

Also when I bought from HOF at Bluewater, I didn't get a Mulberry carrier bag, just the dust bag so don't count on it unless you get from the actual Mulberry store.

Best of luck with your task!! x

Thx for your advice! I will definitely try it on, walk around with it. I will not decide in 5 minutes. I'll probably go to the flagship store on bond street :smile: i would really love the entire experience, i know it might be stupid to want a mulberry carrier bag as well but i would never throw it away :P haha

I've also read on here people asking in store if they have more of the same bag to choose the leather. Is that an ok thing to ask?

Thx for your advice! I will definitely try it on, walk around with it. I will not decide in 5 minutes. I'll probably go to the flagship store on bond street :smile: i would really love the entire experience, i know it might be stupid to want a mulberry carrier bag as well but i would never throw it away :P haha

I've also read on here people asking in store if they have more of the same bag to choose the leather. Is that an ok thing to ask?

They dont mind at all, they prob are used to that request, I always ask to see a few bags so I can choose the best grain /leather for me. :biggrin:

Yes do ask to see more of the bags i find that in the glasgow store they offer you the chance to choose from the ones they have in stock.

They dont mind at all, they prob are used to that request, I always ask to see a few bags so I can choose the best grain /leather for me. :biggrin:

Thx :smile: i will definitely ask them to see more sbs :smile: hopefully if it is everything I want, I have my first Mulberry in 2 weeks :biggrin:

So Friday I'm leaving for London :biggrin: Now I've read Baginuse's thread about her faulty bags and scarf. Now I'm a bit scared about the quality. I don't want to spend over 800€ on a bag that's not great quality.
Can you give me some advice on what to check on the handbag when you buy one in store? I don't want to come home with it and then after a couple of uses discover that something's wrong with it. Do you think the SBS is worth the 695£ price and that it is good quality?

Thx!

So Friday I'm leaving for London :biggrin: Now I've read Baginuse's thread about her faulty bags and scarf. Now I'm a bit scared about the quality. I don't want to spend over 800€ on a bag that's not great quality.
Can you give me some advice on what to check on the handbag when you buy one in store? I don't want to come home with it and then after a couple of uses discover that something's wrong with it. Do you think the SBS is worth the 695£ price and that it is good quality?

Thx!
I don't think you should worry too much. There are mistakes but for the most part the bags are very good quality. Also you will be able to look at the bag in person (most of my bags have been bought unseen and were fine). Just be sure no scratches on the lock and that the leather is good. Look at the stitching on the handles. And look at inside to be sure there are no marks. Avoid buying display models although sometimes ladies here fall in love with the leather on a display and buy it!

I think the SBS is a nice bag. I prefer east west for the shoulder straps. Look at all the different bags in store. If you don't love SBS there will be something else.

Good luck and have fun!

Thx!

Always for ask if they have more than one in stock so you can compare them and choose the better one for you.

I don't think you should worry too much. There are mistakes but for the most part the bags are very good quality. Also you will be able to look at the bag in person (most of my bags have been bought unseen and were fine). Just be sure no scratches on the lock and that the leather is good. Look at the stitching on the handles. And look at inside to be sure there are no marks. Avoid buying display models although sometimes ladies here fall in love with the leather on a display and buy it!

I think the SBS is a nice bag. I prefer east west for the shoulder straps. Look at all the different bags in store. If you don't love SBS there will be something else.

Good luck and have fun!

Thx for your advice! I would definitely prefer not to buy the display model. So I will ask them to bring some out from the back so I can choose the leather etc... I will keep you updated whether or not I purchase the SBS :smile:

When I went to buy my foggy grey Alexa I did go to Harrod's first because they take the VAT off immediately for international customers. However they only had one, and the leather was creased very obviously at the top. So I trotted down to the flagship on Bond Street just after lunch time; it was a Monday or Thursday, one of the funny days so the store was practically empty. SA was helpful but not overly so, she got out several bags for me to try on and inspect without so much as a raised eyebrow. I left with my first love neatly packaged up with some sweet Mulberry tags on the paper bag. Now a year or so later she is still practically perfect, as beautiful as the day she was bought.

Sorry for the long story, but basically if you're looking for something different and more 'limited' the flagship is the way to go. They're more likely to have more of the same style of bag in stock and you do get the whole kit and caboodle of the experience.

Some things to be aware of: Don't be afraid to ask to see more bags. For the amount of money you're spending you are entitled to look for perfection. If the SAs are snooty keep in mind you can always head off to another Mulberry store and deprive them their commission.

When inspecting make sure all the hardware is scratch free or protected by plastic. Make sure the zips work smoothly and they don't catch on anything. Similarly make sure the turn lock works to your wishes. Inspect stitching and places where the threads may come loose easily, touch the leather and see if the thickness is right. Check the back and the bottom for stains or deep creases. If you see something and it's only small but it niggles you, ask to see another bag otherwise you'll go home with it and all you'll be able to see is that little imperfection.

As for quality concerns I can only speak from my experience. I do not baby my bags but I do treat them with respect. My year old Lexy is still gorgeous and the Bayswater Clutch which I've been using almost daily for the last eight months looks almost the same as when I bought it. The Mulberry style still very much appeals to me and I'll probably be buying bags from them for years to come.

I've had 3 SBS and none have been faulty at all.
My only faulty bag was a Lexy bought online.

I think as long as you can see it before buying it will be fine. :smile: