Advice on first Chanel - calfskin vs caviar?

skigirl3136

May 22, 2020
I'm so so excited to be buying my first Chanel, a black North/South boy bag with gold hardware. I'm planning on carrying this bag very frequently, so I want it to be durable. I know that caviar is considerably more durable than lambskin but what about caviar vs. calfskin? These are the two options I have and they're priced the same. I love the look of the calfskin but I would be so so sad if it scratched, as I have another (non-designer) purse that I just love but is covered in scratches now because of the soft leather and I feel it's beginning to look a bit junky.

Thanks for your help!

ChanelCanuck

Jan 21, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Congrats on your first Chanel! Calfskin is more durable than lambskin, but caviar is a workhorse material. Boy designs seem to get an extra amount of wear on the corners too (not sure why; is it the boxiness of the corners?). Definitely go with caviar if it's going to be a bag you use frequently.

ashin121

O.G.
Mar 12, 2008
get caviar if you don't want it to get scratched. I have calfskin boy, and the corners are worn out. I'm pretty careful with my bags too.. I dont mind so much but if you don't that to happen then go for the caviar.