advice on finally getting an even complexion

feferity

afrocentric
O.G.
Jul 8, 2008
Since discovering TPF, I've used a lot of really great advice for my face that was worked well. I exfoliate twice a week with an aspirin mask, 3 times a week with Mint Julep, and use the St. Ives every night in between aspirin masks. My skin FEELS soft, but it looks sooooo dull and dry/bumpy. I try to drink a lot of water, but I don't know what else to do. I'm badly in need of foundation advice, but everytime I go to MAC they make it too cakey, or too sheer. Right now all I use is their sheer pressed powder in N45 I think. What kind of foundation can I use that will leave my skin looking smoother, but also not oily. I have very oily skin! I just want a more fresh looking and smoother face. My forehead is really my most troublesome zone, as you can see with the zillion tiny bumps.

faceface-1.jpg

thanks ladies! BTW, I am 17 :smile:

OP, do you sleep with your hair pulled back? That helped me a ton with bumps on my forehead. I think the oil from my hair was rubbing off. I sleep with my hair back every night now, and my skin is much clearer that way!

You are exfoliating but make sure you are also putting some moisture on your skin also. There are quite a few that are oil free but will give you more of a glow. Are you using any type of primer under your foundation? I have found that makes a world of difference in how your foundation goes on and helps to keep oil at bay. Sometimes it just takes time to find the right combination.

I highly recommend Neutrogena Acne Stress Free line along with Visibly Even

Nighttime routine
1. Cetaphil to remove makeup /Acne Stress Free Power Foam Wash
2. Clear Pore Oil Eliminating Astringent
3. Acne Stress Free Hydrating Acne Treatment (This contains Salicylic Acid that is what aspirin is made of)

Daytime routine
1. Acne Stress Free Power Foam Wash
2. Clear Pore Oil Eliminating Astringent (contains salicylic acid)
2. Visibly Even Daily SPF 15 Moisturizer (it really even skin tone out)

Use tepid water to help with oil production and stick to the routine; you should see results very soon.

This routine has worked for me and so many of my friends and family. Please stay away form Benzoyl Peroxide it is very drying and usually does not react well to African American skin.

Attachments

• Neutrogena4.jpg
    Neutrogena4.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Neutrogena5.jpg
    Neutrogena5.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 89
  • Neutrogena.jpg
    Neutrogena.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Cetaphil.jpg
    Cetaphil.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 87
keep up the water intake. you seem to have clogged pores, like i did on my forehead. after drinking water (which i really need to do right now since i only had 16 oz. at school) you will have a smooth complexion. i had tons of clogged pores and now my forehead is completely smooth!

I would cut back on the exfoliation to 2~3 times a week MAX. You're aggravating your face since you're exfoliating everyday, making your face dry. Because your skin is dry and is being stripped of its natural oil, it's producing even more oil to compensate, making you oilier! Of course, this would contribute more to clogged pores, etc.

I definitely don't recommend MAC foundations -- many people get bumps and breakouts from them. I don't react to the Studio Fix Fluid, but I make sure to remove it REALLY well. Try to go to other counters and see what you like! Right now I really love Chanel!

I agree with cutting down on the exfoliation and adding a light moisturizer to your skincare routine! :yes:

I like your eye makeup in the picture you posted!

Since discovering TPF, I've used a lot of really great advice for my face that was worked well. I exfoliate twice a week with an aspirin mask, 3 times a week with Mint Julep, and use the St. Ives every night in between aspirin masks. My skin FEELS soft, but it looks sooooo dull and dry/bumpy. I try to drink a lot of water, but I don't know what else to do. I'm badly in need of foundation advice, but everytime I go to MAC they make it too cakey, or too sheer. Right now all I use is their sheer pressed powder in N45 I think. What kind of foundation can I use that will leave my skin looking smoother, but also not oily. I have very oily skin! I just want a more fresh looking and smoother face. My forehead is really my most troublesome zone, as you can see with the zillion tiny bumps.
faceface-1.jpg

thanks ladies! BTW, I am 17 :smile:

i can totally relate to you i was having the same problem
i am just now starting to get my forehead back to normal
i think it was mac that was doing it i cut it out completely & now i am seeing a difference
i switched my skin care also to mario badescu
if you go to the website & register they will email you & ask if you want free samples the samples are big too but try a new makeup 1st
i love clinique im using the clarifying makeup
it gives a good coverage its not heavy
i got a powder to but its the wrong color so i tried
maybelline pure stay i think is what its called
that also gives the right amount of coverage
i am still a lil oily on m nose but im working that kink out now
good luck!!
:tup:

I would suggest looking into Chanel foundations (especially Teint Innocence). That one really helped me even out my skintone and gave me a slight glow without becoming overly oily. You might want to add moisturizer to your routine and keep the exfoliating to 3 times a week only.

Adding to the great advice of ladies above, I would look into what you eat. I avoided alcohol, sugar, gluten for 3 weeks and ate loads of vegetables, drink 1/2 squeezed lemon in a glass of warm water every morning....and WAOW my skin brightened and my break outs stopped !