~Advice on diamond certification~

HelloKiwi

Dec 6, 2007
My mom lost her diamond certification in a fire when I was young. Now, my bf n I are thinking of buying the ring from her to use as my engagement ring. This way, she can have extra money for retirement n I know I'm getting good quality diamond without supporting blood diamond n all. And paying her slowly for the diamond is the best deal ever.

I just need to get it certified so that i can go to any jeweler n hAve them build the setting while the diamond is with me. It would be significantly more expensive to get the same quality for the diamond right now n I want to b careful. Any help would b appreciated!!!! Thank u

You can certainly send it to GIA for grading, which is preferable to having an appraiser do it if you want a recognized grading report. You could use AGS if you preferred, did you want the diamond graded for cut quality also? Both labs grade for cut quality these days, if the diamond is over 1 carat then you can get the full GIA grading report, under a carat usually get the GIA Diamond Dossier which does not assign a cut grade or clarity plot but does give colour and clarity grades and some other details of the diamond. The Diamond Dossier is cheaper than the full GIA grading report.

As to mailing a diamond, USPS Registered is the usual method of choice, it is slow but very safe as the diamond is under lock and key when not moving and it has to be signed for each time it changes hands. I believe you can get up to 25k insurance but you would need to check to be sure.

Many good jewelers are or have a certified appraiser on their premises.
If you take the ring in and let them know you are going to re-set it maybe they will adjust the price. Call first and get an idea what they charge for appraisals and whether you need to schedule an appointment. I needed my stone re-appraised for insurance purposes and had it done by a master ASAm gemologist and watched as he appraised it. it was really very interesting to see how it is done.

I've been thinking about this and may ammend my answer. If one is looking to simply know specs just to know, a GG is the quicker, cheaper route. If one plans to ever sell or trade their stone, I might recommend sending away to AGS with GIA a close second.

Take it to an independent appraiser that is NOT affiliated with a jewelry store--as in doesn't work for one.

I have sent my diamonds/rings via Registered Mail with no problems. The package is under lock and key at all times and if something happens to it the person couriering it is usually fired.