Advice on Bal city

batfish

O.G.
Apr 19, 2011
I bought a preloved city a few weeks ago for what I thought was an absolute steal. It's a pale cream colour but has colour transfer on the back of the bag and the corners (I think from dark jeans). Other than this, its in really good condition with little wear.

I bought the bag with the intention of dyeing it black (or possibly another dark colour), but since receiving the bag which is in better condition than I was expecting, I've become slightly nervous about doing this and ruining the bag! I've enquired about having it dyed professionally but this seems really expensive and if I'm going to do this, I may as well just sell the bag I've got and buy a black bag.

I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on dyeing a bag. I've read through "kerryisntreal"s thread on here which was really helpful.

My main concerns about dyeing it myself are 1) whether there will be colour transfer from the bag when using it after dyeing it. 2) the dye peeling 3) how to dye the fabric bit of the zip, 4) how to dye the "glue" on the edges of the bag. 5) the best way of preventing the dye going on the bits I don't want to dye.

I've dyed a pair of shoes ages ago but other than that have never dyed leather myself. I would be grateful for any advice on dyeing it myself and whether you think it's possible for me to do without ruining it or whether I should either fork out to have it dyed professionally or whether I should just try and clean it and get the colour transfer removed (although I don't really want a cream bag!) and then either keep it like that or sell it.

Thanks for any help and tips.

I bought a preloved city a few weeks ago for what I thought was an absolute steal. It's a pale cream colour but has colour transfer on the back of the bag and the corners (I think from dark jeans). Other than this, its in really good condition with little wear.

I bought the bag with the intention of dyeing it black (or possibly another dark colour), but since receiving the bag which is in better condition than I was expecting, I've become slightly nervous about doing this and ruining the bag! I've enquired about having it dyed professionally but this seems really expensive and if I'm going to do this, I may as well just sell the bag I've got and buy a black bag.

I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on dyeing a bag. I've read through "kerryisntreal"s thread on here which was really helpful.

My main concerns about dyeing it myself are 1) whether there will be colour transfer from the bag when using it after dyeing it. 2) the dye peeling 3) how to dye the fabric bit of the zip, 4) how to dye the "glue" on the edges of the bag. 5) the best way of preventing the dye going on the bits I don't want to dye.

I've dyed a pair of shoes ages ago but other than that have never dyed leather myself. I would be grateful for any advice on dyeing it myself and whether you think it's possible for me to do without ruining it or whether I should either fork out to have it dyed professionally or whether I should just try and clean it and get the colour transfer removed (although I don't really want a cream bag!) and then either keep it like that or sell it.

Thanks for any help and tips.

I'm not able to give you tips on dyeing, but if you post in the "Care," threads you're sure to get some ideas.

However, since you asked, I've had the best professional leather worker partially dye one of my oldies to cover stains etc., and even the very talented experts can't retain the look, texture and aroma of the original leather. Someone may want a cream bag for the price you paid. If I were you, I'd sell it, and put the cash toward what you want.

While I have never dyed an item myself, I have seen others who have had a bag/accessory dyed .. and sad to say, the leather is never the same. Something about the dye just ruins that soft Balenciaga feel and especially the slouch .. and let's face it, that's why we buy these bags. I agree with *Connie* .. sell it and put the $$ towards a real Black bag.

While I have never dyed an item myself, I have seen others who have had a bag/accessory dyed .. and sad to say, the leather is never the same. Something about the dye just ruins that soft Balenciaga feel and especially the slouch .. and let's face it, that's why we buy these bags. I agree with *Connie* .. sell it and put the $$ towards a real Black bag.

ITA...I've had a Bal restored and the leather is just not the same. It loses it's soft, suppleness. It's such a huge bummer. Give her a good home and use the proceeds to treat yourself to a new one.