Advice needed on how to handle this situation with seller/shipping

bulletproofsoul

Always on the hunt
O.G.
Jan 18, 2007
Hi everyone!

I've been on the 'Bay for quite a while, so I've seen my share of problems, shipping fee fluctuations, etc. I also buy internationally quite a bit, so I do have an idea on what shipping fees range. I am, however, already irked with the seller in this situation. They are a new seller with only a couple of feedbacks, but I had to have this shirt they listed. I do purchase from Australia quite a bit and made sure I read the listing for any mention of not selling internationally. Nothing mentioned in the description or the terms. After the auction ended, I sent an email to the seller to let them know I am in the US, and that I needed a shipping amount to pay promptly. This is how they responded:

hi there, we actually specified that we do not post internationally, however we will in this instance. for express courier international it will cost $49.60 and will take approx 3-5 working days. please pay a total of $90.60 ASAP and we will post with priority!!

They did NOT specify that they didn't post internationally and that shipping price is excessive! I know that it is for express courier, according to them, but it is a $30.00 t-shirt! Should I let them know that on top of them being wrong about specifying no international sales that the shipping fee is excessive? Should I suck it up and pay it?

I know you all will help me handle this the best way possible, so I appreciate in advance any solutions/advice you can give me!

Is this a must have item? Will you be heartsick if you don't have it?

Since they said they don't usually ship internationally, you may be able to get out of this transaction.

Think logically not so emotionally..hope this helps

Can understand why you are irked by this, bulletproofsoul, since the shipping fees do appear to be excessive. If you really want the item, can you perhaps negotiate a more appropriate shipping cost or if not, I guess you might have to pull out? You could probably agree with the seller that you don't pay and they get their listing fee back, but what a nuisance if you would really like the item. Let us know what you decide.

Wankers! (that's an Aussie term, and not one of endearment) Keep the copy of the email where they tell you they don't ship internationally, and THEN if they try to report you as NPB you have proof they told you they wouldn't ship internationally.

So write back and say "I'm so very sorry that I misinterpreted your auction shipping. Let's just agree to mutually cancel, seeing as you say you do not ship internationally" and maybe apologize again. They've clearly NOW told you they don't ship internationally, so there should be no strike against you as a buyer.

Unless of course you NEED that t-shirt. It would have to be a very nice t-shirt for darn near $100. Personally I'd run the other way -- not just the incorrect listing (and trying to blame you) but the gouging for shipping tell me that seller isn't one you want to deal with!

I am always getting stuff sent to me from relatives in Australia. A T-shirt would never cost that much. Even sent Airmail with tracking.

Here's the link for Australia Post. You could make a recommendation if you wanted to of a more realistic postal scale. I think they are just out of their depth as a new seller. http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/int_parcel.asp

If they really don't ship to other countries, and are selling new items, why wouldn't they use the doesn't ship outside Australia button selected to block bids from any other countries. ;)

You probably have enough evidence to walk away with a teflon coating as their shipping is excessive for starters and they didn't use their preferences correctly to prevent you from bidding. You don't want a non-paying bidder strike though.

I do usually email first before bidding on anything where the seller has not put worldwide on their listing. But usually the postage is lower than I expect, not higher like this one appears to be!!!

Wankers! (that's an Aussie term, and not one of endearment) Keep the copy of the email where they tell you they don't ship internationally, and THEN if they try to report you as NPB you have proof they told you they wouldn't ship internationally.

So write back and say "I'm so very sorry that I misinterpreted your auction shipping. Let's just agree to mutually cancel, seeing as you say you do not ship internationally" and maybe apologize again. They've clearly NOW told you they don't ship internationally, so there should be no strike against you as a buyer.

Unless of course you NEED that t-shirt. It would have to be a very nice t-shirt for darn near $100. Personally I'd run the other way -- not just the incorrect listing (and trying to blame you) but the gouging for shipping tell me that seller isn't one you want to deal with!
^^
agree. try to work to mutually cancel the item. and was the shipping price quoted in AUD or USD? i buy a lot from OS and i am in australia and the shipping usually goes from USD28 to USD 35...(express with signature confirmation,etc)