ADVICE NEEDED! Oak Bayswater - Please help.

camelot

Nov 12, 2006
Can someone please help.

I recently bought an Oak Calder (waxed leather) and I love it. Trouble is it's very large and not ideal as an everyday bag.

Now, I've got my eye on an Oak Bayswater (natural leather) that I think will be more appropriate as an everyday bag. This is where I need your advice:

• I've never seen an Oak Bayswater in real life. On the Mulberry website, the Oak (natural leather) looks quite light (colour wise). I'd be happy if the shade of the Oak natural leather is the same as the Oak waxed leather. Does anyone know if Oak waxed leather is darker than the Oak natural leather? Or is it about the same?
  • I keep reading posts that refer to the Oak darwin. Is this the same as the Oak natural leather?
  • Also, I can't decide between the Bayswater and the large Bayswater. Does anyone here own both sizes and do you have pictures of bags worn against their body so I that I can make a judgement of which size to go for. I'm about 5'6" and 57kg.
I'd really appreciate if someone could help :confused1:

Thank you.

As an everyday bag I'd say bays would be big enough. Have you looked at the catwalk thread- there are pics of ladies carrying bayswaters on there although I don't think I know of anyone with the large bays. Darwin leather is the old name for the natural leather (although some people think there is a difference in the leather in terms of thickness/ quality)
Bear in mind the natural leather ages and darkens with time so even though it starts off quite light it will darken. I can't compare to the waxed leather as I've never seen it in real life. Hope this has helped!

I have the oak bays and I find that more than big enough for everyday and I carry the kitchen sink. There are a number of diff pics of ladies with their bays onthe catwalk thread (they usually have heights too to help you out.) I suggest having a peak there for inspiration!

I found my pic for you, I'm 5"3

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

HTH

^^^Great pics, Cat!

Natural leather will age beautifully, and darken with time. That is the idea with the natural (and the old Darwin) leather - to get the used and slightly marked look of a well loved bag. I have never seen the waxed leather irl, so I can't compare the colours, sorry.

Size wise i would say the large bays is more a weekend bag (but that is just my opinion). The regular bays is a large bag .. I suppose it really depends what you carry. If you are planning on using it as a briefcase/work bag and you need lots of room then maybe the large - but if it is just an every day then probably the normal.

DOnt know about the oak waxed - but the oak is lovely.

Hi girls,

Thanks for the advise. I will take a look at some of the pics on the other threads ... to be perfectly honest, I think I've pretty much made up my mind. I've been lusting for the Bayswater for some time so I may as well get it.

Cat_UK,, thanks for posting the pics of your bag. It looks gorgeous!

As Cat_UK says, there are loads of photos of Bays on other threads. There is the Catwalk Thread and also a Beautiful Bays thread too.

I have one too and its great. The large Bays (Piccadilly) as RascalCat says is more of an Overnight bag.

Size wise i would say the large bays is more a weekend bag (but that is just my opinion). The regular bays is a large bag .. I suppose it really depends what you carry.

Completely agree :tup: The regular Bays is large enough for me as a daytime bag, even when I'm carrying loads. Also, don't forget that there is the regular Bays, then the large Bays, then the Piccadilly (like a giant Bays :lol:)

Traditionally the Piccadilly was the size to go for as an overnight/travel bag, but I feel that the large Bays would also fit the bill very well too - it's still a big bag!

Oh yeah I didn't notice them - was this what you were wearing the other day then Flossie? I know you were pleased to be able to wear your White Jeans again. You look lovely, as always!

Can you post your photo in the Catwalk Thread too?

Oh yeah I didn't notice them - was this what you were wearing the other day then Flossie? I know you were pleased to be able to wear your White Jeans again. You look lovely, as always!

Can you post your photo in the Catwalk Thread too?

Ali , yes it was . The jeans are not as loose as they normally are but hey , I'm just pleased to be in them .
I put it on the catwalk for you too..

I have the oak bays and I find that more than big enough for everyday and I carry the kitchen sink. There are a number of diff pics of ladies with their bays onthe catwalk thread (they usually have heights too to help you out.) I suggest having a peak there for inspiration!

Cat, what size of Bay do you have? The regular or the large?

Great photos! Thanks for posting them. I'm saving up for an Oak Bays too.