advice needed Lindy 30 or 34?

jamberry said:
Thank you, tresorchic, for this intel! I'm actually in the Chicago area next weekend...now if I can only convince my DH to LET ME SHOP!!

I just came across the H-club for LINDYs...wow, it gave me goose-bumps thinking about getting one!! So much fun reading about how everyone is enjoying their LINDYs!!:smile:

Just stop by to try the size at least. They had the 30 and the 34 last week giving you a chance to try them on.

Thank you, kimberf, jesmineang, PINKLICIOUS, & Irishbb for sharing your thoughts & all your wonderful advice! I was looking into more neutral colors on the 34, if they were available (except black), but now I'm curious to see the actual size of a 30.

What does a size 30 fit? I usually carry a long zip-around wallet, cellphone, small book, small makeup bag, tissues/ hankie, sunglasses, keys...I do like the fact that you can carry it on your shoulder or on your arm.

FINALLY, is Lindy a good choice as a first (& maybe ONLY) Hermes bag purchase? Can you use this bag as a hand-held one for evenings out? Since I don't usually wear fancy heels, or dresses too often, I thought I would find more use for the Lindy.

However, as I have other more casual bags (Chanel, LV, Prada), should I be saving up for a Kelly or Birkin instead? Or, even look into a Constance? I'd really like a bag I could still use well into my late 40s-50s-60s, & after the SA said the Lindy is a more youthful style, I'm less certain...

Since I can't see them all in the stores, I feel quite confused & don't want to make a mistake on my first purchase. Ahhhh....

Thank you all for your help. This is a big step for me :smile:

Given the things you carry, the 34 might be a better size for you, unless you mean a really small book, as in smaller than your hand. They would all fit into the 30, no problem, but I think it mightn't have the cool folding effect and could look very boxy. If the book is tiny, then no problem.

When you ask about evenings out, how formal are you thinking? I think it's too big a bag to use for cocktail or more formal events, but for dinner out at an average nice restaurant, it's fine, IMO.

As far as the age question, I am 40, and I plan to carry my Lindies for quite a while, at least another 10 years, and that includes the Pink if it matches what I'm wearing. However, I find that with age, I care less and less about what others think if I like something, so who knows if others will find it inappropriate.;)

Re the Kelly/Birkin question, I think it all depends on your style and what you'd truly use and love. I used to have a Black Box Birkin (my first H bag), and I sold it. It was too stiff/formal for my current lifestyle, and I really like to have a shoulder carry option. It was a beautiful, classic bag, but I just wasn't using it enough to justify keeping it. That is one advantage of a Kelly or Birkin -- if you do decide it's not the right one for you, you can sell it without taking much of a financial hit at all; the Lindy you would probably have a bit of a loss (though I do see crazy over-retail ones on eBay). Not that that's a big factor in the decision, but it's good to keep in mind.

I love the look of the Kelly and the fact that it has a shoulder strap, but I've read enough about the difficulties getting in and out of it that I think I would not carry it often. The Lindy I can use as a daily bag. Not to say that I'm not tempted by the others now and then, but they just aren't right for me right now.

^Thank you, kimberf, for such a detailed response to my questions:smile: I'm encouraged by all the positive feedback I've seen here about the Lindy & the choice of colors available.

I know I'd feel more comfortable holding a Lindy during the course of my day since it doesn't "scream" HERMES! And I'm sold on the 2 outside pockets for cellphone, keys & the extra 2 inner pockets.

I also wanted to be able to use the Lindy for "date-nights":P, wearing it on my arm even though it is a more casual style-

Since the Kelly doesn't have any outer pockets, & the Birkin can't be worn on the shoulder, I guess my vote is still to go with the LINDY as my first H-bag purchase!

I love the fact that I can actually buy this bag off the shelf! LOL And I think it would be more versatile than the Evelyne..

Thanks for the advice not to overload the bag as I do LOVE the "fortune cookie" fold in the middle! Can't wait to get my hands on one!!

Last edited:
Hi, I am new to Hermes though I collect their scarves, accessories, etc. I am looking into making my first H-bag purchase & had thought a Lindy would suit my more casual style & day-to-day needs.

My SA thought the 34 was the right size for me, and she only had one in black in the store. If I want to try or see a size 30, how best to go about this? And how do I know what colors are available?

I'm 5'2", a US size 8-ish, so perhaps the SA is right in saying the 30 would be too small. I did find the base of the size 34 bag to be wide when I tried it on--would the leather get softer with use?

The SA told me they cannot get leather goods from other Hermes stores in the country; so, they can only sell what they have in the store.

Finally, is the Lindy easy to use? Can you access your things while the bag is still on your shoulder?

Thanks so much for your help, ladies! :smile:

Hi Jamberry! I'm exactly your size & height.

I have a lindy 34 etoupe and love it especially when traveling. no matter how much i put in there it's not heavy to carry. for my everyday stuff i usually carry a long wallet and a make up pouch that houses all i need (compact, 2 lippies, earphones, calvi as tissue holder, tape measure - i'm currently remodeling our home.) when i travel i'd add in sunnies and a shawl or cardi and there's still plenty of room to spare.

my only con on the 34 is that i can't put it on my lap when we eat at restos. so i just put it under the table (if an extra seat is not available) but always loop the long handle to my thigh.

i chose the 34 bec of the longer strap. with the 30 (which i tried several times) i kind of have a harder time accessing my stuff bec of the shoulder strap.

Hi Jamberry! I'm exactly your size & height.

I have a lindy 34 etoupe and love it especially when traveling. no matter how much i put in there it's not heavy to carry. for my everyday stuff i usually carry a long wallet and a make up pouch that houses all i need (compact, 2 lippies, earphones, calvi as tissue holder, tape measure - i'm currently remodeling our home.) when i travel i'd add in sunnies and a shawl or cardi and there's still plenty of room to spare.

my only con on the 34 is that i can't put it on my lap when we eat at restos. so i just put it under the table (if an extra seat is not available) but always loop the long handle to my thigh.

i chose the 34 bec of the longer strap. with the 30 (which i tried several times) i kind of have a harder time accessing my stuff bec of the shoulder strap.

Hi, baileylab! Thanks for your kind advice about the Lindy. So many wonderful TPfers have responded to my questions:smile: The Lindy does intrigue me & my DH also liked the style! I'm hoping to try the 30, after trying on the 34 in the store. Glad to hear that so much fits in this bag!

I am SO enjoying reading about everyone's various purchases as I check out all the possibilities out there:biggrin: besides a B or K.

I'm at the point in my life where I'd love to be able to indulge a little & a H-bag purchase seems just the right idea!

So happy to hear everyone loves their LINDYs!

34 for carrying more things, like with an ipad.
Great as a daily bag!:smile:

Thanks, yellowpolkadot! That's exactly what I'm looking for, a GREAT daily bag rather than one that will be sitting in its dustbag waiting for a special occasion. I like the slouchiness of it, & the way it looks hand-held:smile:

I hate to admit it, but I'm enjoying the hunt for my LINDY as it's not as far-fetched as trying to score a B or K (more like an attainable GOAL! Lol)

Hi Jamberry! I just purchased a 34 in black clemence about a week ago after literally thinking about it for at least two years. All I can say is that I wish I hadn't waited so long! I fully confess that I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase with this bag, but I think I might be in love!! I was debating between a bolide and a lindy and I have to say, for this time in life I am glad I chose the Lindy! I find it to be very versatile; both the handheld and shoulder carry options are very comfortable. (I tend to favor the flatter shoulder straps; I also love my pico and massai cut bags.)

I was also very lucky to be able to compare the 30 and 34 sizes, as both were in stock that day. I chose the 34, because it was in black, but I still had doubts about it until I started carrying it. It holds all my daily items with room for the additional DD items, without looking over stuffed. Now I'm already thinking about other colors!

HTH and good luck....the search is half the fun!

Hi Jamberry! I just purchased a 34 in black clemence about a week ago after literally thinking about it for at least two years. All I can say is that I wish I hadn't waited so long! I fully confess that I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase with this bag, but I think I might be in love!! I was debating between a bolide and a lindy and I have to say, for this time in life I am glad I chose the Lindy! I find it to be very versatile; both the handheld and shoulder carry options are very comfortable. (I tend to favor the flatter shoulder straps; I also love my pico and massai cut bags.)

I was also very lucky to be able to compare the 30 and 34 sizes, as both were in stock that day. I chose the 34, because it was in black, but I still had doubts about it until I started carrying it. It holds all my daily items with room for the additional DD items, without looking over stuffed. Now I'm already thinking about other colors!

HTH and good luck....the search is half the fun!

Hi, hgbag! Congrats on your new black LINDY! Thanks so much for sharing your :heart: of this bag; I'm glad you are enjoying it:smile: I really liked the black bag, too, but since I have so many blacks, I thought I would try another beautiful Hermes color. After hearing so many positive reviews about this bag, I feel a lot more comfortable in my upcoming purchase! I love to hear how VERSATILE the Lindy is & it's comforting to know I would likely be using the bag often as it's a big investment (for me, at least).

ENJOY your beautiful new bag!!