advice needed for a missing package

tinyturtle

O.G.
Dec 5, 2010
hi everyone, this isn't regarding a chanel purchase but it is about another handbag and there's a lesson here we could all learn. i learned the hard way. plus i don't really post on other forums, and i feel like this is my home.

2 weeks ago i purchased a Miu Miu wristlet from the Prada outlet. upon inspecting it at home i noticed a loose seam so i called the manager and he said i could send it back for a replacement. i sent it back using USPS delivery confirmation...but i failed to get a signature confirmation....i think you know where this is going...

fast forward. i have been waiting to receive my replacement and i called the manager for an update. he never received the wristlet back. the only thing positive i can see about this situation is that the purchase was just a little over a hundred dollars. still a loss but not as devastating as losing a Chanel.

the next part is where i need help. i went to my postmaster and he was able to print up a detailed tracking of the package. the package states that it was delivered to the address at Cabazon outlet on September 3rd. however, Prada surveillance cameras show that no post officer entered the store on September 3rd. additionally, the manager informed me that the Prada mailbox only accommodates envelopes. it is too small to hold a package. so in order for the package to be delivered, the post officer would have had to deliver it in person to the Prada store. i'm thinking i have a case against USPS except for the fact that their electronic data does state that the item was delivered. my post master informed me that if i filed a case with them, they will likely side against me. is there any recourse for me at this point or should i just accept the loss?

Oh no tiny turtle! Did you insure the package?

One thing that isn't clear is how prada receives deliveries. Is there a delivery area where they recieve packages?

I don't think you have a case open and shut case with usps. The presumption is that your pkg was delivered to Prada. Have you seen the surveillance video with your own eyes? I wonder how well the prada team reviewed video footage, it really isn't in their interest...there isn't much motivating them.

What does the manager of P suggest? Is he helpful or dismissive?

Definitely a tough situation; if you had insured the package, then you definitely would've gotten some money back from USPS. But sometimes in these instances it can be tricky...you sent the tracking, and the package was delivered. I feel like this should be resolved between the store and USPS.

Please let us know what happens.

Sorry you had to deal with this!

You definitely shouldn't accept the loss. Could it have been delivered to another outlet store next to Prada? There could be a possibility that the postman/woman did deliver the package, but he/she might have left it outside the store without anyone from Prada acknowledging the delivery?

Also, did you get to see the surveillance footage? What if the packages are delivered to a backdoor entrance or something?

Lastly, if all else fails with either USPS and/or Prada, try filing a dispute on this transaction with your credit card company. With Capital One, they allow you to dispute transactions made on your CC and I believe they hold the charge and you aren't liable to pay for it yet until the case is resolved. I imagine it would be the same with most companies.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Sorry you had to deal with this!

You definitely shouldn't accept the loss. Could it have been delivered to another outlet store next to Prada? There could be a possibility that the postman/woman did deliver the package, but he/she might have left it outside the store without anyone from Prada acknowledging the delivery?

Also, did you get to see the surveillance footage? What if the packages are delivered to a backdoor entrance or something?

Lastly, if all else fails with either USPS and/or Prada, try filing a dispute on this transaction with your credit card company. With Capital One, they allow you to dispute transactions made on your CC and I believe they hold the charge and you aren't liable to pay for it yet until the case is resolved. I imagine it would be the same with most companies.

Hope this helps. :smile:

+1 I agree, if all else fails, definitely call you CC company. A similar thing happened to me (UPS claimed it delivered something once, but according to the footage it was not) and my CC company refunded me.

Oh! I am so sorry to hear this, Tinyturtle!

I somehow feel this is a mail fraud. Anyone signed for the package?

You should have been caught in between! I'd contact both Prada and USPS and file cases with both of them. If the package was said to be delivered, then this should be between Prada and USPS!

Sorry this happened to you.

The credit card protection option seems a hopeful suggestion.

If that fails, & you're in US, there are 2 more choices.
Both require reporting package stolen, to obtain police report with $ value.
As no one can locate package or prove delivery, theft seems reasonable conclusion.

Then, either:
1) deduct theft $ amount from year's taxes, with appropriate documentation
OR
2) file homeowner's insurance claim for $ amount, as personal property sent for repairs & stolen

1 of these options, at least, recovers your money.
Hope this helps.