Travel Advice needed - complete Mexico novice

shiny_things

Jan 9, 2013
We really wanted to go to the Carribean next year, namely St. Lucia, but it is just not in our price range. I've never really fancied Mexico, but I've heard a lot of good things recently. I looked up some prices and it was a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

Airfare from the UK pretty much rules out the top level hotels, but we don't want to go to a dump either. We are also limited on destinations from the UK, Cabo is out of the question. Cancun, Playacar, Riviera Maya and Puerto Vallarta are the only real places you can get to easily.

We are absolutely not fans of Cancun. We are looking for somewhere quieter with beautiful beaches (I am a qualified scuba diver, so good diving is a must), with a few other things to do such as golf, sightseeing and getting into nature etc. We want to avoid any types of places with the 'spring break' crowd or noisy families with bad behaviour. Just a lovely place to chill out, so preferably adults only.

We'd ideally like All Inclusive to keep costs down.

From those things, I think Riviera Maya might be the most suitable? I was looking at this sort of hotel: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...ablo_Collection-Akumal_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Is this the sort of thing I'm after?

I am really clueless about Mexico, so would love to hear your suggestions and any recommendations. Or do you think Mexico is a no no and why? Did you like it?

Our requirements are as above plus;

Budget of about £1500 ($2500) per person at the very top end.
11 - 14 nights.
Adults only hotels.
Minimum of 4 star hotel.

Thank you:tup:

The Riviera Maya is beautiful, it's still touristy in parts but not as wild as Cancun. It's close enough to everything, the mayan ruins, Tulum, Xel-ha, Xcaret, cenotes, etc but far enough away from Cancun that it's peaceful and because it's the Caribbean sea the beaches are amazing.

That hotel looks gorgeous. Have you looked at the Catalonia Royal Tulum? It's adults only and on a beautiful private beach, we stayed there a few years ago. Excellence and Secrets also do amazing adult only resorts.

We actually booked the one I linked to today. We did look at the Royal Tulum. Although it does have a more beautiful beach, the food reviews aren't as good and we didn't get as much included in the All Inclusive, so that's what swung it for us.

Exactly one year today until we go.