Workplace Advice getting into "big tech" companies

yy0015

@y'alls!
O.G.
Jul 10, 2008
I'm in the process of looking for a new role, and I'm finding the process to get hired at big tech companies (e.g., Google, Facebook, etc) to be impossible. I have a solid work experience, good credentials, and am personable. I'm running into all sorts of frustrations, so I'd love to hear another story on their transition into tech. I need a little inspiration to keep up with this exhausting process.

To name a few frustrations I've run into:
- Hiring manager is obsessed with candidate having a specific background (i.e., must have be expert in y industry as well as x years in software user experience) instead of looking at transferable experiences/skills in my background. Hiring manager typically has point of view of "I'm so busy that I just need to hire someone who will hit the ground running."
- Robots: Hiring managers could care less about your previous background, your potential, your work ethic, etc. These interviewers usually don't even ask you to introduce themselves. After the initial "hello," they immediately jump into their list of case study questions as quickly as possible.
- Hiring managers will make you do anything and everything under the sun. In one of my on-site interviews, I was given a laptop and ask to build a model as well as a few slides presenting my solution in 1 hour. This was a complete surprise to me, since the recruiter only told me that I would only be given a case question then a simple Excel test by separate interviewers.

You often need to be networked in to get positions. I've seen positions here get filled before they get posted so many times it's maddening. Do you have any contacts in your field or at these companies, via school alumni or previous jobs? It would help if someone could put your name out there for you, so even though the interview is the same for everyone the HR department/hiring manager has a heads up on you. And perhaps just be more prepared... now that you know they could surprise you with a request for more, have a few presentations ready b/c that could potentially happen again. I've been caught very off-guard with presentation requests as well and it's incredibly embarrassing when it goes awry :oh:

Reactions: taho
You often need to be networked in to get positions. I've seen positions here get filled before they get posted so many times it's maddening. Do you have any contacts in your field or at these companies, via school alumni or previous jobs? It would help if someone could put your name out there for you, so even though the interview is the same for everyone the HR department/hiring manager has a heads up on you. And perhaps just be more prepared... now that you know they could surprise you with a request for more, have a few presentations ready b/c that could potentially happen again. I've been caught very off-guard with presentation requests as well and it's incredibly embarrassing when it goes awry :oh:

Thanks for your tips! I've always applied through a referral, which lands me an interview. Unfortunately, after this step, the referral no longer seems to help with the process.

As for preparation, I always try my best. I've tried everything from building a deck to reading all the current events pertaining to the company/product... even taking extra online Coursera classes. My original point stands - I could study everything under the sun, and I could be asked something random in an interview. It's never going to be enough.

Thanks for your tips! I've always applied through a referral, which lands me an interview. Unfortunately, after this step, the referral no longer seems to help with the process.

As for preparation, I always try my best. I've tried everything from building a deck to reading all the current events pertaining to the company/product... even taking extra online Coursera classes. My original point stands - I could study everything under the sun, and I could be asked something random in an interview. It's never going to be enough.
There are a lot of forums out there where interview questions are posted by candidates who already interviewed at companies. I was able to see all of the questions online beforehand for one company I interviewed at. People post them to help others in need. Maybe do some searching and it'll dig them up. I'm a pirate though, so maybe I'm venturing too underground to see this stuff :smile:

There are a lot of forums out there where interview questions are posted by candidates who already interviewed at companies. I was able to see all of the questions online beforehand for one company I interviewed at. People post them to help others in need. Maybe do some searching and it'll dig them up. I'm a pirate though, so maybe I'm venturing too underground to see this stuff :smile:

Wow! Sounds like you're a sleuthing prowess! Other than glassdoor and occasionally WSO, I'm usually too successful in digging up the actual interview questions. I'd love to learn some of your sources! :flowers:

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
Wow! Sounds like you're a sleuthing prowess! Other than glassdoor and occasionally WSO, I'm usually too successful in digging up the actual interview questions. I'd love to learn some of your sources! :flowers:
They are not all in a single place, it's more about finding message boards and etc. specific to your industry. Glassdoor can definitely bring a few up. I think I originally did Google searches for "interview questions at XX company" and just started going through tons of links and message boards and forums. There are entire sites devoted just to posting the questions, so it's just researching around, really. A few years ago I got an entire openoffice Excel document that people were contributing to. It was a goldmine, and you could see from company to company the questions were nearly identical. I found company questions several times through this process... it helps immensely to just not look completely lost and stupid, lol. The larger the company the greater the chance you'll dig up their questions, so you know Google/Facebook/Yahoo questions are out there for certain.. use those IT skills to find them, right? :amuse:

Reactions: leechiyong
I'm not in IT... :sad: But I'm definitely going to look around, especially for this Excel file jackpot! Thanks @
They are not all in a single place, it's more about finding message boards and etc. specific to your industry. Glassdoor can definitely bring a few up. I think I originally did Google searches for "interview questions at XX company" and just started going through tons of links and message boards and forums. There are entire sites devoted just to posting the questions, so it's just researching around, really. A few years ago I got an entire openoffice Excel document that people were contributing to. It was a goldmine, and you could see from company to company the questions were nearly identical. I found company questions several times through this process... it helps immensely to just not look completely lost and stupid, lol. The larger the company the greater the chance you'll dig up their questions, so you know Google/Facebook/Yahoo questions are out there for certain.. use those IT skills to find them, right? :amuse:

I'm not in IT... Also, the roles I'm going for are broad in function but focused within a vertical, so the interview questions *specific to the role* (not the company) are not found on the internet. :sad:

But I'm definitely going to look for this Excel file jackpot! Thanks @ccbaggirl89 !

How about back to the basics? Do you have a strong resume which clearly shows your ability to move into tech? What does your LinkedIn profile look like? Do you have certifications that are desirable for the job?

Is there someone at the company you can reach out to and find out exactly what they are looking for? I know that sometimes hiring managers have a very specific candidate profile in mind, and even if you have every single other thing they are looking for, you won't be considered. Usually finding an inside source is your best bet to getting yourself in!

those big tech companies are extremely competitive...even for those regular tech companies, they would give you an assignment over the weekend to solve. my sis works in the tech industry and it's a common practice.
i don't have any advice but want to let you know what you went through is quite typical. hang in there...((Hugs))

It seems glorious at first to be employed at one of the big tech companies, but at the end of the day, you need to be ready to work your ass off 24/7. Trust me, they don't pay highly competitive salaries while expecting you to just work the typical "9 to 5." I just moved back to SoCal from living in the bay area for 5 years. Currently employed at a big firm but have had interviewed with one of the big tech companies and have many friends who used to/currently were/are employed by them. The entire interview process took over 8 months - literally. Huge waste of my time, but the main reason why I was even considered for the role initially was through networking/referral, otherwise not sure I would've been considered at all. Unless you're in engineering/IT, which I'm technically not, it seems much harder to get into those big tech companies if you're looking for a non-IT role unless you're referred. I did however receive a job offer at the end, but I decided to decline. Now that I'm in my 30s I value having a healthy work/life balance, whereas I think for those in their 20s, they might not mind going into work on the weekends (I'm generalizing). Just not my cup of tea anymore, but good luck to you!

My original point stands - I could study everything under the sun, and I could be asked something random in an interview. It's never going to be enough.

Imho, for what it’s worth.

It’s not about what your skills are. I mean it is...but everyone can learn those skills and a bunch of them can be considered experts.

It’s the thought process. Ability to hit the ground running should be a flag (it is to me) that they want people who are able to stretch outside what the lines are now...does it make sense? You’re not looking to repeat processes. You’re looking to use those processes and take leaps with it. It sounds so simple, think outside of the box and be creative..but it’s actually a lot harder to do, and to do it in a way that’s relevant to what’s being worked on and what’s going to be worked on.

You’d have to have knowledge (the skills you’ve worked on and built up) but you also have to have the...thought process? I guess that’s the best way I can articulate it. My old boss who was actually one of the first employees for living social (and best friends with the founder) back when it was relevant..when he spun off his own company he would make up these crazy questions to ask during the interview. He wanted to go around another way to figuring out if the people who were interviewing for the job was competent enough. I know that sounds silly...but there you go.

It seems glorious at first to be employed at one of the big tech companies, but at the end of the day, you need to be ready to work your ass off 24/7. Trust me, they don't pay highly competitive salaries while expecting you to just work the typical "9 to 5." I just moved back to SoCal from living in the bay area for 5 years. Currently employed at a big firm but have had interviewed with one of the big tech companies and have many friends who used to/currently were/are employed by them. The entire interview process took over 8 months - literally. Huge waste of my time, but the main reason why I was even considered for the role initially was through networking/referral, otherwise not sure I would've been considered at all. Unless you're in engineering/IT, which I'm technically not, it seems much harder to get into those big tech companies if you're looking for a non-IT role unless you're referred. I did however receive a job offer at the end, but I decided to decline. Now that I'm in my 30s I value having a healthy work/life balance, whereas I think for those in their 20s, they might not mind going into work on the weekends (I'm generalizing). Just not my cup of tea anymore, but good luck to you!
I don’t know. One of the google project managers I worked with always looked happy as a clam. Him and his wife were able to meet me during the week as well as weekends during business hours. He made base of $175k (this was about four years ago though) and a bunch more in stock options. When the project was over google gave him a choice of following/shadowing any department for six months paid while deciding what he wanted to do next. He played around a bit if you get my drift and then he ended up taking a position that landed him back in the country where he’s from and his wife is happy as they have family over there and her family’s biz is there (for her to eventually take over).

Just another perspective.

^^
i think the person you referred to was in a high management position?...the OP was trying to get in the field.
no matter what kind of vision or process you are referring to, the worker bees are the real deal to make it happen.

Yes, he is a bit higher in the food chain being a project manager.

Worker bees make things happen. No doubt. But if you want to work for those tech companies you need to be able to stand out in a crowd of millions.

If they’re willing to fly university students to be interns, in from outside of US, as recruits for when they graduate, because of their minds and the way they “process” things and their “vision” you can bet your last dollar it’s highly competitive in more then a physical can do attitude and what’s on the resume but more of a mental thought process capability.