Advice for in person sale of shoes...

Apr 29, 2008
I'm meeting a buyer to sell a pair of NIB Guiseppe Zanotti flats. When you meet a buyer, do you also make them sign something, in addition to accepting cash? I guess it wouldn't necessarily hold up anyway. Also, should I let her try them on, or just inspect them? I usually don't accept returns for size, change of mind, etc. She did a buy it now, so technically committed, right? What to do!?!?!?

I would tell her to bring stockings if she wants to try the shoes on.
No need to sign anything if you're dong a cash transaction.
Meet her in a public place.
You could ask her to do a mutual withdrawal so that you can get your FVFs back.

I would tell her to bring stockings if she wants to try the shoes on.
No need to sign anything if you're dong a cash transaction.
Meet her in a public place.
You could ask her to do a mutual withdrawal so that you can get your FVFs back.

We're meeting at a Whole Foods cafe in NYC around lunch time. LOTS of people around. Good idea about the stockings. I'll send her a confirmation in the morning reminding her to bring cash, and mention that.

There won't be at Whole Foods. I didn't even think that she could scratch the bottoms. She could even stretch them. I don't think it's unreasonable to politely say that she can look at them to verify condition and authenticity, but not try them on.

I would just let her try them on. If she's there and the shoes are there I would avoid a lot of hassle and let her do at least that much. If she finds they don't fit well after she's paid and you've left she could try to open a dispute on e bay, leave you a negative, refuse to withdraw the transaction and a whole list of things.

Should I tell her to bring a pair of stockings? I'm going down around lunchtime tomorrow, so don't know if I could find a friend who can go at 1PM on a Tuesday. There will be tons of people lunching at Whole Foods at that time, and I know there's lots of security in the store and surrounding Union Sq area. What could she do?

I know people who have met their spouses on-line, so an ebay buyer is nothing. As long as it's during the day, in a well populated area... and most stores have more security than shoppers realize. There are undercover security, and cameras EVERYWHERE.

That's so true. Just never meet in a parking lot or something like that but inside a store full of people will be fine. If they aren't agreeable to that you can tell them to complete the transaction via PP.

I'm not trying to freak you out (honestly) but you have no idea how many people just vanish in the midst of a huge crowd. I'd be more concerned that the person coming isn't really a woman - although I believe eBay is much more safe than Craigslist you really don't know who someone is until they show up. I'm sure everything will go fine - I hope she likes the shoes. :smile:

It sounds okay. If you have any doubts when you actually meet, ask the person to give you the money and then she gets to try the shoes. That way, if she walks away, you're protected. Unlike in Nordstroms, an Ebay purchase is supposed to be: pay and then get the goods, so it's fair to ask for it to go that way in person, too.

But if I had a good feeling about the buyer (i.e., not a loon), I'd probably just let her try them, then pay. :smile: