Advice: first Chanel bag

Phiomega

O.G.
Aug 19, 2012
I am keen to buy my first Chanel bag --- I have a classic black caviar WOC but have been thinking about getting a bag. Today accidentally I saw this one:
IMG_1492012449.234308.jpg

I am loving it because it is light, functional (small tote, can be shoulder carry), and have the Chanel signature without being over the top. Note that I have a small kid and most of my usage is for work (professional setup) and weekends with family, and I generally don't go partying in fancy places. I use my premier designer bags at work.

What would be your advice for this one as my first Chanel? It is not a classic but I also think I won't get much use of the classic given my lifestyle.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Thats one pretty bag! Have you see it in person & tried it on? How do you feel wearing it? If you like it, why not?:flowers: First chanel bag is not necessarily be the classic flap. It must be something you love & functional for what you plan to use it for. I would go to the boutiques & see what they have to offer.

This is gorgeous irl! Its like the gst but not as cumbersome as it. You can go YouTube for a video on this specific bag. Her channel is chanellv. Do go to the boutique to try it on as pictures does depict how the actual item looks like in real life. I would get the bag that suits me most whether it is a classic or not. Some seasonal pieces are even more stunning than the classics. Personally , I feel the classic flap in black gives off a very dated look.

Thats one pretty bag! Have you see it in person & tried it on? How do you feel wearing it? If you like it, why not?:flowers: First chanel bag is not necessarily be the classic flap. It must be something you love & functional for what you plan to use it for. I would go to the boutiques & see what they have to offer.

This is gorgeous irl! Its like the gst but not as cumbersome as it. You can go YouTube for a video on this specific bag. Her channel is chanellv. Do go to the boutique to try it on as pictures does depict how the actual item looks like in real life. I would get the bag that suits me most whether it is a classic or not. Some seasonal pieces are even more stunning than the classics. Personally , I feel the classic flap in black gives off a very dated look.

Thank you!

I was at the boutique yesterday... that's actually how I found this! It is really nice irl --- the chain sits nicely on the shoulder, the size is perfect (not too big, not too small), and it is very light!

Good point that first Chanel does not have to be classic and it should be something just functional, something I love for years to come. I love everything about this bag except just one small thing --- the tote handle stuck a little bit when it is shoulder carry. But I do like the tote handle option and it looks cute being carried that way.

This will definitely be functional for me. Now come justifying the price of the investment. I have bought three purses this year --- 2BV and one Chanel WOC... originally planning to buy Chanel 2nd half of the year....

I think if this suits you and you like it go for it! If the resell value matters to you, you most likely won't get you're money back. I have learned recently to always go for function over shelf decorations!

Reactions: Sparkletastic
I think if this suits you and you like it go for it! If the resell value matters to you, you most likely won't get you're money back. I have learned recently to always go for function over shelf decorations!

Thanks... this is another assurance to get what works for me, and not with what others tell you too... good reminder for resale value, but that is a consequence if I really follow what works for me...

Am out for Easter break, if I come back on Monday and it is still there, I may take it as a sign that it should be mine... [emoji12]

Reactions: Mariapia
Thanks... this is another assurance to get what works for me, and not with what others tell you too... good reminder for resale value, but that is a consequence if I really follow what works for me...

Am out for Easter break, if I come back on Monday and it is still there, I may take it as a sign that it should be mine... [emoji12]
I am the same way went it comes to bag purchases. What will be will be! Have fun on your break!

Reactions: Mariapia
My first Chanel is a black classic jumbo in SHW which is also my work bag. The jumbo size fits more than you think! For my bag I am able to fit in an iPad / iPad mini and A5 notebook, as well as my other essentials such as keys, phone, make up pouch and wallets.

I think having a tote bag as a work bag is appropriate if you would like to fit any a4 size item or laptop; as well as carrying other irregular shaped sizes (such as foldable flats / lunch box). One consideration when allowing myself to have a lot of room for stuffing many things in is that I tend to over pack my bag and makes it extremely heavy on my shoulder (which over time develops into shoulder problems) so I have given up the tote life, downsize and be the fan of the classic ever since for a work bag :smile:

Reactions: Phiomega
I just got this tote and love it! I got the 30cm and it's perfect not to big nor small. It's a more functional bag IMO I think its a great choice and the price it's crazy.

I just got this tote and love it! I got the 30cm and it's perfect not to big nor small. It's a more functional bag IMO I think its a great choice and the price it's crazy.

Yes I saw and was thinking "somebody got my bag!"[emoji4]

You convinced me on the functionality... let's see if I pull the trigger within next few days...

Reactions: liz_
Yesterday I went to the boutique TWICE.

First during lunch time --- and I found out that they have it! The SA thought that the navy blue is sold out but then he searched and found one last one. I tried both navy blue and black as liz shoes how nice the black one is. But my heart is with the navy. Then I tried the bag loaded with everything I brought on a work day, and it fits! I like the two slip pocket inside with the quilted leather also; I can easily slip my iPhone there.

But I Left the store without purchasing because this is a commitment --- as you all mention, I must really love this and not care about resale price, plus this will be my first Chanel.

Had a number of meetings in the afternoon, and by end of day decided that --- if I have been contemplating about it for almost 10 days and it still haunts me, then I should really get it. So I went back to the shop --- tried for one last time and pull the trigger.... so here it is my first Chanel...

IMG_1492864998.377374.jpg

With the chain...

IMG_1492865389.541720.jpg

I am very happy with it and I am sure the function really fits my lifestyle ... already carried it for a charity event today --- it even fits a water bottle!

Thank you all for the inputs and wise advice!

Yesterday I went to the boutique TWICE.

First during lunch time --- and I found out that they have it! The SA thought that the navy blue is sold out but then he searched and found one last one. I tried both navy blue and black as liz shoes how nice the black one is. But my heart is with the navy. Then I tried the bag loaded with everything I brought on a work day, and it fits! I like the two slip pocket inside with the quilted leather also; I can easily slip my iPhone there.

But I Left the store without purchasing because this is a commitment --- as you all mention, I must really love this and not care about resale price, plus this will be my first Chanel.

Had a number of meetings in the afternoon, and by end of day decided that --- if I have been contemplating about it for almost 10 days and it still haunts me, then I should really get it. So I went back to the shop --- tried for one last time and pull the trigger.... so here it is my first Chanel...

View attachment 3675092

With the chain...

View attachment 3675093

I am very happy with it and I am sure the function really fits my lifestyle ... already carried it for a charity event today --- it even fits a water bottle!

Thank you all for the inputs and wise advice!

Nice! Enjoy it., as for resale value I've sold "classic" bags and loss money on them, All bags you will lose money on with the exception of a Hermes B,K,C if you purchased at store or got a great deal resale and it also depends on the color and leather.