Advice Appreciated: I'm a little upset with my new Copernic Wallet

skye1989

May 30, 2014
Hey TPFers,

I recently bought my first Hermes wallet (I'm a guy), and well... I don't know about you guys but I'm I guess you could say that I'm fussy about details. I love and buy hermes (even though I can't quite afford it comfortably as yet) because of their attention to detail (saddle stitching, colour, leather etc).

You can imagine my dismay when I noticed that my Etoupe Epsom Copernic wallet sported TWO different kinds of stitching (see pictures below). If you notice, on one side, the wallet is stitched somewhat horizontally (seems machine stitched) with a relatively thin thread, but on the other side, its stitching is clearly diagonal (prolly hand-stitched here) with a slightly thicker thread.

Is this normal? I bought this wallet from the H boutique in Amsterdam for about 900 euros and honestly, that's a lot of money for something that hasn't been stitched properly, if you ask me :nogood:

I would like to tell Hermes about this but I can't seem to find any feedback channel. As for my local boutiques, I'm not nearly VIP enough to just waltz in unannounced and criticise their products.

Please help, I don't know what to do :shame:

Sincerely,
Skye

PS: I hope i don't come across as paranoid. 900 euros is a big deal for me and I just want my wallet to be perfect :biggrin:

Attachments

• Straight_horizontal_Stitching.jpg
    Straight_horizontal_Stitching.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Diagonal stitching.jpg
    Diagonal stitching.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 1,070
Last edited:
I'm pretty picky but wouldn't have noticed that!! To me the difference is very small and makes the item unique. I definitely don't think "it hasn't been stitched properly" :shrugs:

Honestly, I can't see any difference between the stitching in the two photos you posted. They both look slated stitching to me. You should enjoy your wallet.

I am enjoying it definitely, but the stitching gets to me. It's a little hard to see at first glance but the stitches on one side are definitely thicker/fatter than the other side. ;)

I'm pretty picky but wouldn't have noticed that!! To me the difference is very small and makes the item unique. I definitely don't think "it hasn't been stitched properly" :shrugs:

I'm glad you noticed the difference! Yeah I know i've been trying to convince myself that it's not that bad? But that said, it's my first Hermes wallet (and prolly my last one in a while) so I'm just a little upset that it's not quite perfect in terms of stitching. :smile:

Do you think Hermes will accept such feedback?

I'm glad you noticed the difference! Yeah I know i've been trying to convince myself that it's not that bad? But that said, it's my first Hermes wallet (and prolly my last one in a while) so I'm just a little upset that it's not quite perfect in terms of stitching. :smile:

Do you think Hermes will accept such feedback?

It's a hand-stitched product, and it looks beautiful to me!

"Perfect" may not be the same to you as it is to Hermes, you know? ;)

I can see a slight difference. But the bottom picture is blurry so that might be making the stitches appear even "fatter" than they are. Do you have a clearer pic of this, and possibly a shot of the wallet from farther out? I don't think that I have ever gone over my items this precisely, but I am sure that if I did I might find similar issues (speaking of all of the luxury brands that I own), personally I wouldn't consider it a defect. But, if you do, then I think looking at another wallet in this same style to confirm if this is common might be an option for you.

Hi Skye

Please be assured, there is NOTHING wrong with your wallet! :smile:

Most of us who own a Kelly in one of the most popular/regular leathers will be aware that the stitching on a particular section of many Kellys seems "fatter" in some areas than others and may appear "irregular". I don't want to get into more details because in this forum they discourage members from being too specific about these kinds of details as it helps counterfeiters improve their products. When I asked about the Kelly stitching, the H Paris artisan explained this was done on purpose for reasons he obviously did not disclose lol.

But rest assured, your wallet is exactly as it's meant to be. I'm pretty sure there has been no mistake.

My DH's Euclide wallet has more horizontal stitching in certain places although it is clearly all hand-stitched. Generally on the inside of the wallet/card case they will use thinner thread/flatter stitching so the piece stays flat when closed. However, it's Barenia and they may handle Epsom differently.
If your question about the stitching is really bugging you, call the boutique and/or take it in. I do agree that 900 Euros is enough to ask a question about how something is made.

I think if it really bothers you, you should call the boutique and raise your concern. Personally I think the stitching looks fine, yes it's not exactly the same, but if it's hand stitched you expect to see some irregularities right?

its hand stitched.....Hermes products are unique thus i love it even if its not even...u can look for other makers if you want...

I do understand that it is hand-stitched --- the issue I have here is that 2 different types of threads are used, one thinner/slimmer than the other, and the difference is clearly visible. The slimmer one also appears to be machine stitched (some parts of the Birkin are also, I have heard)

My DH's Euclide wallet has more horizontal stitching in certain places although it is clearly all hand-stitched. Generally on the inside of the wallet/card case they will use thinner thread/flatter stitching so the piece stays flat when closed. However, it's Barenia and they may handle Epsom differently.
If your question about the stitching is really bugging you, call the boutique and/or take it in. I do agree that 900 Euros is enough to ask a question about how something is made.

That's great advice! :biggrin: I'm glad to know that your DH's wallet has irregular threads and stitching too haha

I do understand that it is hand-stitched --- the issue I have here is that 2 different types of threads are used, one thinner/slimmer than the other, and the difference is clearly visible. The slimmer one also appears to be machine stitched (some parts of the Birkin are also, I have heard)
I've never heard hermes does half machine stitch and half hand stitch.....obviously not...you've got to be kidding,go to the boutique and you will be laugh at...LOL...we're hermes fans and we know about their stitching ...