Adopting Retired Thoroughbred Racehorses... watch this video!

Jan 14, 2008
Okay so I'm not sure if this is allowed, so if it isn't just let me know!!

I did this as a project for school (I'm a broadcasting major and I graduate college in December this year). We had to do an 8-minute mini documentary about our topic of choice... I chose to do it about rescuing Thoroughbreds and adopting them after they have retired from being a professional racehorse (instead of being slaughtered, neglected, abused, etc). It's airing on local cable in my area (Northern New Jersey), but I also uploaded it on youtube for everyone to see.

Most of all, I really just want to get the word out about this. Many people don't know how something like this works, and if anyone is thinking of getting a new horse, this is a great alternative. ReRun Inc, the racehorse rescue group in the video is located in different places across the country, not just in New Jersey. These horses are amazing animals with so much love to give a new owner, and me and my family have adopted two so far (as you'll see in the video when we interviewed my little sister!).. If just one ex-racehorse was adopted from watching this video, all the work I put into it would be worth it!!

By the way, I'm Lauren (who introduces the piece in the studio), I'm terrible at on-air talent, but please be nice, lol :sweatdrop:

Anyway, here's the video. Please forward the video onto anyone else that you think would be interested in seeing it :smile:
(click on "watch in high quality" when you watch it, otherwise the quality is terrible)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdOTTSU_Q0U

thank you everyone!!

Jan 14, 2008
by the way, i just wanted everyone to know that i am NOT against horse racing at all... most of the horses that race are treated very well during the period when they race. it's just what happens to them AFTERWARDS which is sometimes very tragic.

Apr 16, 2007
by the way, i just wanted everyone to know that i am NOT against horse racing at all... most of the horses that race are treated very well during the period when they race. it's just what happens to them AFTERWARDS which is sometimes very tragic.

That's the problem in my mind, though. They're always treated well while they're making money, but discarded when no longer valuable. It's shameful what happens to some of them.

Either way, it's great to see that you're doing something so wonderful and rewarding, I wish you the best of luck with your two companions.

Jan 14, 2008
That's the problem in my mind, though. They're always treated well while they're making money, but discarded when no longer valuable. It's shameful what happens to some of them.

Either way, it's great to see that you're doing something so wonderful and rewarding, I wish you the best of luck with your two companions.

i completely agree... i just didn't want to offend anyone in the forum. i don't want to say whether i support horse racing or not, but let people draw their own conclusions from it. the owners of these horses see them as disposable, and i want to show people that there are people who are trying to change this :smile: and thank you for the comment, i'm glad you enjoyed the video.

nataliam1976

Nov 14, 2006
A great video, lauren. I hope many people will see that and it will raise awareness and hopefully convince some to adopt a retired thoroughbred. I didnt take part in the racing discussion, but it annoys me how some members dismiss all the bad sides of it and focus on positives. I personally wouldnt be able to find something that leads to so many issues (inbreeding, racing horses that are absolutely too young, disposing of them after they cant race any more, maltreating them - the woman in your movie says herself her place is like rehab for badly treated horses, the other one how the horse she adopted had been treated as an object), beautiful.

thanks for posting that.

Last edited:

skyqueen

O.G.
Aug 5, 2007
Thanks for posting and bringing this to everyone's attention...about time. With a little rehab these horses make wonderful companions. Also can make a wonderful companion horse to a single horse.

wordbox

so in love!
O.G.
Feb 26, 2007
There are definitely a lot of things about the horse racing industry that I wish I would change, but that's neither here nor there. There are also a lot of great people involved with these horses.

One of our horses was an exracer. They take a lot of work and training, since regular riding and horse life is very different than the life they are used to at the track, but they really are cool horses. Our mare was such a sass, but it was funny. We had her for about 8 years, and I showed her and jumped and stuff. She was so bold about some things, like jumping (she'd jump over anything and everything, loved it), but then would be a total wuss about other things (oh no! a horse trailer). Ours is now retired (again, haha) with a family friend. Now she lives with another mare and a mule, and is very spoiled.

kristie

"H" is for horses?
O.G.
Oct 10, 2006
OMG, you did a GREAT job! Thank you so much for putting this out there. I have had three off track Thoroughbreds and it was the most rewarding experience ever. I currently own a just turned 2 Thoroughbred that I got as a yearling and am training him strictly on groundwork and when he is 3 I am going to begin his riding training to be my future Hunter.

Just on a side note and not to be Debbie Downer AT ALL but I just wanted to let people know that adopting an ex racer if you are not a VERY VERY experienced horse person is a recipe for disaster. They can be extremely dangerous in the hands of a novice. They also have to "detox" and be brought down VERY slowly from their track life and supplements, feed, etc. or it can kill them if done too quickly. Also, like the one girl on the video said it takes thousands upon thousands of hours to retrain them.

If you want to help the cause but don't have the ability to adopt one, you can always sponsor a horse and send money to help out the horse but not actually "own" it KWIM?? I think your video mentioned something about that too :yes:

THANK YOU AGAIN for posting this :flowers:

mcmahan706

O.G.
Nov 5, 2006
I was in Washington DC a few years ago and saw a Mounted Park Officer. We began talking, and as it turns out, the horse was a retired racehorse. The officer was training him for 3 day eventing as well. (That's what started the conversation- a beautiful canter across an open field.)

he432

sofa king awesome
O.G.
Feb 15, 2008
I was in Washington DC a few years ago and saw a Mounted Park Officer. We began talking, and as it turns out, the horse was a retired racehorse. The officer was training him for 3 day eventing as well. (That's what started the conversation- a beautiful canter across an open field.)

It's crazy how horse people (pet people!) just have this instant bond and can talk for hours about their kiddies!

hmwe46

why bother
O.G.
Jun 27, 2006
Great advice! :tup:

Great tip on sponsoring too :yes: A lot less responsibility and commitment with tons of reward :heart:

Just on a side note and not to be Debbie Downer AT ALL but I just wanted to let people know that adopting an ex racer if you are not a VERY VERY experienced horse person is a recipe for disaster. They can be extremely dangerous in the hands of a novice. They also have to "detox" and be brought down VERY slowly from their track life and supplements, feed, etc. or it can kill them if done too quickly. Also, like the one girl on the video said it takes thousands upon thousands of hours to retrain them.

If you want to help the cause but don't have the ability to adopt one, you can always sponsor a horse and send money to help out the horse but not actually "own" it KWIM?? I think your video mentioned something about that too :yes:

THANK YOU AGAIN for posting this :flowers:

Jan 14, 2008
glad you all are enjoying the video.. i'm really glad i decided t go with this topic even more now after hearing everyone's positive feedback. i'm glad people are so interested in what happens to these horses after their careers are over :smile: