adopting a dog from overseas

Also not sure what you mean by a “pro dog person”. My 11 year old dachshund was a rescue who happened to be very talented and earned over 13 AKC titles and was the inspiration for my kids books. My most recent was from a breeder because there are sports that non registered AKC dogs can’t do.

Well a person gets a mix of a golden (field dog) and a poodle (field dog) who are both very high energy and want the dog to chill on the couch, yes in that case you have issues.
If someone likes the look of a doodle why not get a standard poodle and just get a doodle cut when they go for grooming, which with doodles is every 6 weeks ideally.
yes, I was talking to a woman recently with a doodle...it did look a lot like a standard poodle. and she did say he was a handfull. but she seems to be caring for him appropriately - takes him running daily, etc.

Also not sure what you mean by a “pro dog person”. My 11 year old dachshund was a rescue who happened to be very talented and earned over 13 AKC titles and was the inspiration for my kids books. My most recent was from a breeder because there are sports that non registered AKC dogs can’t do.
I just knew you trained and showed them....didn't know that one was a rescue...no offense intended

None taken. I just hope that everyone researches the dog they are getting when they get it, be it a rescue or a pound dog or whatever.
So much yes to this! I think many don't and just choose based mainly on looks & size...Then have issues later and wonder why. Even if you can't figure out the breeds (our pup is a mutt), you can ask about the dog's temperment and energy level. You need to go into the dog search knowing what type of dog fits your lifestyle and family best (i.e. active outdoor lifestyle, more stay at home, etc.)

This is Sidney. She was adopted from China, through an organization that rescues dogs from the Yulin Festival. A friend of mine adopted her and she is a great girl! View attachment 5195530
so sweet....I imagine based on that story I posted it cost more to adopt her compared to adopting from a shelter or rescue organization here - but less than buying from a breeder. and I'm sure the doggie appreciates her good forever home

so sweet....I imagine based on that story I posted it cost more to adopt her compared to adopting from a shelter or rescue organization here - but less than buying from a breeder. and I'm sure the doggie appreciates her good forever home
It was on par with rescues. Somewhere around $500 I think. Definitely more expensive than adopting from Animal Control, but not as much as a dog from a reputable breeder. They did have to travel from Wyoming to Los Angeles to pick her up though.

Reactions: sdkitty