Adopt Older cat(s) or get new kitten?

Well I am really zig zagging on this -- need to meet them tomorrow but also >>>
I'm asking the breeder about their health and she mentions that one of them had pyometra the last time she was bred, so she ended up having her spayed a bit earlier than she had planned.
I know nothing about this as I've never kept unspayed animals -- read up and it seems that it's an infection and dangerous, but once they're spayed that's it. One article said something about rarely, the "stump" can get reinfected. So I ask the breeder -- who really is a rather prominent breeder and she actually got a bit defensive at first -- tho we talked through that on the phone and she ended up saying she'd share any records, explaining the entire situation in detail, and I was free to talk to her vet. She also currently has another prominent breeders queen with the male who used to breed with the girl cat who was sick 2 months ago -- and I can't imagine anyone risking their cat like that.

But -- I am really on the fence now. I may just not be ready for another cat(s). But I do think we should go, regardless.

I know breeders guarantee the health of kittens for a period of time, but generally not adults, though I did question her about kitten stuff like cardiomyopathy screening. And she said if I do take them home and within a month they're just not working out for us, she'll take them back and refund and refund our money.

Have you considered asking your vet about this type of infection? I'm sure they'd give you a really honest answer about how this will affect the care and lives of the adult cats, if you choose to bring them home with you.

But I always feel like pets find us when it is right, and if you see them, you'll know. That's been my experience at least, so if you're feeling uneasy about the decision, don't rush... there will always be lovely cats looking for a new home months from now.

Hi Blue -- I did ask my vet and she said that what the breeder told me about treatment (via spaying) is what is done, and that there shouldn't be any problems.
So ... we went to meet the cats and ... I didn't fall in love with the girls enough to want to pay that much for them -- we are now considering the breeders two available boys, who are big gorgeous cats and only 3 -- going up to play with them next Friday. We tried so hard to like the girls (we were at their house for 2 hours, meeting all her cats) that by the time we decided not to take the girls it was too late to get to know the boys. They are huge, really furry and feral, everything I've always loved about Maine Coons.
We're not going to get a kitten. They're cute but ... my heart didn't melt, which rather surprised me.
I took back the cute little pink carrying cases but kept the scratching post, etc. Am going to visit some shelters inbetween now and then too.

Hey, don't beat yourself up :nogood: It just wasn't meant to be :flowers: Just go and meet the boys next time and you'll see what happens, you know! It's actually good that you know what you don't want... so when you come across the cat(s) you're looking for, you'll just know :yes:

And don't feel sorry, I think kittens are adorable, but I haven't raised a kitten in 10 years :rolleyes: I'd much rather get an adult, it's a lot less work regarding training and basic behavior and such. ;)