Adjusting the way you work during bad economy

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Not sure if I should place the thread here..anyway..just need advice about my DH. This is kinda long...

My DH has a very good job in IT and made good money and he's been there for 4 yrs. However lately (I should say since around November), he's been slacking, overly confident and to be honest borderline cocky about his job security.
    He only goes to the office twice a week sometimes only once and the rest he work from home with his laptop in bed. I dont know how productive he is when he's working from home since I'm not there, but I'm sure the distractions are there and he will not be able interact with people face to face, they will be on work IM though, so I'm not sure if that's enough.

People who works from home: please don't take offence. I have friends that works from home too, but his job wasn't designed to be like that from the beginning.

I would have thought that with so many ppl got laid off (I was a victim too last August, thankfully I found another job already), and with the economy as it is, one should really work seriously right now, maintain relationship with ppl at work (networking), you know....show that you work your ass off and be noticed, that kind of thing. Because you never know really. I will never wish anything bad happen to him, but with the rate he's going, he's going to lose his job soon. Other ppl would kill to have his job, half his pay and be willing to be in the office from dawn to night.

When I confronted him, he said, he doesn't need to be there to get his job done, OK, that reason is kinda valid for me because like I said, I have friends that work from home and it can be done. But his job is not designed to be in the office only once or twice a week though, so why assume he doesn't need to be there? While everybody in his team ARE at work.

Then he said, by working from home he saves gas. OK, if he said it when the gas was like 2.79$ 6/7 months ago, I would probably agree. But now the gas in our area is 1.65$ so why is the same excuse? Plus we don't have trucks so gas should not be exorbitantly expensive for him.

Then this morning. We had winter storm warning yesterday, but hey we live in Austin TX, our winter storm is not like the states in east coast. I woke up as usual and about to go work and ask him if he's going or not. How come he didn't get ready. He said, he's working from home today because of the winter storm (read: this morning only 32F, to me that's nothing).
    NOW, if everybody has that same attitude this morning, how come I'm stuck in traffic with other cars for 1.5hrs with all of them rushing to work (except him???). Obviously others resume their routine as normal (except him and the school children).

I got to the office and call him at home and ask him to go to work even if it's late. His response is just "why". I don't understand why he doesnt get it. Did he want to keep his job or not?? Anyway, he had this long sigh...and told me he will go to work. But my feeling this will happen again next week. I mean he got away with it since Nov right? why worry now? I'm really scare for him.

Any advice on how to get to his head and before it's too late? I couldn't believe that even my own experience being laid off doesnt give him some kind of hard lesson to learn. :sad:

Also, I probably wouldnt worry so much if the job vacancies are flowing, but obviously this is not the case right now. What would you do in this situation? Have you found yourself work longer and harder (more efficient) in order to keep your job? Or is it me being paranoid?

TIA

2. Yikes, I'm in agreement with you... in these competitive, tough times, there are a thousand people who'd be happy to take your husband's job, possibly for even less pay. It's really the time for him to step up and show his bosses that he's irreplaceable.

I don't think you're being paranoid at all. Have you tried sitting him down and saying, "Seriously, I'm concerned"?

3. You have a PM. Your husband's company is extremely unsafe.

4. This is a toughie. I've definitely found myself lately working harder and taking on more work (even though I know there won't be any raises this year) with the idea of, "Hey, at least I have a job!" Husband owns a business and he said times of recession are typically a great time for companies to make big changes (ie: health care providers, insurance coverage, etc) because generally co-workers aren't going to complain- they're just going to be be happy they still have a steady income coming in.

So I definitely understand your concern for him, but at the same time- only your husband really knows his job and what goes on there and if it's okay for him to be staying home. I would address your concerns with him, but in the end it's his call- and you might just need to sit back and hope that he makes the best decision. :sad:

5. I don't get his attitude either. Maybe he is just lazy, and I'm sure ppl in his workplace have noticed it before you did.
    My husband works for a company that is doing fantastic in Europe and Asia but not so good in the US, and they started closing branches and firing ppl. Everyone in Europe branches was alarmed and started working twice as hard, even if there was no problem over here. My hubby has other income sources and he invests all the time, and tries really hard to make sure we are safe financially, even if we are very minimal (not huge spenders , no kids, no cars), and with no debt. I'd be worried if he wasn't alarmed by the global changes.
    I was laid off 2.5 years ago (investments) because our branch was closed, I know how fragile the market is...

Please try to talk to your husband again. And make sure you save money in your savings acc. IT is in danger as far as I know.

6. Thanks for everyone responses. The thing that I don't get is why he's like this when the economy is in disaster? He wasn't like that even a year ago. He used to up early and comes home late. I really wonder if he has problems with ppl at work, somehow he's so unmotivated-almost like he doesn't give a rat. He never told me things about his work even if I ask, so I never really know.

I talked to him last night, in fact before I went home I wrote this long email (he usually responds better if I send him a heartfelt email) and he said he's understand my point.

This morning he went to work at 7.30am without being asked-I hope it stays this way.

As for me, since I got this new job, I found myself being here from 8 and get home around 6.30pm and often I didn't take lunch break at all or sometimes ate at my desk and be done by 8 mins and back to work. It's bad I know, but I want to get paid!

7. Did his boss okay his working from home? If so, then I don't really see it as that big of a deal if he's being productive at home. My mom's boss allowed his employees to work from home 2-3 times a week when gas was high. Even now, he's still letting them continue with this schedule.

It's true that we should all worry about our jobs in this economy, but I feel that in certain IT sectors, there's less need to worry. I'm a government contractor with a private company and the only times we really stress about being laid off is when the contract is up for re-bid. Of course, if you're under-performing, they can fire you anytime.

8. I'm thinking along the same lines with you. Additionally, in these times, a lot pf people are being laid off regardless of their productivity or even if they are the only person that can do a particular function.

Just today a company in my city just gave out 4,000 layoff notices to their employees this morning. I doubt seriously if all of those went to lax or unproductive employees. It's all about the bottom line.

9. While large companies are laying off hundreds or thousands at a time, smaller companies make smaller cuts. Bosses often decide who to let go based on productivity (or even just personal feelings). While my dh's job is very secure and his office is at home, he is still constantly in contact with people, always taking calls and makes frequent business trips. I think all of that is reasonable, as no matter how secure a person thinks they are, it is always better to have people know you are there when they need you.

Only your dh can judge what is right for him and the company he works for, but if he used to go to the office a lot and has slacked off since November, I would wonder about what people are saying or thinking when he isn't there. If he had been hired as a work-from-home employee that would be different, but he USED to go in. A lot of people - especially people who have to be there everyday - might view that as lazy or slacking on his responsibilities, even if he isn't.

10. I think there's something to be said for face time with your superiors versus working from home. There is, in my opinion, a payoff for going to the office even if you can work for home. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

11. He told me his boss often dissapear himself or work for home. But to me, you don't have to "copy" him, it's his boss' loss for not "managing" or care about the subordinates.

I'm sure he's doing work-I never doubt that part, but how much compare if he's at work? I really wanted him to built more network and you cannot do that if you spend 3/4 days at home. So many ppl got laid off from his company and more ppl to go after Jan.
    To me, the more you know ppl the better it is. That's how I got my current job after being laid off.

In terms of getting calls, I know sometimes I called him by accident while he's having teleconference or about to have one. And like I said in my first post, he's interacting with others by office IM.

12. That's exactly how I feel.

13. I had a long reply typed out, but I realized I was just re-hashing what everyone else has already said. I think you have every right in the world to be concerned. With the way the economy is and so many people fighting for even the most low-paying, menial jobs, it'd be foolhardy to take one's employment for granted.

The bottom line is that NOBODY is irreplaceable.

14. 4,000!!! How many people did the company have to begin with?

15. I agree...