additional money?!

writtenstars

shopaholic :)
Jun 14, 2009
i am so confused.
long story short, i got a watch on evilbay, for a really really good deal.
And i chose first class mail international for shipment (well, the seller had it on the checkout invoice) it was for $19.95, and i had to purchase compulsory insurance for $10. This adds up to $29.95 for shipment. So i paid.

Now, the seller is requesting me to add another $10 for the shipment, in which she already shipped out. Here is her email below:
Hi Im send it priority and you paid for only first class we dont send first class to where you live we need to get 10 more dollars to send it a safe way with tracking and insured and confermation you havew recived it thanks for under standing and thanks for buying its a super nice watch and yes new.

so i don't really get it. I checked the USPS website and it says that there is first class mail international, but she didn't do it and went for priority mail instead? Why didn't she tell me in the first place?
so should i pay her? or just ignore her?

Last edited:
That is messed up. She needs to just suck it up as a loss if she is telling the truth. It sounds like she is fabricating, since you saw for yourself that they do offer first class. Maybe she messed up and got the wrong one and is now trying to get you to pay for it. I was in a situation recently where I over estimated shipping and the buyer agreed to it. When I found out I charged too much I contemplated on what to do. The agreement was already made, like in your case, but I refunded her anyway. I now regret that as I didn't even get a thank you. I say just to tell her you already made the agreement and she should have figured this out before hand. It's only $10!

If you got a good deal on a watch and want it badly, I would pay the $10 just to be sure I got the watch in good condition.
She goofed, it happens and maybe by doing something over and above and being the bigger person in this, she in turns will be the bigger person to the next person she comes in contact with.

nikki: i do agree on what you say, that she messed up, and it is not my problem. I wrote her a reply saying that i paid for first class mail, not priority. See what she says.

gacats: i don't really want to comply with her, as she was really rude right after i paid for the watch. She said: "Im not shipping till you tell me what to do on the shipping"
I replied her with my Ps and Qs saying that i indicated that i paid for first class mail.

You said she's already sent the watch and is now asking for more money? Sounds like she made a mistake, besides the one where she had you pay for insurance which only protects her. As far as what you've posted, you don't owe her any more money.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you. You did nothing wrong. BTW, I just mailed something to Australia, First class USPS for $10. The $29 you paid should be plenty for a watch. I think what she meant was they do not offer first class with Insurance and confirmation . They only have all the extras with Priority. Keep us updated!!

Last edited:
Yeah, I definitely don't think you should have to pay additional money. She should have done her research before calculating shipping costs. She should just suck it up.

I'm assuming the seller is in the US. This is what USPS online says

Priority Mail® International Small Flat-Rate Box
USPS-supplied Priority Mail small flat-rate box 5 3/8" x 8 1/2" X 1 3/4" Maximum weight 4 pounds. 6 - 10 Days $12.95 $12.30

Refer her to the website, and tell you have already paid substantially more than what USPS says it will cost. Also tell her you don't want to escalate it to ebay and would like her to ship it for the price for which she invoiced.

If she doesn't comply, escalate it to ebay -- they take a VERY dim view of sellers trying to extort more S&H once the auction has closed.

Unless the watch is incredibly heavy, $29.99 is enough for postage for a 1 pound package going ExpressMail which includes insurance up to $100. I goofed on shipping all the time I never ask for more money from the buyers, ever.

I think the seller is SOL for quoting the wrong shipping costs. I remember I quoted a buyer less shipping than I actually paid. I think the seller is wrong to ask for more money, because you sent you an invoice and you paid it. That's it.

The nerve of some people....you have paid the invoice, and it seems over the top.....how many time's do some of us give the wrong amount for postage?????
l know l have.....and it sucks, this seller is way oout of line!!!!
Good Luck :P

I've quoted buyers the wrong price quite a bit lately since I'm selling some of my mom's old dolls that vary in size...depends on the size of the outer box that I need (sometimes I have the boxes available and other times need to go buy one instead) and where the buyer is located.
If the box is overly large, a "Balloon rate" is incurred, last time I sent one it was $25 to ship and the buyer only paid $15...but I sure as heck didn't ask the buyer to pay me the extra. I didn't even mention it and even though I printed the shipping with the price showing, I doubt they'll even say anything. Oh well.

So to the OP, that's the seller's problem. You could also ask them why they don't ship First Class International to where you live.

I shipped a package to australia recently but the PO wouldn't allow me to ship it first class so I had to send it priority. I was really annoyed cause without tracking, it was still $40 for a 2lb box.