Additional leather questions...scratch and water resistance...

may I add I took my Box Kelly out in a storm a few weeks ago - (stupid, but was going to the Grand opening of my new store, so she HAD to come!), Kelly got wet on the front, blistered quite badly (I wiped her off as soon as I got in the store, and had only been in the rain 3 seconds)....if you've seen 'blisters' on Box, you'll freak out...anyway, the craftsman said the bag would be OK, because it was wiped dry - glad to say all is well, you can see my Kelly in the scarves on bags thread - not one blister left!!

Also, IMO, the Barenia I have had experience with scratches as easily as box....just my opinion......

may I add I took my Box Kelly out in a storm a few weeks ago - (stupid, but was going to the Grand opening of my new store, so she HAD to come!), Kelly got wet on the front, blistered quite badly (I wiped her off as soon as I got in the store, and had only been in the rain 3 seconds)....if you've seen 'blisters' on Box, you'll freak out...anyway, the craftsman said the bag would be OK, because it was wiped dry - glad to say all is well, you can see my Kelly in the scarves on bags thread - not one blister left!!

Also, IMO, the Barenia I have had experience with scratches as easily as box....just my opinion......
Yep, those blisters are scary. If you don't wipe the water off immediately, it can become irreversible as the water will get into the fibers and cause them to plump.

Barenia does scratch as easily as box, but the scratches can be rubbed out, scratches on box will not, so I ranked it higher than box. In fact, I'm rubbing my Barenia now.:graucho:

holy crap kristie!!! your box blistered? did you start to sweat? did you run into the store hysterical? i didn't know that initial blistering wouldn't be permanent. thank goodness it's okay now. wow wow wow.

GF...So happy to hear the blisters "healed"...very scary! (I now have to get the horrible cold sore image out of my head...)

Very interesting to hear the leather in the elements stories...

Interesting thread, def something new to learn everyday. Geez, I would freak like a mad cow if I see blisters on my box birkin. That is why I ALWAYS bring the rainkit inside my box birkin everytime I use her. I dont care how funny it looks that my bag has a raincoat, anything to protect my beloved box birkin I would wholeheartedly do.

I second someone else's comment about clemence's durability/scratch resistance. I used my chartreuse birkin during my trip to HK before and I put the bag on my shoulder, wore a ring & bracelet, bumped a few times to ppl/etc.. and not a single mark was on the bag. On the opposite, when I was using my box birkin to travel, there were a couple of very light scratches on the bag as a courtesy from the trip.

It might be copy/pasted to the leather book or leather book discussion threads if it is "ready for prime time". Thanks all for your input! I will be taking a copy of the list with me to Europe for reference...just in case I have interesting options...

a hem! Wanna know what happened to my Vache Liegee PB in the rain the other day?

Remember the color is gold. It had black dots all over the bag!!!!!!!! At first I thought something spilled on it because it looked like dirt spots, I tried to wipe it off and they were still there, no blisters, just black spots all over the bag. I was gonna start freaking out crying when I noticed that they were dissapearing. After 20 minutes all the spots just dissapeared, so me and my dareing self did the water test again and sat there for almost 15 minutes watching the spot dissapear again.

So! Vache Liegee survived the rain! I won't take it out in the rain again but I think it's okay in the rain just wipe it off. And watch the spots dissapear!

a hem! Wanna know what happened to my Vache Liegee PB in the rain the other day?

Remember the color is gold. It had black dots all over the bag!!!!!!!! At first I thought something spilled on it because it looked like dirt spots, I tried to wipe it off and they were still there, no blisters, just black spots all over the bag. I was gonna start freaking out crying when I noticed that they were dissapearing. After 20 minutes all the spots just dissapeared, so me and my dareing self did the water test again and sat there for almost 15 minutes watching the spot dissapear again.

So! Vache Liegee survived the rain! I won't take it out in the rain again but I think it's okay in the rain just wipe it off. And watch the spots dissapear!

Wow! Glad to hear all ended well!

I always wondered how certain colors would do in the rain too...For example, do some of the lighter colors in certain leathers get permenantly discolored after a rain? Ugh....