Adding a new member to the family: CAT

Jeannam2008

Fashionably me :)
Jul 10, 2009
I've been in contact with a women who is trying to rehome her 8 year old male (neutered) cat, declawed. She is leaving for a mission trip and needs to find him a good home.

I'm meeting with her and meeting "Spike" (that's his name) this Sunday morning.
Any advice/tips on rehoming an older cat?

He does really well with other animals, he previously lives with a great dane and a shepard/boxer mix. I have 2 chihuahuas who I've been taking into my work to meet the hospital cats ( I work at a vet clinic)

The owner says her husbands work schedule has recently changed, and he's gone longer periods, she says Spike has been urinating in the same spot by the steps since his schedule has changed, he's been to the vet and there is no health issues causing it. I'm going to set him up with an appt at my work, and possibly try out the Feliway diffuser (anyone heard of it, tried it?)

Are you looking to keep Spike or foster him? There are several posters here who use Feliway. I have never tried it. I wish they would make declawing (and other mutilations) illegal :rant:

I'm keeping him, I don't like foster (1) because I get really attached to animals, like I have with the hospital cats I work around lol. And I'm with you on that! He's an older cat, and she doesn't want to take him the humane society because of his age. So I am gladly taking him in as my own.

I will have to search the thread for the feliway posts thank you :smile:

That is really nice of you to take in an older cat. Really seniors are the best IMO. If he is already used to dogs he should be just fine. Just give him all the time he needs to adjust to the new situation. Make sure there are plenty of places where he can get away from the dogs if he feels threatened by them. Put his litter box in a safe secluded place where he will not be afraid of an ambush. You work in a clinic so I'm sure none of this is news to you. He will be fine. Give him lots of love and affection. I'm sure he is going to be scared and confused for while. His entire world is about to change. For the better but still scary for a cat.

We just moved into our new house and the previous owners had 2 cats and a dog, they kept the litter box in the pantry with the door tied to open just enough for the cat and not the dogs so I think I'm going to do the same thing. My dogs are always up on our bed when we're not home and they stay there till we get home. Luckily my work schedule has changed so I'm home a lot more which has really helped with my 2 dogs.

I'm going to make him an appt with my vet for next week, to get him checked out, and talk to my Dr about his previous urination issues. I'm very excited to meet him. I've been around cats a lot at work, but haven't owned a cat since I was little, so I'm doing a lot of research.

I use Feliway and really think it helps. We move into a new house after 10 years in our prior house. My cat is 16 and she seemed to be experiencing anxiety. Wandering around and meowing alot. About a week after having the Feliway plugged in, she seemed much calmer and doesn't cry as much as he was before.

Spike is adorable! I love the smile on his face, he'll be cuddling you in no time :biggrin:

I know! The owner says he loves to cuddle. I'm very excited to meet him on Sunday. :smile: I've been looking and doing my research all day because I haven't had a cat since I was little.

I'd like to change his name though, how easy is that going to be?

Baby gate across the door so the dogs can't get to him. Let them sniff through the gate. Make sure you are quick to correct any dog behavior showing too much interest in the cat. They are going to be curious but they shouldn't be frantically so. Also I would wait a few days and let him settle in to one room before letting them meet. Put a blanket or something with dog scent on it in his room so he is used to it by the time they meet. Do the same with his smell on something the dogs can lay on. He is gorgeous!! If you keep the same sounding name you should be able to change it. I changed my cat's name from Hope to Happy. It didn't take long for her to learn and love her name.

Another big question! How should I introduce him to my 2 dogs

I know! The owner says he loves to cuddle. I'm very excited to meet him on Sunday. :smile: I've been looking and doing my research all day because I haven't had a cat since I was little.

I'd like to change his name though, how easy is that going to be?

I would keep his name, he might get confused if you start calling him something different. my sister adopted a cat from her university's psych lab (she was used in testing :sad: ) she's 10 years old and her name is....Piranha. she kept her name and eventually as she got to know her developed "pet" names like schmancy pants and Piranys....maybe go this route?

I've been chatting all day with his owner, she's been a sweetheart with giving me information and telling me about him, sending me pictures. I'm so excited to meet him.

She has him on 9 lives dry cat food, but with me working in a vet clinic I know that's "junk food" so I'm going to slowly transition him to a healthier food after having him seen by my Dr. going to get him the full check up :smile:

Fiance and I were looking at names and he likes the name "Milo" lol

My 2 chihuahuas, we will introduce separately at first. I do have a baby gate so yes that will come in handy :smile:

I've been looking at cat litter, trying to figure out what the best would be to buy? I'm looking for something that is clumping. Fiance says I'm over thinking this, when it comes to my pets I want nothing but the best and I want him to get the best care, and with me being a vet tech I'm always doing research so I can't help it :smile: