Actor Christian Bale goes on profanity laced rant (audio) *graphic language*

Also, I just heard tonight on the radio that the "Bryce" he is referring to in the rant is Bryce Dallas Howard, Ron Howard's actress-daughter. That makes me even more sick... I won't go into details but I have met Bryce's siblings and they could not be NICER or more down to earth/unspoiled people. I have to wonder what it must be like to work with someone who is such a rageaholic as Bale clearly is :blink:

Mr Roo and I were also talking about this earlier and he said, "Well, I'm sure Russell Crowe is relieved, he's now moved down a notch to the SECOND biggest a-hole in Hollywood" :lol:

Oh, I believe Russell Crowe is probably THIRD, behind Jeremy Piven.

Heard part of this on the radio this morning....I'll listen to the rest tonight.

I adore Christian Bale, but he was way out of line IMO...he could have just told the guy to piss off (once) and gotten over it instead of going on and on and on and dropping 1000 f bombs...

POW! What a hideous man :tdown:

ZAP! Unfortunately I believe he is not the only guy in Hollywood who believes his own hype and acts like this to anybody around him who he deems is not as worthy.

I really hope he has to come out and publicly apologise for this. Sometimes, eating a slice of humble pie is the only thing that will stop these egotistical nightmares.
What I hate most about it though is the fact that he is allowed to get away with it. Somebody should have said, you are acting like a complete and utter arse.

POW! What a hideous man :tdown:

ZAP! Unfortunately I believe he is not the only guy in Hollywood who believes his own hype and acts like this to anybody around him who he deems is not as worthy.

I really hope he has to come out and publicly apologise for this. Sometimes, eating a slice of humble pie is the only thing that will stop these egotistical nightmares.
What I hate most about it though is the fact that he is allowed to get away with it. Somebody should have said, you are acting like a complete and utter arse.

Maybe somebody did. We don't know. Just as we don't actually know what really went on.

One of my friends has shot with the DP Bale is yelling at many times, and he says that before a scene is shot, a call goes out to make sure anything which would be distracting in the actor/actresses' line of sight is either moved or completely stops. My friend has spoken with the DP about Bale in this particular audio clip, but he will not tell me what the DP has said about the situation (I honestly really didn't want to know).

I asked my friend yesterday if it is normal for a famous actor/actress to flip out like that if someone comes into their line of sight, and he was confused because this kind of thing shouldn't really happen on set, although mistakes are obviously made. Apparently it wasn't the first time the DP had gotten into Bale's line of sight, and he flipped out.

Also, just because someone flips out and does a bunch of yelling/swearing doesn't automatically mean they are a woman beater or whatnot ...

^^^ I'm sure what the DP did was a huge mistake and totally out of line on a movie set, but did it really warrant that extent of verbal abuse and vitriolic rage? I know he was probably in "the zone" of acting, and seeing the DP walk on ruined his frame of mind for the scene, but come on.....this is *entertainment.* It was not heart surgery or crime-fighting or anything truly important in the grand scheme of things.

I have worked with and am friends with some famous, world-class musicians, and believe me, I KNOW prima donnas. Their art is their whole world....I get that. There are run-of-the-mill diva rants, and there are out-of-control anger management problems. Seems like Christian falls into the latter category.

(he was arrested awhile ago on verbal assault charges, not physical assault or "woman beating." After hearing this clip, I can see why his mom and sister were so scared. He is menacing in this state.)

ETA -- it's true that we really don't know the exact details of what went on before or after this clip, but I think the clip was crystal clear in its maliciousness and doesn't really need additional context. :confused1:

Last edited:
I really wondered about him after the issue with his mother. Then, during interviews for Batman, he seemed to just simmer with anger over the fact that Heath Ledger had all the attention. He seemed to really resent having to spend his interviews talking about Ledger, although he never used as many words. You could see that HE wanted to be the center of attention and just gritted his teeth and tolerated the attention being on someone else.

This just reinforces what I already thought of him. He is a self-centered a*shole. He certainly has all the publicity he could ask for now - hope he enjoys it.

Personally, I think he is an intense actor and was in the zone during that scene...and he just snapped because apparently the guy who provoked him had done it once before. I'm not saying what he said to him was okay...he was visibly upset and like anyone else blew up. :shrugs:

Regardless...still a fan of his..he's a great actor!

^^^ I'm sure what the DP did was a huge mistake and totally out of line on a movie set, but did it really warrant that extent of verbal abuse and vitriolic rage? I know he was probably in "the zone" of acting, and seeing the DP walk on ruined his frame of mind for the scene, but come on.....this is *entertainment.* It was not heart surgery or crime-fighting or anything truly important in the grand scheme of things.

I have worked with and am friends with some famous, world-class musicians, and believe me, I KNOW prima donnas. Their art is their whole world....I get that. There are run-of-the-mill diva rants, and there are out-of-control anger management problems. Seems like Christian falls into the latter category.

(he was arrested awhile ago on verbal assault charges, not physical assault or "woman beating." After hearing this clip, I can see why his mom and sister were so scared. He is menacing in this state.)

ETA -- it's true that we really don't know the exact details of what went on before or after this clip, but I think the clip was crystal clear in its maliciousness and doesn't really need additional context. :confused1:
Additional context would be needed if someone really wanted to justify his rant ... how many hours they had been shooting for before the DP pissed him off, how many times the DP or anyone else distracted everyone involved on the set, etc. I'm sure all of those things, which aren't known to anyone but the people who were present on the set, could have affected someone's reaction to being distracted several times. I guess I don't quite understand why people are calling him a self-centered a-hole, most actors are self-centered to begin with and just because Bale's rant was recorded DOESN'T mean that there aren't other well-liked actors/actresses who have reacted in this manner on a set as well ...

Earlier posters had said the audio had them convinced he not only verbally assaulted his mom, but that he also probably physically assaulted them since he is very worked up in the audio posted, which is why I said yelling doesn't equate to physically harming someone.

Last edited: