Acrylic nails and refills - painful!

AlyceG

Aug 30, 2016
So I used to change my nail polish colour every second day (I was an addict.. 200+ bottles!), but then had a child and lost all motivation for my nails.

For the first time in 15 years I decided to get acrylics (white tip) as I can duck out at lunch and get them done and have lovely nails all the time.

But I went for my first refill today. And it was so painful! I don't know if it's just me being a bit sensitive or the tech was rough, but my new nails were really sensitive when the buffer drill thing went over it. The skin around my nails is also very tender and sore.

Is this normal? I'm I just a bit of a wuss (I think I am generall!)?

Reactions: scarlette1969
I wore acrylics for years, and while they can be sensitive at times (especially when you first get them put on as the acrylic hardens/cures), I've never had a painful fill. It sounds to me like your nail tech was too rough and probably drilled too much into your natural nail plate. Next time you go in for a fill, I would just mention that it was painful last time and ask that they take it easy with the drill since your nails are thin underneath. Ask for another nail tech or try a different salon if you are concerned.

I agree with the other posters they shouldn’t hurt. If they do hurt the tech was too rough and probably filed away too much of your nail. Personally I stay away from any nail places that use drills, it’s the lazy way to file nails. In the past I had a tech slip and really got me bad it was the last time I went somewhere that used drills. Ironically once I switched to places that hand file I never had a nail pop off which was a regular problem for me at the drill nail salons. Now I only do no chip and again hand file to remove the polish after soaking. Also next time speak up if they’re doing something hurts let them know it hurts.

Thanks ladies!! I ended up going to a different nail tech and what a difference! It wasn't painful at all, I was totally relaxed and was a great experience. I think the last lady was way too rough. I ended up having broken skin all around my nails.

I do think I have particularly sensitive skin and nails but that first time was just so painful!!

Reactions: Ida2 and Nailicious
Good decision. :smile:
Thanks ladies!! I ended up going to a different nail tech and what a difference! It wasn't painful at all, I was totally relaxed and was a great experience. I think the last lady was way too rough. I ended up having broken skin all around my nails.

I do think I have particularly sensitive skin and nails but that first time was just so painful!!