Acrylic nail shape - oval or square or what?

ifoundme!

Aug 16, 2009
I was a nail biter. No nails, crappy nails. My BFF suggested acrylics as she has done acrylics for 20 years and love, love, loves them. So I went to her salon as it is nice to see and hear good reviews from a salon before you go. Now I am hooked! I love my hands and my nails for the first time in my life and I am over 50. Never had such pampering! SO, girls, my question to you nail experts is: Square or oval or squoval or what? My BFF likes oval, she has small hands as does her mom. They both do oval. I have thicker hands and fingers than they do, and I am not sold on the oval shape. They don't like square, but I am liking it and think it might be a better fit for me. I am looking for your opinions.
Thank you!

I dont like oval nails...square all the way. I dont know, oval nails just scream old lady or outdated to me. Nails are not naturally oval either, so it just looks off. Now, even on squared nails, the edges can be rounded ever so slightly so they dont snag on things, but overall the basic shape should be naturally square. I've never seen anyone, no matter what size or shape of fingers that look good with oval nails.

I was a nail biter. No nails, crappy nails. My BFF suggested acrylics as she has done acrylics for 20 years and love, love, loves them. So I went to her salon as it is nice to see and hear good reviews from a salon before you go. Now I am hooked! I love my hands and my nails for the first time in my life and I am over 50. Never had such pampering! SO, girls, my question to you nail experts is: Square or oval or squoval or what? My BFF likes oval, she has small hands as does her mom. They both do oval. I have thicker hands and fingers than they do, and I am not sold on the oval shape. They don't like square, but I am liking it and think it might be a better fit for me. I am looking for your opinions.
Thank you!

You should check out the nail polish thread! I don't think any ladies have acrylics, but there are a variety of nail shapes! Some square, some rounded off. I don't like completely square for myself, I let the nail tech round them off just a bit. babevivtan is a good example of oval nails, and I think her always looks gorgeous. You should go for what you like and what you think will look good on your hands. I have thicker fingers as well, but my nails don't have a lot of width to them so square or squarish looks fine on them.

SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE please. no offense to the oval-loving ladies but I just find oval-shaped nails not nice at all. like floridasun said, it's just outdated and weird looking to me.

Thank you!

I can't believe it - I just did the same thing. I'm 52 and have thought about getting acrylics for over 25 years and always chickened out. Finally in June after breaking my nails yet again, I started calling and checking prices and how they were done.

I found a salon that hand files - no drills. Got them put on for the 1st time in July and LOVE them. Can't believe I didn't do it before. First time she did rounded. This time a little more square. On me the rounded looks better but I have small hands.

Go by what you feel is best for you. The first time i got them "short" for acrylics. This time they are longer. Trying to find a length I like best.

Did you do french, clear or colored nails?

Yes it is pampering and very relaxing (the only time I do relax). :biggrin:

I don't like square nails because if they are too square, they look too fake IMO. I make my acrylics as natural (thin) looking as possible, and they have to be on the rounder side since I wear contacts and square nails just make me poke my eyes too much.

I don't like square nails because if they are too square, they look too fake IMO. I make my acrylics as natural (thin) looking as possible, and they have to be on the rounder side since I wear contacts and square nails just make me poke my eyes too much.
I agree!

Plus, I have stubby fingers and I think that squared tips emphasize this. I don't like the skinny claw-like ovals, but gently rounded tips look the most flattering on me.

I think it depends on what looks best on you! Round nails look strange on me and manicurists are continually filing mine down to even more square than I naturally let them be... just the way my nails are shaped though! Only my pointer finger and thumbs will even get rounded; the others stay squared off permanently!