Acrylic nail shape - oval or square or what?

I can't believe it - I just did the same thing. I'm 52 and have thought about getting acrylics for over 25 years and always chickened out. Finally in June after breaking my nails yet again, I started calling and checking prices and how they were done.

I found a salon that hand files - no drills. Got them put on for the 1st time in July and LOVE them. Can't believe I didn't do it before. First time she did rounded. This time a little more square. On me the rounded looks better but I have small hands.

Go by what you feel is best for you. The first time i got them "short" for acrylics. This time they are longer. Trying to find a length I like best.

Did you do french, clear or colored nails?

Yes it is pampering and very relaxing (the only time I do relax). :biggrin:

LOL! I am 52 too! 53 in December. I own a constrution company, so I like the shorter to mid length, not too long. I got long at first just because you can always go shorter, but you can't add length. My nail gal says I won't know if I like the square or rounded square till I try them, which is true. Just like polish color. Some look great in the bottle and on a test, but when I get out to my car or home, and the lighting is different, my opinion changes. Nice to meet another "late bloomer".
Cheers!

You should check out the nail polish thread! I don't think any ladies have acrylics, but there are a variety of nail shapes! Some square, some rounded off. I don't like completely square for myself, I let the nail tech round them off just a bit. babevivtan is a good example of oval nails, and I think her always looks gorgeous. You should go for what you like and what you think will look good on your hands. I have thicker fingers as well, but my nails don't have a lot of width to them so square or squarish looks fine on them.

I didn't see the nail polish thread! I am usually lurking in the Coach thread and always love the input from TPF!
Thank you!
Cheers!

Not to hijack the thread, but if you like the acrylics, you should try the gel nails! They make the white part with gel and fill in the pink with a different gel..they are more durable, and MUCH are easier to fill in/re-do! If you don't love the white look, you can always go with a gel overlay!

I've never had acrylics. I tend to go with a rounded square but the oval look has been really popular editorially...perhaps in a couple years we'll all be doing the oval (its the 80s all over again).

Not to hijack the thread, but if you like the acrylics, you should try the gel nails! They make the white part with gel and fill in the pink with a different gel..they are more durable, and MUCH are easier to fill in/re-do! If you don't love the white look, you can always go with a gel overlay!

The salon I go to has a gal that is highly recommended. She's been there 18 years. She does acrylic and gel. I went in to get gel and she talked me into acrylic. Said I would have less breakage and other problems. Love the acrylic. The first few days when they were new I kept thinking I was going to break them but they are very tough. I was surprised. Have them in the french manicure.

Back when I got acrylics (I have terribly soft, short nails), I always got square. Like what bisousx said, be careful if you wear contacts. The first time I got acrylics was two days after I first go contacts -- big mistake!! (I was 15 so I was dumb enough to do both of those within days of each other). I spent hours trying to get those things out of my eyes with my new nails.

I wear square with slightly rounded corners with airbrush French. Even in the 80's I wore them square. I do not care for the look of oval nails at all. Also, I never have colour on my finger nails. I do not at all find gel nails to be more durable than acrylics and I've worn both for many years.