Acrylic Manicures....my options...

^^ A resin is applied to the natural nail. (They can then apply a tip, if you want length). A small piece of silk or fibreglass is applied over the stress area and then a larger piece over the whole nail bed. More resin is applied which makes the silk/fibreglass disappear. Hey presto strong but not bulky nails. Fibreglass is stronger than silk by the way.

Glynis - I am SO glad you are here in this thread to clear up all of the common misconceptions about acrylic nails!!!

I've had acrylics on almost continuously for around 10 years and I absolutely love them. I go to a woman who has a tiny little salon (just her and 2 other techs) and they use Tammy Taylor products and IMO they are just the best. Granted, they are expensive (I pay $40.00 for a fill every 2 weeks, and a full set is I think either $45 or $50, but it's been so long since I've had a full set I can't say for sure.) But they are sooooo worth it. Oh, and I never get tips applied, they are always applied using the stick on forms (a.k.a. sculptured). Personally I think they last much longer, because with normal wear, the glue that is used to apply the tip will start to break down, causing a tiny gap for moisture to get into and increasing your chances for fungas. I have never, in all my years of wearing acrylics, had that happen to me. This is definitely one area where you get what you pay for. I would advise anyone wanting to do acrylics to search out their local hair salons and such, and steer clear of the salons that do it for real cheap. Just my 2 cents. :flowers:

DSCI0205.jpg

I have gotten manicures in the past and they are wonderful. I have never gotten acrylic nails because I have nice natural nails. My problem is that the nail polish does not last long and that I would like stronger nails. I don't want to harm my natural nails but want something to make them stronger. What would you suggest. Is there anything that I can put on my nails that won't have to be drilled down or filed down? Something that will not destroy the nail bed. I would like to go tomorrow to get them done. Any help would be great thanks.
Also, I read that applying the fiberglass/silk wrap burns. Is that true?

I have gotten manicures in the past and they are wonderful. I have never gotten acrylic nails because I have nice natural nails. My problem is that the nail polish does not last long and that I would like stronger nails. I don't want to harm my natural nails but want something to make them stronger. What would you suggest. Is there anything that I can put on my nails that won't have to be drilled down or filed down? Something that will not destroy the nail bed. I would like to go tomorrow to get them done. Any help would be great thanks.
Also, I read that applying the fiberglass/silk wrap burns. Is that true?

There are two reasons why fibreglass application will burn 1. because the resin is applied too thick 2. because the technician sprays the activator too close. In short, you will only get a burning sensation if you go to a rubbish technician!

Whatever sort of nails you have applied it is only necessary for the technician to etch the nail lightly to remove the surface shine and dead skin and provide a key for the products. Again, only a rubbish technician will ruin your natural nails by over filing.

Nail polish will always last longer on false nails or overlays because the surface is more rigid. If you think about the paint on your car, it pops out or chips if the metal is flexed because paint is not flexible - same applies to nail polish, flex the nail - chip the polish.

A fibreglass, silk or gel overlay would really strenghten your nails and make polish last much longer but you will need regular maintenance from a salon.

Research and find a good technician and your nails will not be damaged.

Other than that, always wipe your nails with polish remover before painting and apply a good base and top coat to keep your polish on slightly longer.