Acrylic Manicures....my options...

Will def post updates! Still waiting for it to get here, I'm so excited! So far i've been doing really well with not biting! I still bit the skin around my nails :sad: But at least it's not the nail itself!

I used to get acrylics, but it really adds up, especially because mine tend to fall off after a week (guess my nails are pretty uncooperative), no matter who I see (I've tried going to at least a dozen places). Acrylics will look fake no matter what, unless you go for the super-expensive manicures that do the customized ones for the Oscars etc. I'd go with a straight french tip... it's very sexy IMO. I think the rounded edge/oval shape is hard to pull off.

Guess what I saw last night.....one of the waitresses has acrylics! Can you believe that?! So there's nothing holding me back now!!! I told my BFF next time she went for a fill in to take me with her and I'd have a set put on.

So what I'm thinking....American Manicure, no white tips, short, cause I still have to play piano and mandolin, and square....The oval isn't a good look on me. I tried it with my natural nails and tried it with the glue on nails and the square looks better, cause like I said, my natural nails grow out square.

Be careful! Don't lose your job by assuming because someone else can have them, you can too! Somehow broach the topic with your boss and see what she says from there.

this thread is pretty long so im just going to type my opinion. i've had acrylics for a LONG TIME but have finally stopped. i switched to gels. gels allow your nails to breathe so they're not brittle when you decide to stop using acrylics.

gels allow your nails to breathe so they're not brittle when you decide to stop using acrylics.

This is absolutely untrue. I will find you links that prove it when I have time. Nails do not "breathe", they are dead tissue. Gel becomes a solid that nothing could get through anyway. Your nail tech may have told you this to get you to switch to her product.

Both issues are covered in these two articles take from a professional nail technicians' site and written by a very highly respected expert.

Point 6 covers the Gel vs. Acrylic argument and point 9 about the breathing issue
http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/9871-myths-fables-seen-scratch-october-issue.html

Point 4 is about the breathing issue:
http://www.salongeek.com/general-ar...ng-nails-2-scratch-magazine-august-issue.html

This is a UK based site, but there are loads of US nail techs on there. There are also similar articles on American Professional Nail Tech sites.

Broadway Nails (as suggested by Legaldiva) can look pretty good, just be careful you don't get water underneath them as it will turn your nails green! Also don't rip them off as it will damage your real nails.

i never had acrylics pressed onto my nails, i always had pink & white acrylics painted onto my fingernails and it looked way more natural and was lovely. i got them because i was (am) a horrible nail biter and it was the only thing that kept me from biting my nails down till they were bleeding. it was rather expensive to maintain but i loved teh way it made my hands look. i really miss it now but i engage in some serious outdoorsy activity where i use my fingers on rocks and dirt and they would just get ruined. and unfortunately i am still a terrible nail biter. i really miss having nice nails!!

but yes my nails were RUINED for a few months from the acrylics. they do kill your nails