Acrylic Manicures....my options...

^^That's funny because I feel the opposite lol. I feel like my fingers are lengthened with the rounded/oval look. To each their own! There are square shapes that do look tasteful, I just don't see enough of them!

Missy, looking at your pic, I understand what you are saying. I will get a pic up prolly tomorrow or whenever I get my next fill so they look presentable!

My SIL just started to get the gel nails instead of the acrylic nails that she had on for years. I guess one really needs to go to a place that knows what they are doing. She keeps her nails on the shorter side and they always look good, the colors she chooses are great but sometimes they were too thick and looked strange. Then she got the gel nails and I thought, what happened???? Her nails looked natural and just perfect. She had them in a light pink with the white tips and they were very pretty. I really want to get gel nails instead of acrylic but have been doing too much decorating to do it now but I hope to get it done before the holidays. Yesterday I went to get a pedicure and was watching the nail techs. do nails and it was pretty interesting to see the way they do it and I was impressed with how great they all looked. But this is a place that is small and owned by a family and has a very good rep. of knowing what they are doing. The one thing that concerns me about getting fake nails is the smell in the salon is horrible even with the fans on. It is like the chemical smell hits you when you first walk in but then I guess you are used to it. So that might be the one thing to bother me.
I hope you are doing well and things are good with your Dad.

Oh yeah, the smell in any kind of salon is awful! But I figure, as much as I've been around hospitals lately, and we all know how they smell, I can handle chemicals. Haha. The first time I had my hair highlighted I gagged the whole time because she used a bleach based product...but after that every time she would do it I got more and more used to it. Yeah, after a while in a nail salon, you get used to the stench...lol.

The salon that does my bf's nails is part of a chain. There's one in the shopping center across the road and it's run by the same family. Amanda's nails are always very tastefully done and she always looks amazing. I've only heard her complain one time...she said that they airbrushed too much of the white on and she felt like the white over powered her nails (because she has stubby fingers anyway). Since then I haven't heard her say a bad thing about it.

Me and her went in there for pedi's not too long ago and there was this woman who was getting the most God forsaken color of bright neon orange put on her acrylics that I had ever seen. Amanda grabs me when we go in and says "LOOK AT THAT!" It was awful because without the color her hands looked so elegant!

I don't even think our little town in Nowheresville, KY offers gel nails. They probably offer them in Louisville and Nashville (which is closer), and I will be in Nashville with school 3 days a week....but can't drive to Nashville all summer and winter when schools not in session just to get my nails done.

My cousin used to get silk wraps over her natural nails. But her nails were long to begin with and they looked really pretty. It's funny because when I was at the salon reading the menu chart-they did everything possible but silk wraps. I guess the big money is in the fake nails.

My Mom's best friend brought this to my attention a few minutes ago....do you think I'll be allowed to wear acrylics at the restaurant....I'm mean, for crying out loud my boss has really long ones....but I couldn't convince them and they think I'm an idiot. I'll ask tomorrow when I go to fill out papers and get fitted for my uniform.

I don't think it's an issue in restaurants, but it is in hospitals and stuff.

On a side note, broke two nails yesterday cleaning so I couldn't take pics for ya!

Oh that's alright about the pics. I'm sorry about your nails tho. That's actually the way my BFF broke hers that one time.

Yeah, I told them that you couldn't have them and work at a hospital but that you probably could at a restaurant, but they wouldn't believe me. I mean, honestly, back me up here, if the boss wears a pair of acrylics that would make Dolly Parton go "whoa!"...shouldn't I be allowed to wear a pair.

And my BFF casually reminded me this afternoon that the salon is closed tomorrow cause of the holiday! Haha! Guess I'll have to get them put on when I get my hair done Thursday!

That's the plan. Cause I start work and school next week, so I want to go in looking fresh...and approachable. I'd hate to walk up to a table I'm waiting on and them be afraid to look at me. I'd really hate to meet a girl I could be friends with, or a guy I could be MORE than friends with and have them go...."Oh....my....God. What hay bale did you just crawl out from under?!" You know?

Missy,
You sure have a way with words and nobody would ever ask someone as pretty as you what haybale you crawled out of.....LOL Let us know how it all turns out. Now I feel I need to get my hair frosted and my nails done sooner......I have a hair appt. this week and hope my stylist can frost my hair when she cuts it.

Nuts....my boss said no nails just yet. Maybe later when we all get used to everything. Half the women in there had them! It doesn't make a lot of sense...but whatever. So....I guess I just need to pamper my head and not my hands!

Aw bummer! At least it will give you the time to really figure out if you want them. I actually just took all my nails off today. Actually feels nice and like airy lol. I'm gonna test myself and see if I don't bite them! Maybe get a pedicure to still treat yourself?

I think I should correct a number of misunderstandings that have been written in this thread:-

1. Acrylics do not damage your real nails (unless they contain MMA, which is banned in most US States), bad nail technicians damage your natural nails. Usually by using an electric file on them.

2. Gel is also a form of acrylic, but you are actually slightly more likely to be alergic to it.

3. Someone mentioned that after acrylics it took about a year for their nails to be normal again??? From base to tip the natural nail only takes about 5/6 months to grow, so this is not possible. If you had your hair damaged from the roots to the ends, subsequent new growth wouldn't be damaged would it.

To add strength and not length, you can have silk or fibreglass wraps or you could have an overlay on your natural nails of acrylic or "gel". Or you could have natural coloured nail extensions with any of these systems. No system would damage your natural nails if you go to a good technician.

Hope this helps.