Acne Treatments anyone??

I would first try a gentle 3 step system - similar to practiv. first wash with a gentle cleanser (such as a neutrogena product or even one w/ benzoyl peroxide in it) then use a gentle astringent (I use alcohol free neutrogena) then a light moisturizer (such as cetaphil). Do that treatment twice daily and look for improvements. If your skin does not improve in about 2-4 weeks, I would see a dermatologist. They may first prescribe topical treatments (which may dry your skin and make you photosensitive, so be careful) then move on to something systemically such as antibiotics. (watch w/ birth control pill as they dec. the effectiveness) if none of this work, accutane is an option. There are strict regulations on it including monthly prergnancy testing (as it is teratogenic), etc. Accutane works well and it has a generic out so it is not as expensive, but careful monitoring should be done if you start taking it. depression and suicide are documented side effects of the drug (debate exists on the true cause of the noted depression and suicide tendacies, but caution should always be taken)Also, if you take accutane, acne should remain improved even after completion of the treatment regimen. Your doctor would definitely know best and have more information on all of the possible treatment options. Good luck!!

Hello! Yes, I have not only an advise to give you, but a real solution. You can finally believe that there is a solution. There's a man called Mike Walden who suffered from very hard cystic acne for many, many years. He devoted all his life to study the causes of acne and he tried everything, simply everything to get rid of it. All the well-known treatments did nothing to his acne, and sometimes made it worst. Even accutane. But he didn't give up, and after many years, he could find a system to cure his and everyone else's acne. Yes, the skin gets completely clear, and you say goodbye even to blackheads!!! He cures the acne from the inside out, not only using products, but in a holistic system which "cleans" your body so that you will be able to clean your skin. I've just finished reading his book and will begin the system right away. You should visit his site. You'll be really impressed, I'm sure. The adress is Acne No More™- Cure Acne Holistically. It is really worth it. I hope you will tell me later! Good luck!

you may want to ask your doctor on what topical medicine s/he can give you.

mine gave me a pledget prescription. and it's working.

ETA: i've tried pro activ and didn't work very well on me.

Hello! Yes, I have not only an advise to give you, but a real solution. You can finally believe that there is a solution. There's a man called Mike Walden who suffered from very hard cystic acne for many, many years. He devoted all his life to study the causes of acne and he tried everything, simply everything to get rid of it. All the well-known treatments did nothing to his acne, and sometimes made it worst. Even accutane. But he didn't give up, and after many years, he could find a system to cure his and everyone else's acne. Yes, the skin gets completely clear, and you say goodbye even to blackheads!!! He cures the acne from the inside out, not only using products, but in a holistic system which "cleans" your body so that you will be able to clean your skin. I've just finished reading his book and will begin the system right away. You should visit his site. You'll be really impressed, I'm sure. The adress is Acne No More™- Cure Acne Holistically. It is really worth it. I hope you will tell me later! Good luck!

Wow! Thank you so much for leading me to this! I downloaded it a few hours ago! Lots and lots of info! I think it will be well worth 40 bucks! VS. all the thousands I would of spent over these next few years! The diet plan is a lot like The Spartan Health Regiem..My fiance is on that for his training and it really opens up your eyes on how brainwashed we really are on whats healthy and whats not. I'll let everyone know how it goes! Starting next week!:nuts:

first and foremost, see a dermatologist.
also - it's possible the skincare products you use everyday could be making your acne worse. look at the ingredient lists, then peek at online lists where you can check if they could be breaking you out. zerozits.com has one ("become an acne detective") i reference often. labels that state "non-comedogenic" often lie, mostly because everyone's skin is different. i can use products with grapeseed oil, but this ingredient is a no-no for some; others rave about using jojoba oil on their faces, but it gives me huge cysts.

for more info, i wholeheartedly recommend hanging out on the skincare board at makeupalley.com. i'm a resident skincare freak over there, and we field all kinds of questions about skin conditions and request for product recommendations. there's tons of knowledge to help you out over there, including that of estheticians and derms, too.

I love, love, love the skincare board at makeupalley. I have the most finicky, stubborn, acne prone skin ever, with rosacea to top it off, and the recommendations on this board really, really helped me!

If I could recommend only two things to try, it would be the following: 1) a Retin-A type product. I use an over the counter one with retinaldehyde in it by the brand Avène (it's called Ystheal). My skin loves this stuff. 2) Every day I use a home micro-dermabrasion scrub with all natural ingredients called Epidermx II (you have to order it online). It schluffs off skin and dirt and really does keep my skin clear. You'd think it would just be hype, but no. When I'm not using this stuff, I have to fight with my face more.

There is other spendy stuff I wish I could do without but can't. (Sigh! You really do have to protect your skin.) I have found a really highly protective sunscreen that my skin tolerates beautifully (quite the feat for my skin) and which is as matte as the day is long by Sofina, but I have to order it online from Asia. I use this toner-type stuff by Bioderma called Micelle solution which I have to order from Europe. I use it every morning instead of a cleanser. It is soooo mild and soothing, and the ingredient list is incredibly short. For a cleanser I use the Laventine oil cleanser (also ordered online, but this one is at least from the States) because it gets all of the sunblock off, but I really love the Bioderma if you're not removing serious makeup or sunblock.

One of the cheaper things I use is Everyday Minerals foundation, because there is no crap in it. My face hates powder, liquid foundation, everything. Not so with this stuff.

There are good odds that you need to change skincare completely, the problem will be figuring out what you tolerate and what you don't. Try some of the stuff by Paula's Choice, I've heard people have had a lot of luck with her toners and BHA products in particular. Try moisturizing with organic virgin coconut oil (look for it at your health food store or order it online). It sinks right in, is not greasy on at all and is way better for your skin than most of the products out there. It doesn't break me out like all other moisturizers. I use this stuff all over my body.

One thing I haven't tried but which is supposed to be great is using organic apple cider vinegar mixed with a bit of water as a toner. Maybe this is similar to the lemon thing people have already mentioned?

For those who are looking to slowly heal acne scarring, I recommend camellia oil if you can tolerate it. A couple of people swear by this stuff on the skincare board, so I thought I'd try it although I was quite skeptical. I can only spot-treat with this oil because I find it can break me out, but three months of putting it on a patch of moderate indented acne scarring on my forhead has literally made the scarring half as deep. Not to mention the fact that the same amount of time putting it on my old (silvery white faded, had them since I was 12) stretch marks has faded them to half of what they were. After this experience, I will look to natural oils first for skincare needs as often as possible. Everyone says that nothing heals stretch marks, so I feel that this is pretty impressive performance for a topical solution, albeit a very gradual one. No overnight results here, and you've got to be diligent, but that doesn't bother me as long as it's working.

And for crying out loud, eat as well as you can! Try eating lots of anti-inflammatories, such as blueberries, rooibus (African redbush) tea, green leafy veggies, etc.

Whew! Good luck. Oh, I should also mention that Diane helped me, but my skin was never completely clear (I was still fighting with fairly regular acne) until I started doing all of the above.

I think that no matter what I try on my skin it won't clear up if I don't fix the inside first. I'm going to try that acne no more document i downloaded. If that doesn't work then I guess I'll try the derm.

or you can change your daily food intake like take more leafy greens and fruits. i drink a glass of kale juice every morning and find that it does help in keeping zits away. then again, there are many factors that could contribute to the zits, it is best to see a dermatologist if nothing works.

homeopathic cures always work!
(for me anyways!)

This is very interesting post. Like many of you, I had problem with acne that started on my late teens. I was the marketing's dream as I buy anything that they are selling to cure acne - proactive, accutane (it works while I was on it), murad and more. In addition, I gone through internal cleansing as well to get rid of toxic in my body and blood. Suggestion by my internalist (sp?). It helps for a bit, but the result did not last, unfortunately. Anyway, about three months ago I visited a dermatologist that actually listened to me and wanted to help me. He prescribed a skin care system called Skin Tx. It's expensive ($570 CAD), but it works for me. I haven't break out since using it and my dark spot are going away. I celebrate everyday that I don't get pimples because I suffered with acne for 13 years. My suggestion is talked to a dermatologist and do a lot of research on any medication or skin care systems that are suggested. Good luck and I hope you find something that will work for you.

i do drink lots and lots of water...helps A LOT but doesn't cure it..when i move i want to go see a dermatologist...hopefully i will be as lucky as yellowknifegirl