Accutane - Anyone tried it?

cafecreme15

Jan 5, 2015
After years and years of trying to treat my cystic acne with creams, pills, lasers, and everything else in the book, my dermatologist and I agreed that I should try Accutane. I know numerous people in my life who have taken it and it has worked wonders for them. I am hopeful it will work, but a bit nervous about some of the side effects. At this point I am willing to try it regardless, but am wondering if I should put it off until the end of summer. What have been your experiences on Accutane? Do you feel the side effects were worth the benefits? As an aside, I understand that there needs to be warnings about the potential for it to cause birth defects, but I have to say I found all the paperwork that only women need to fill out, read, and sign and the gratuitous pregnancy tests to be extremely patronizing. I mean, making women sign a "pledge" to not get pregnant? Come on.

Last edited:
My DD has been on it for 5 months. It's been a VERY slow improvement for her unfortunately.

If you like the sun AT ALL wait until summer's over. You will be very sensitive to it.

The tests aren't patronizing IMO, the birth defects from it are really major. It is a commitment because of that. You have to do a blood test monthly in advance of your monthly dr appt and there you will do a urine test as well.

I'm sorry, but I've been on it 2 times, almost went on it a third, but decided not to, because it's not a cure, just gives you a little relief for a while, but the acne will come back.

Acutane will cure acne for a lot of people but it depends on the person that can build antibodies against acne. Make sure to complete the treatment until acne gone.

Last edited:
Acutane will cure acne for a lot of people but it depends on the person that can build antibodies against acne. Make sure to complete the treatment until acne gone.

Here's hoping I'm one of them! Otherwise I wouldn't even know what to do as this is my last resort. And I'm deathly afraid of getting my blood drawn, so I told my doctor that the fact that I am willing to give Accutane a try shows how close I am to the end of my rope with this [emoji23]

I went on a course of Accutane 30 years ago- I can't believe it's been 30 years!
My 2nd child had been born several months before, I'd had tubal ligation, and summer was over.
It was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

Reactions: cafecreme15
I did accutane 10 years ago (for 6 mos). I did not have a single side effect from accutane. Also, my hair was AMAZING while I was on it. It had so much bounce and body. The accutane completely changed the texture. I did take fish oil tablets while I was on accutane, so I am not sure if that helped with me not getting the normal dry lips or peeling. The only bad experience I had was once I was at the hairdresser getting a relaxer and it felt like my head was on FIRE!! I had never felt pain like that in my life. It was the same relaxer I have used before and never had problems with it. I was screaming and crying at the hair salon - freaked everyone out. I later found out, women who get relaxers should not get them while they are on accutane. My old hairdresser never knew this info, but my current hairdresser always makes sure her clients tell her if they are on certain drugs because they can affect relaxers.

Started getting really bad hormonal acne but 3mos of spirolactane 100mg clearned it right up spironolactone.

Doctors will only prescribe accutane if you have tried everything else there is.

All the paperwork is to say, if something happens to your baby they are not responsible. If you follow all the rules, I see nothing wrong with it.

I did accutane 10 years ago (for 6 mos). I did not have a single side effect from accutane. Also, my hair was AMAZING while I was on it. It had so much bounce and body. The accutane completely changed the texture. I did take fish oil tablets while I was on accutane, so I am not sure if that helped with me not getting the normal dry lips or peeling. The only bad experience I had was once I was at the hairdresser getting a relaxer and it felt like my head was on FIRE!! I had never felt pain like that in my life. It was the same relaxer I have used before and never had problems with it. I was screaming and crying at the hair salon - freaked everyone out. I later found out, women who get relaxers should not get them while they are on accutane. My old hairdresser never knew this info, but my current hairdresser always makes sure her clients tell her if they are on certain drugs because they can affect relaxers.

Started getting really bad hormonal acne but 3mos of spirolactane 100mg clearned it right up spironolactone.

Doctors will only prescribe accutane if you have tried everything else there is.

All the paperwork is to say, if something happens to your baby they are not responsible. If you follow all the rules, I see nothing wrong with it.

I hope I have the same seamless experience! Jut out of curiosity, what kind of relaxer do you get? I get keratin treatments, but I'm not sure this qualifies as a relaxer. But it would be good to know so I can avoid it while on treatment. Also, is spironlactone a different drug than Accutane? I've seen it mentioned in other places on the forum.

I guess I was bothered by the paperwork because kids are not in the cards for me, not now or ever. So I felt insulted that the government insists I do pregnancy tests and makes me read all this information about birth control (as if I haven't been a woman my whole life and don't already know this) even though I will not ever be having kids. But I suppose I am more so the exception than the norm, and the government administrators who run the Accutane program can't be taking time to weed out who has what preferences.

I've also decided to wait until August to begin treatment. I'm going to be very busy this summer with work and won't be able to accommodate any potential side effects until that's done.

I hope I have the same seamless experience! Jut out of curiosity, what kind of relaxer do you get? I get keratin treatments, but I'm not sure this qualifies as a relaxer. But it would be good to know so I can avoid it while on treatment. Also, is spironlactone a different drug than Accutane? I've seen it mentioned in other places on the forum.

I guess I was bothered by the paperwork because kids are not in the cards for me, not now or ever. So I felt insulted that the government insists I do pregnancy tests and makes me read all this information about birth control (as if I haven't been a woman my whole life and don't already know this) even though I will not ever be having kids. But I suppose I am more so the exception than the norm, and the government administrators who run the Accutane program can't be taking time to weed out who has what preferences.

I've also decided to wait until August to begin treatment. I'm going to be very busy this summer with work and won't be able to accommodate any potential side effects until that's done.

I don't use the same relaxer I did years ago; but all major chemicals will react that way (according to my hairdresser I have now and my dermatologist). My hairdresser I have now, makes you fill out paperwork when you become a new client of hers and the form will ask you to state all medications you are on. She also will ask you before she does a relaxer or some sort of chemical every time if you are on any new drugs and makes you fill out a new form every 6mos.

I didn't have an issue with all the paper work and monthly pregnancy test, before you can refill for the month. What I did think was silly, was how you have to state what two forms of birth control you are using. I'm sure most women lie and only use one form of birth control. What if you only use condoms? My derm also made me sign a form stating I would not try or get pregnant for one year after finishing the drug.

Spironlactone is for hormonal acne (pimples on chin and jaw line), but I guess it can be used all over. Like a said, a true dermatologist should only give you accutane as a last resort, after you have tried every cream and antibiotics first. It is not a drug to be played with and there may be something else that works, so that you don't need accutane.

Also, note you are not suppose to drink alcohol while on accutane (it affects your liver). Also, you will purge for about a month when you first start accutane (it will get worst before it gets better).

I have a friend who had to do two rounds of accutane. I was blessed I only had to do one round for 6 mos and stayed clear for 10 years.

Last edited:
Both my brother and sister were on it. My sister was 16 and my brother was 21 respectively when they were on it. It cleared both their acne up pretty good but my sister's kind of came back (she's 30 now), my brother's 25 and his face is still clear. It is a commitment because of the regular blood tests and you really have to eat well because it can spike cholesterol and cause liver issues. The sun will definitely be your enemy.

I've personally never had acne (it runs in my family) but I've also been on the pill since I was 17. I'm actually kind of afraid to go off the pill because my face may explode but I have no plans to have children ever.

Both my brother and sister were on it. My sister was 16 and my brother was 21 respectively when they were on it. It cleared both their acne up pretty good but my sister's kind of came back (she's 30 now), my brother's 25 and his face is still clear. It is a commitment because of the regular blood tests and you really have to eat well because it can spike cholesterol and cause liver issues. The sun will definitely be your enemy.

I've personally never had acne (it runs in my family) but I've also been on the pill since I was 17. I'm actually kind of afraid to go off the pill because my face may explode but I have no plans to have children ever.

Not to be in your business, but you really need to be careful with being on the pill for that long.

I had a blood clot in my lung because of birth control pills. I woke up one day with really bad back pain and had trouble breathing. I told myself it will go away and not to worry. After 2 days, the pain had stopped a bit, but I just did not feel right.

I went to the ER and they took an x-ray and saw nothing, they then took a cat scan and saw the blood cot. They immediately asked me if I was on the pill. I had been on the pill from 17-33 I was in the hospital for 3 days (the back pain came back due to the clot. I was in serious pain). They also informed me, I had to give myself injections for 30 days (blood thinners). I told them I was not comfortable giving myself an injection (not scared of needles, but I sure as hell am not sticking myself with one on purpose).

The nurse came to my room to show me how to do it and I refused to do it. I said give me a pill. She told me it does not work like that the first month and told me I would not be discharged until I learned how to do it. I finally gave in (after 2 hrs of her sitting in my room staring at me). So for 30 days I had to inject myself every morning (I had so many black an blue marks on my legs and stomach because of all the injections). Then after I was done with the injections I went on a drug called Coumidin (sp). When you are on this drug, you have to go to the doctor every other day to have your blood taken (they have to regulate your dosage). It was a pain in the ass going to the doc/hospital then trying to get to work.

Blood clots start in your leg and travel up your body. I could have died because of Yasmin BC. If I would have waited to go to the ER, it could have traveled to my brain. I was on Yasmin for 1yr when this happened in 2007 (I was on Lo-ovarl before that for over 10yrs).. I have never smoked and drink socially, I was shocked that I could get a blood clot. I no longer take any hormonal birth control. One of the lab technicians who would take my blood told me the same thing happened to her sister who was on the birth control patch. Unfortunately her sister passed away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karyn22

Thank you for sharing these articles, Sassys! Although I've tried numerous other pills and antibiotics, after reading these I can see why my dermatologist never put me on spiro. It sounds like Accutane is the right choice for me in light of my medical history. I am heartened by the 90% success rate. My acne isn't all that bad in that my face is almost never all broken out at once. The acne I get, however, is cystic and very painful. It lasts forever (pretty much until I get it infected) and scars horribly. So I am by no means one of the more severe cases, so I am optimistic I will have success on Accutane. I'm just really not looking forward to all the blood work, but I will have to get over my fear.