Accidental bid! Unpaid item case opened.

gayboy

*not actually gay* i'm elle
Aug 1, 2013
Hi, I was bidding on a wallet on eBay. The bids were still quite low, so I just intended to set my maximum bid at £20. Instead, I accidentally set it at £200. :blah:

I immediately messaged the seller asking them to retract the bid, but either they didn't see it or the item ended before they saw it (it only had 8 hours left so this isn't unlikely). They didn't get time to remove the bid and I ended up winning for £155 (I only intended to go as high as £90/100). I politely messaged them (again) explaining, and they replied:
I WILL NO LONGER TOLERATE TIME WASTER'S & DREAMER'S SO I WILL BE OPENING AN UNPAID ITEM CASE TO GET MY LISTING FEE'S BACK MAYBE NEXT TIME YOU BID ON SOMETHING YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE THAT YOU CAN AFFORD IT
So that's what they did. My question is, eBay are now telling me I have to pay for the item, but I don't want to, will they take the money from my account?

I feel bad because I know how much we all hate time-wasters and non-payers, but this was a genuine mistake and I expressed remorse in my message to the seller. :crybaby:

While the auction was going, you could've retracted the bid yourself. eBay cannot make you pay, but you will get a NPB strike on your account.

Accidents certainly do happen, but keep in mind that eBay gives you multiple screens on which to confirm your bid amount, and sellers often get very nice stories about why buyers can't pay; please don't blame the seller in the case, because she has no way to know whether or not you're making up your story.

While the auction was going, you could've retracted the bid yourself. eBay cannot make you pay, but you will get a NPB strike on your account.

Accidents certainly do happen, but keep in mind that eBay gives you multiple screens on which to confirm your bid amount, and sellers often get very nice stories about why buyers can't pay; please don't blame the seller in the case, because she has no way to know whether or not you're making up your story.
\

I'm not blaming the seller :smile:

Thanks for the reply, you pretty much summed up everything I needed to know!

My question is, eBay are now telling me I have to pay for the item, but I don't want to, will they take the money from my account?

eBay cannot take the money from your account without you going through the checkout process. If you choose not to pay, you will earn a strike for non-payment on your account. Just chalk it up as a lesson learned.

This^^

The response that you received from the seller was appropriate under the
circumstances.

You probably were not the first buyer who did this & thus his/her strong
message.

If you have no intention of paying for this, just take the NPB strike
& chalk it up to a learning experience...

Ebay/paypal does not have access to take the money from your account

eBay cannot take the money from your account without you going through the checkout process. If you choose not to pay, you will earn a strike for non-payment on your account. Just chalk it up as a lesson learned.

This. Also, OP could not retract the bid at that late a stage in the auction :

"If you place a bid before the last 12-hour period of the auction : you may retract that bid before that last 12-hour period but only for exceptional circumstances."

From: http://pages.ebay.com/ebaymotors/help/buyerguide/bidding-retract.html

Yeah, they say "exceptional circumstances" but everyone just ignores that.

OP, considering you did send a note to the seller before auction end asking them to retract your bid I think their response was a little harsh. OTOH, it was your error and you frankly deserve the NPB strike because you're not fulfilling your part of the contract (even though it was an error). If you are really concerned about the strike just call eBay and explain the situation. They'll probably remove it for you.

Yeah, they say "exceptional circumstances" but everyone just ignores that.

OP, considering you did send a note to the seller before auction end asking them to retract your bid I think their response was a little harsh. OTOH, it was your error and you frankly deserve the NPB strike because you're not fulfilling your part of the contract (even though it was an error). If you are really concerned about the strike just call eBay and explain the situation. They'll probably remove it for you.

I'm not concerned about the strike, its my first one ever (in 6 years!), lesson learnt 😊

I understand the sellers perspective. However, they do have the option to cancel the sale which will refund their final value fee, listing fee and your obligation to pay.
I have made certain exceptions. I must say that eBay is an advocate for buyers and not sellers, so when stuff like this happens it is quite irritating.
HTH. ;)