Academy Awards Sunday February 24, 2019

Nope, not going to watch .. tired of so many Award Shows and the worst .. that the nominees get a "gift" basket of over $100k worth of goods .. SERIOUSLY?!?!?! These are folks that DO NOT need that and with the homeless epidemic we have out here in California, wouldn't it be nice if they all donated that stuff to help these people out .. especially those that are homeless not of their own doing (lost their job, lost their housing, etc.). I'm not a big supporter of the druggies or boozers who are homeless, but when I see a family that is homeless, it's very sad.

Reactions: White Orchid
I will be!! I love the Red Carpet and I live for the off the cuff speeches, the rest of the boring stuff not so much. Still not entirely clear why Queen is performing since they are not nominated for a song. I’m thinking that’s how they are going to open the show since there is no host.

Nope, not going to watch .. tired of so many Award Shows and the worst .. that the nominees get a "gift" basket of over $100k worth of goods .. SERIOUSLY?!?!?! These are folks that DO NOT need that and with the homeless epidemic we have out here in California, wouldn't it be nice if they all donated that stuff to help these people out .. especially those that are homeless not of their own doing (lost their job, lost their housing, etc.). I'm not a big supporter of the druggies or boozers who are homeless, but when I see a family that is homeless, it's very sad.

So because they are rich they don’t deserve to be spoiled for their accomplishments?? It’s not about need, it’s about a celebration.

So because they are rich they don’t deserve to be spoiled for their accomplishments?? It’s not about need, it’s about a celebration.
Yes, it is about a celebration .. but isn't the Award & dinner enough? Not to mention that they get all dolled-up for the occasion .. do they buy those dresses and/or jewels? .. nope, they are either gifted or loaned.

We have the Golden Globes, the Palme d'Or, the BAFTA's,. the Emmy's and the Academy Awards .. how many more do we need? In addition, there are plenty of private parties out here in LA (LA Women in Film, Vanity Fair, etc.) which all acknowledge the nominees. Not sure where you live, but out here in LA you really can't go very far without seeing vast tents & communities with homeless people. Just the other day, a good friend of mine helped out a homeless person (and her dog) .. since it has been quite cold out here (for SoCal), and the gal was literally sleeping on the sidewalk with the only warmth being her dog (a puppy). She had lost her job and her CA unemployment ran out, and with rents being so astronomical here (just like NYC), if you can't pay the rent .. OUT you go.

It is an EPIC problem out here in Southern California, but also includes Northern California, Oregon and Washington state. The cost of living out here is quite high; the 'rich' folk live in certain areas and trust me - they have high walls, high security .. everything to protect themselves and the Police in those areas patrol constantly. Once you get outside Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Pacific Palisades, etc. - trust me, things are VERY different. Downtown LA has streets where the homeless live (and alas, those are the ones that I won't support because they are oftentimes drug-abusers or boozers). But as you get outside the downtown area, West Hollywood, Pasadena, the San Fernando Valley (where I live) .. the scene and story can be quite different.

Just like Vancouver BC, many houses being sold are just razed to the ground and bought up by some Developer (oftentimes non-American) and then they build yet another ugly 'cube' with expensive inside details and ask MILLIONS (just watch Million Dollar Listing - LA to see what I'm talking about). Who buys these houses? .. oftentimes, it's not an American, but a foreign national who can pay with Cash. So, what's happening is that folks who grew up here and are not making millions of $$ are having a hard time living here. The Taxes are outrageous; our utility bills are outrageous .. such that many residents are now leaving LA to go live in Arizona or Nevada .. it's a lot cheaper. But, what about their children? .. can they afford a house out here? In a lot of cases, nope .. not unless they also make a LOT of $$$.

So, when I see many people in this town making a LOT of $$$ and not a single dime of it goes to any charities at all, they demand lower prices (wholesale or less) from various retails or artisans. and forget even ALLOWING or thinking about having any low-income housing in their town?!?! .. well, yes .. that is disturbing. Remember too that these with high incomes have now also gotten a big tax break; not for the rest of us (many who either have to pay for the first time or are getting a significant decrease in their refund). I guess you just have to see it / experience it to see what I'm really referring to here ..

Yes, it is about a celebration .. but isn't the Award & dinner enough? Not to mention that they get all dolled-up for the occasion .. do they buy those dresses and/or jewels? .. nope, they are either gifted or loaned.

We have the Golden Globes, the Palme d'Or, the BAFTA's,. the Emmy's and the Academy Awards .. how many more do we need? In addition, there are plenty of private parties out here in LA (LA Women in Film, Vanity Fair, etc.) which all acknowledge the nominees. Not sure where you live, but out here in LA you really can't go very far without seeing vast tents & communities with homeless people. Just the other day, a good friend of mine helped out a homeless person (and her dog) .. since it has been quite cold out here (for SoCal), and the gal was literally sleeping on the sidewalk with the only warmth being her dog (a puppy). She had lost her job and her CA unemployment ran out, and with rents being so astronomical here (just like NYC), if you can't pay the rent .. OUT you go.

It is an EPIC problem out here in Southern California, but also includes Northern California, Oregon and Washington state. The cost of living out here is quite high; the 'rich' folk live in certain areas and trust me - they have high walls, high security .. everything to protect themselves and the Police in those areas patrol constantly. Once you get outside Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Pacific Palisades, etc. - trust me, things are VERY different. Downtown LA has streets where the homeless live (and alas, those are the ones that I won't support because they are oftentimes drug-abusers or boozers). But as you get outside the downtown area, West Hollywood, Pasadena, the San Fernando Valley (where I live) .. the scene and story can be quite different.

Just like Vancouver BC, many houses being sold are just razed to the ground and bought up by some Developer (oftentimes non-American) and then they build yet another ugly 'cube' with expensive inside details and ask MILLIONS (just watch Million Dollar Listing - LA to see what I'm talking about). Who buys these houses? .. oftentimes, it's not an American, but a foreign national who can pay with Cash. So, what's happening is that folks who grew up here and are not making millions of $$ are having a hard time living here. The Taxes are outrageous; our utility bills are outrageous .. such that many residents are now leaving LA to go live in Arizona or Nevada .. it's a lot cheaper. But, what about their children? .. can they afford a house out here? In a lot of cases, nope .. not unless they also make a LOT of $$$.

So, when I see many people in this town making a LOT of $$$ and not a single dime of it goes to any charities at all, they demand lower prices (wholesale or less) from various retails or artisans. and forget even ALLOWING or thinking about having any low-income housing in their town?!?! .. well, yes .. that is disturbing. Remember too that these with high incomes have now also gotten a big tax break; not for the rest of us (many who either have to pay for the first time or are getting a significant decrease in their refund). I guess you just have to see it / experience it to see what I'm really referring to here ..

I will watch the show, because for me, it's old Hollywood. One of the original award shows, and hopefully a few folks will show some class. Maybe. At least the industry does provide a lot of jobs for the not famous as well. A friend of one of my sons works in set decoration and another son's girlfriend is the assistant to a star's makeup artist, for example. These little people need the paycheck.

I absolutely get your point. I live in the San Gabriel Valley and it's hard to see (let alone understand why) excess and want can exist in the same block. And you have a very good point that these celebrities do not need a bag full of free stuff. It would be great if someone respected in the industry stepped up and said let's give to the community instead of lining our pockets.

Reactions: Jennifer Marvin
I will watch the show, because for me, it's old Hollywood. One of the original award shows, and hopefully a few folks will show some class. Maybe. At least the industry does provide a lot of jobs for the not famous as well. A friend of one of my sons works in set decoration and another son's girlfriend is the assistant to a star's makeup artist, for example. These little people need the paycheck.

I absolutely get your point. I live in the San Gabriel Valley and it's hard to see (let alone understand why) excess and want can exist in the same block. And you have a very good point that these celebrities do not need a bag full of free stuff. It would be great if someone respected in the industry stepped up and said let's give to the community instead of lining our pockets.
EXACTLY!!! Some celebs HAVE given the items to charities; I wish more of them would -OR- better yet, have those companies give to various charities and MENTION the celeb's approval / name. That would be fantastic!!!

How do you know who gives what to charity??? You don’t know their personal finances. The same thing just happened to Andy Cohen when the Housewives threw him a baby shower. Someone called in and said “Well I’m disappointed that there was nothing set aside for charity.” So apparently because he’s rich, he’s not allowed to just let his friends celebrate him and give him gifts that they received at their shower, books they read to their kids, etc. And you know what?? He had actually already donated to some local place in NY from stuff that he had received from companies, fans, etc. It’s just not something that he put out in social media so no one knew about it. Just because people are famous doesn’t mean they don’t give to charity, and it doesn’t mean they shouldn’t get to enjoy the perks of being famous.

I will be!! I love the Red Carpet and I live for the off the cuff speeches, the rest of the boring stuff not so much. Still not entirely clear why Queen is performing since they are not nominated for a song. I’m thinking that’s how they are going to open the show since there is no host.

Because Bohemian Rhapsody has 5 Oscar nominations including Best Picture and Best Actor!

I didn't know that, I wonder what's in the gift basket.

How much is rent in LA?

Are you talking about Vancouver, Canada?

Because Bohemian Rhapsody has 5 Oscar nominations including Best Picture and Best Actor!

Yes but they don’t normally have performers outside of what is nominated for Best Song. They tried to cut out four awards from being televised to save time, and now they’re adding extra performances. I mean I will be glad to see them, just weird that they are breaking with tradition. But again, I also expect they will open the show and it will take the place of an opening monologue.

How much is rent in LA?

Are you talking about Vancouver, Canada?
It depends on where you are .. but generally the median average is likely around $3500/month (our next door neighbors are paying that much for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath)!!!

Yes, I was talking about Vancouver, British Columbia - CANADA. I have many friends / family there, and they all complain about the expense in living there and the fact that they are very unlikely to be able to purchase a home.

Well folks, enjoy the show .. I'm outta here ..