About to pull the trigger on my first two Chanel bags - is this the right combo?

bem3231

O.G.
Aug 10, 2008
Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks, as always, to all of the wonderful people who helpfully post such useful information on these forums. I am always amazed at the wealth of knowledge present here and have benefited tremendously from all of your wisdom over the years. Of course, this forum is also horribly enabling in a very costly way, but then we all know that!

After years spent collecting LV I am now branching out into Hermes and Chanel. I am about to purchase my first two Chanel bags by phone in order to beat the price increase. I would love some feedback on whether you think that this is a wise 'combo' that I am considering. FYI I am 5'9", 135 lbs, 39 years old, and stay-at-home mom to a 21 month old. That should give you some idea of my lifestyle!

Ok, the two bags that I have on hold are:

1) Black caviar jumbo flap with gold hardware

2) Pale gold lambskin m/l flap with gold hardware. The only photo that I've found (I think it's the same bag) is here, courtesy of another tPFer who recently purchased this stunner:

http://instagr.am/p/eXYr5/

The jumbo and m/l flaps are also currently available at my boutique in beige caviar, which I love, however I'm thinking that the black caviar jumbo would be the most 'practical' and versatile day use bag, while the pale gold would be a lovely and unique more 'special occasion' bag that could still be dressed down for a special lunch or such during the day.

Am I doing the right thing? Will I regret anything about this combo? Importantly, will this satiate my Chanel obsession for a while? :graucho:

Any feedback or advice would be most appreciated!

A big THANK YOU!!

The black jumbo is a definite. You can go either way on the pale gold or the beige. Both of those choices are so beautiful. I would maybe go with beige over the pale gold because you are building your collection and I think it's nice to start with the basics. Plus with the little one being so young, the beige caviar is more practical. On the other hand, IMO that pale gold is a pretty special color... AHH, they're all great colors!! I've probably confused you even more now! Let us know what you end up choosing.

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks, as always, to all of the wonderful people who helpfully post such useful information on these forums. I am always amazed at the wealth of knowledge present here and have benefited tremendously from all of your wisdom over the years. Of course, this forum is also horribly enabling in a very costly way, but then we all know that!

After years spent collecting LV I am now branching out into Hermes and Chanel. I am about to purchase my first two Chanel bags by phone in order to beat the price increase. I would love some feedback on whether you think that this is a wise 'combo' that I am considering. FYI I am 5'9", 135 lbs, 39 years old, and stay-at-home mom to a 21 month old. That should give you some idea of my lifestyle!

Ok, the two bags that I have on hold are:

1) Black caviar jumbo flap with gold hardware

2) Pale gold lambskin m/l flap with gold hardware. The only photo that I've found (I think it's the same bag) is here, courtesy of another tPFer who recently purchased this stunner:

http://instagr.am/p/eXYr5/

The jumbo and m/l flaps are also currently available at my boutique in beige caviar, which I love, however I'm thinking that the black caviar jumbo would be the most 'practical' and versatile day use bag, while the pale gold would be a lovely and unique more 'special occasion' bag that could still be dressed down for a special lunch or such during the day.

Am I doing the right thing? Will I regret anything about this combo? Importantly, will this satiate my Chanel obsession for a while? :graucho:

Any feedback or advice would be most appreciated!

A big THANK YOU!!

Bem - as a mom, I prefer roomier bags and I find m/l rather small for the things I carry daily. Black jumbo in caviar is a good decision but I would go for dark beige in the business flap, I'm not too sure about this season's colors. Or forget about the beige, go for navy blue, goes so well with jeans plus a clutch flap in gold, saw a reveal, for evenings. The prices of ITB and clutch flap come up a bit more than a jumbo. ITB is really roomy and light, I love it.

In a nutshell, I would go for the below if I have a budget for 2 jumbos.

1. Jumbo in caviar black with gold hardware
2. In The Business flap in navy, ITB comes only in silver hardware
3. Clutch flap in pale gold

Hope this helps.

I think your choice is great.

Black Jumbo GHW is a classic.

Not too sure about the lambskin pale gold M/L, would be very delicate around the little one.

Might be best to swap it with the caviar beige M/L, I think that will be easier to look after

Bem - as a mom, I prefer roomier bags and I find m/l rather small for the things I carry daily. Black jumbo in caviar is a good decision but I would go for dark beige in the business flap, I'm not too sure about this season's colors. Or forget about the beige, go for navy blue, goes so well with jeans plus a clutch flap in gold, saw a reveal, for evenings. The prices of ITB and clutch flap come up a bit more than a jumbo. ITB is really roomy and light, I love it.

In a nutshell, I would go for the below if I have a budget for 2 jumbos.

1. Jumbo in caviar black with gold hardware
2. In The Business flap in navy, ITB comes only in silver hardware
3. Clutch flap in pale gold

Hope this helps.

I totally agree!
ITB is TDF and VEry roomy as a purse.Also it's the closest to the classics, yet less pricey!
The 3 options (given your budget) are THE perfect choices when building up a chanel collection IMO!
GL deciding!

You picked a winner! I personally will not get the med just cause I don't want to spend so much on something I can only use on special occasions. It's ok to spend maybe 1000 on lv clutch sobe or vernis clutch. Go!

hey Op, perfect combo!! =) can't go wrong with black jumbo GHW.. and the beige gold M/L looks like a very special piece to have in the collection, though i would swap it with the beige claire.. but if you love it, you love it ^^

Thanks so much for your feedback, everyone!

I think your choice is great.

Black Jumbo GHW is a classic.

Not too sure about the lambskin pale gold M/L, would be very delicate around the little one.

Might be best to swap it with the caviar beige M/L, I think that will be easier to look after

This is the major debate raging in my head... Although I think that I will adore the gold, will I regret not having gotten the beige caviar? To be honest, I don't really see myself carrying the m/l when I have my little one in tow, but who knows? I guess if I got the pale gold and wanted the beige in the future it will always be available, but with the coming price increase I'm not sure that I can justify two m/l flaps given that I don't think that I will find the bag very practical for me. Oh, what to do...

I'd love to hear more responses!

i would not get a pale, metallic lamb bag. that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen lol. lamb is known for being delicate and prone to scratching, metallics usually show wear quite easily. i would get a dark lamb color if i really wanted lamb or go with an aged calf. i would suggest the pale gold aged calf reissue for a more special occasion bag.