??? About non paying final value fee and 2nd chance

mytwocents

Apr 25, 2008
Hello couple questions for those who are ebay wiser

I have a non payer it's been 4 days no response to emails

1) does eBay charge the fvf even if I don't open a case

2) I want to do second chance offer to someone else should I do that after opening a case? Before? and then I wouldn't even have to open a case?

I don't want to end up paying fvf twice

thanks!

Slight correction- you get your FVF back when you *close* the NPB case. Once you file the case, the buyer still has 4 days to make the payment and purchase. Ebay holds onto your fees for dear life till it HAS to let go.

Some sellers relist as soon as the case is filed, and then if the original buyer does pay, they refund it and explain they're not interested in doing business any longer. This strategy unfortunately risks a negative feedback.

I usually go ahead file, and then if they pay during the 4 days before the case can be closed, I go ahead and ship. I haven't *yet* gotten bitten for this, but I understand some buyers get their undies in a wad and leave negatives just because a case was filed, even if they don't get a strike.

What you might do is message the person who you'd send the second chance offer to, and let them know that the winning buyer has not paid for the item, and if they don't pay by the time the case can be closed, you would like to issue a second chance offer. This might help that second buyer determine whether or not to buy a substitute item in the mean time. If they message back and say they're not interested/already purchased something else, then I'd wait out the 4 days on the NPB before relisting so you don't risk a negative from the original buyer.

JMHO.

Oh, and you MUST open a case if you don't want that original buyer to have recourse against you for selling it to someone else.

You will pay a second FVF if the second buyer accepted the second chance offer, but closing a NPB case will get your original FVF fee refunded, so you only pay it once.

Thanks so much I will def open a case first to get my fvf back . Can I just close the case after 4 days if they still haven't paid and get my fvf amount?
I don't have to wait more than that right?
Thanks because I read this on eBay 5 times but wanna make sure I go about it right.

Thanks so much I will def open a case first to get my fvf back . Can I just close the case after 4 days if they still haven't paid and get my fvf amount?
I don't have to wait more than that right?
Thanks because I read this on eBay 5 times but wanna make sure I go about it right.

Yes. If they haven't responded in 4 days, then you will see an option in your resolution menu to close the case. Do it as soon as it's available! The buyer *can* close the case earlier, but I've never actually had that happen. Either way, once it's closed, your FVF is automatically credited.

And please take Schientist's good advice regarding messaging the buyer you were going to send the second chance offer to. I once received a second chance offer about 12 days after my original bid was lost - but I already had bid on & won a similar item! I wish I had gotten an email saying that I *might* have a chance at the item I originally bid on & lost, because I might have waited a little bit longer :biggrin:

You are all so helpful.
I was going to email the second chancers to give them a heads up but hesitated but now I think they wouldn't mind the email.
Now I know what to do.
Thanks again ladies!

I think MOST people wouldn't mind a pleasantly worded "heads up" about a second chance offer. I know I wouldn't be at all offended!

Good luck- I hope you have a better buyer the next time around!

Hello everyone I have an updated question. Last week I had a non payer and opened the case.

It's been 3 days since opening it, tomorrow is day 4, but it's already giving me the option to close the case.

If I close it now will I get my FVF back or do I have to wait until 4 days.

I would like to relist today as it's Sunday and I would like it to end next Sunday.

Thanks again!!

nevermind ...I tried to close it and it says 4 days will be tomorrow and that I can't close it yet unless I got the payment ,which I haven't, so I will just wait until tomorrow to close.