Aaaaah! Mulberry won't let me buy a new strap!

May 7, 2007
I think Mulberry have got wise to us buying webbed straps for our Roxy's!!!

I have just phoned Mulberry Repairs (Customer Services put me through to them) and asked for a Dark Brown Webbed strap for my Seth bag and they said that they can't send straps out direct to customers and that I need to take my Seth bag into a store and they will look at the strap that needs replacing and complete a repairs form and the strap will be sent to them!

Problems with this:-

A: I don't actually HAVE a Seth bag I just wanted a strap for my Roxy.
b: Even if I did, I don't live anywhere near a Mulberry store.

That's really annoying!

That's not good news! But I don't understand...I thought you could just order one if you wanted to? i.e. LV sells straps separately on the website, for example, I just thought Mulberry did this via the phone instead....I'm confused!

No - it has been said that Mulberry don't like you to change the look of their bags, ie putting a long strap on the Roxanne so you can wear it as a messenger style.

Lots of ladies have done this but I think they have all had other bags such as the Martha that they have just taken the straps off.

I don't see why they should be bothered though - I mean, surely its up to me what I want to do with my bags, also I'm not asking for one for free, a webbed strap (for a Seth or Martha) costs £50, which I think is expensive really for a strap anyway. Surely, if I am paying for it I should be able to use it in anyway I like!

I don't see why they should be bothered though - I mean, surely its up to me what I want to do with my bags, also I'm not asking for one for free, a webbed strap (for a Seth or Martha) costs £50, which I think is expensive really for a strap anyway. Surely, if I am paying for it I should be able to use it in anyway I like!

Absolutely!

The only thing with putting a strap on the Rox though,is it can alter the way the leather breaks in on the bottom of the bag,causing it to go 'banana' shaped.Its ok on the Rosemary,as thats the 'shorter wheelbase' if you like..LOL!! But with there being such a bigger expanse of leather on the underside of the Rox,it can buckle it wrong,plus crease the leather in between the front pockets where there should'nt be one,and leave you with a mis-shapen bag.

Thats how it was explained to me by a lady high up in Mulberry at any rate,as I did specifically ask the question for other members on here.

I must admit,it does seem to make sense being able to put a strap on it,but in veiw of what I was told,that made sense too,and if I ever could'nt be bothered carrying a Rox about,I'd go for something easier that would leave me truly hands free. xx

well, you learn something new every day!

But why put a hoop either side of the roxy, which I thought was specifically for the purpose of adding a strap?? I suppose that's just the design they will say?

^^^^^^ Yep,all part of the design,not really functional at all. I guess as its the bigger version of the Rosemaery,thats why.
But after it was explained to me,I understood perfectly why you should'nt really put a strap on it,its not a messenger bag,its for arm or handholding.Shoulder if you are skinny enough. And interestingly,its true,the strap does pull the ends up,causing a 'banana' effect,and then a big wrinkle in the leather between the pockets where it should remain flat.Its ok having a strap on a new bag,when the lether is very tough and not broken in,but as the bag ages,it does soften,and a strap can really cause the whole bag to be pulled out of shape.
As you might have noticed from the collinil thread,I am absolutely not shy about testing things on my bags.Before I took the plunge and bought a strap,I tried it out with a couple of old leather belts on my older worn in choc Rox,and it really was pulled out of shape by it.I did'nt like the shape it pulled into,as I got the Rox for its original look,which is a bit more boxy.
But its horses for courses,if a strap is what you want,and works for you then who's to say don't do it?? Personally,if you want a messenger type bag,a Rockley or Barnaby may be a better bet??

I also wanted a long strap so that I could put it onto my Chocolate Somerset Shoulder bag as that has a short strap but I think it would be great with a longer strap too and as both my Somerset and Roxy are Chocolate it made sense to get one that I could use with both.

^^^^^^ Yep,all part of the design,not really functional at all. I guess as its the bigger version of the Rosemaery,thats why.

The Rosemary is the smaller version of the Roxanne - the Roxanne was produced long before the Rosemary so I doubt that's why the D-rings were added.

I don't use my messenger strap all that often but I'm pleased that I have it for when I've gone shopping, haven't planned on buying much so taken Roxanne with me and then ended up with loads of bags. It's really handy then. And there has been NO sagging at all on my bag :shrugs:

Ali, you'll just have to buy a chocolate Martha or Seth and swap the straps round ;)

Go to a guitar shop and look for a strap that you like. Bigger range of straps that will work for a fraction of the price. I live in the US and don't have much access to Mulberry and have had to improvise.

Zooba that's a good idea!!

I was also going to try to get a long strap for my choc somerset shoulder bag which I've used loads over the summer. It's nice as a shoulder bag but would be good to have a change. However sounds like I may have to get a joel or antony instead. More spending!!

The Rosemary is the smaller version of the Roxanne - the Roxanne was produced long before the Rosemary so I doubt that's why the D-rings were added.

I don't use my messenger strap all that often but I'm pleased that I have it for when I've gone shopping, haven't planned on buying much so taken Roxanne with me and then ended up with loads of bags. It's really handy then. And there has been NO sagging at all on my bag :shrugs:

Ali, you'll just have to buy a chocolate Martha or Seth and swap the straps round ;)

Ah,now you see,that was'nt explained to me at the time,I was told they both came out at the same time as they were by the same designer.Maybe they were designed at the same time,and one came out first?? Dunno,I was'nt that into Mulberry at that point so I can't say with any certainty. I do know,that when I did the belt thing on my choc Rox,it did'nt look so great.But after having the vanilla one,and it was much newer,you're right,it won't sag.But with my old girl,it really did,so I decided against it.
Shame really,as I was dead set on the idea at the time as it was when Sophie was very small,and I really did need to be hands free to chase,grab or carry her.Whole other story now though,now I can have a totally hand held,as she can walk along holding my hand.

I wouldn't use the long strap on my Roxy all the time but I do think that on occasions it would be nice to have the option.

Anyway, I will find an alternative way of getting one - maybe a new purchase.